Front shock absorbers need replaced

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mexican

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang grande
I checked all the sugested threads and could not find one that tells you how to safely replace the front shocks, went to youtube and no luck, want to do it myself so i need advise please!!!:-/

Front shocks are easy to replace and there is no danger to you in the process unless you bust a knuckle or drop a shock on your toe.

You can do it with the car on the ground, though access is easier with the front on jack stands. You can reach in and do it with the wheels and tires on, but again, taking them off makes access much easier.

On the bottom side of the shock there are 2 studs that protrude through the coil spring seat. Remove the nuts and washers.

Up top, there are 3 nuts that hold the shock absorber upper mount to the shock tower. The shock mounts to this with a nut, a cup washer a rubber bushing on each side and another cup washer. Remove all 4 nuts (The shock will have a flats at the top to help you keep it from turning while you remove the nut.) lift the shock mount off and them remove the shock.

Reassemble the new shock to the upper mount in the same manner (loosely) Lower it until the studs drop through the holes in the coil spring mount and reinstall the washers and nuts

Put the new shock onto the upper support and push down to get the upper mount back over the bolts, reinstall washers and nuts. Snug everything up. and you are ready to do the other side.

yup it is replacing the front springs that can be dangerous. shocks are easy to replace.

Thanks guys, going outside to check and get a better idea of what you guys described!

Got one replaced but in the process i striped the treads on one of the 3 boltd on the tower, am i in trouble here??

nah, the bolts are just basic carriage bolts like you find at Lowes. Look at the keyhole it fits onto, just work it out and go get a replacement or three and cut them to length.
Thank you, feel much better now!!:bravo:

Back