Front Shoulder Belts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

csa1861

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Medium Bright Yellow Mach 1. 351C 2v. Bought new by my grandfather in 1973. Gonna pass it along to my daughter one day.
Anyone ever put shoulder belts in the front of a '73 Mach 1? I cannot find any info on how to do this or if it's possible. The car may have had t hem at one point, but my grandfather put in a new headliner years ago and they are not there now.

The car should have come with shoulder belts in 1973. If you feel around the headliner to the back of and above the front seats you should be able to feel the mounting point behind there. I installed newer style retractable 3 points in mine several years ago as passengers were having a hard time figuring out how to work the originals and they were quite sun damaged and likely not safe.

The car should have come with shoulder belts in 1973. If you feel around the headliner to the back of and above the front seats you should be able to feel the mounting point behind there. I installed newer style retractable 3 points in mine several years ago as passengers were having a hard time figuring out how to work the originals and they were quite sun damaged and likely not safe.

Pony,

Did the new retractable bolt directly in or did you have to make modifications? Thinking of changing mine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do you recall where you got them?

If you search the forum for seat belts you'll find several threads about them. To to the More tab at the upper right of this page and pull down Search.

I have these ... if you use your original bolts, they are a direct bolt in for the 71-3's

If you don't have the original shoulder belt bolts / spacers I might have some from a parts car

3point_lg.JPG

http://www.ohiomustang.com/store/order_page.asp?itemid=3256

i ordered a set that looks like that from cjponyparts.com. I have not installed it yet. it claims "bolt in", but on my car, nothing is easy. It takes only 1 corroded factory hole that needs to be retapped, or a problem with a bolt on the bottom end, to turn a 2 hour project into a 2 week project. I don't have an inside work area where I can leave my car dissembled, so I am pretty cautious when it comes to starting any project.

They became mandatory as of January 1, 1972 models...

Ummm...I think shoulder belts up front became mandatory for the 1968 model year.

Ummm...I think shoulder belts up front became mandatory for the 1968 model year.
My bad... I was thinking about the seat belt retractors. In ‘71, they did not have mandatory retractors. As of January 1, 1972, All Ford car’s incorporated them... Right date, wrong application... Thanks for clarifying.

apparently not in Mexico...
The body shell was still built in Dearborn, correct ?

If so,  would think all the weld nuts are there.

So do I just feel around until I find the mounts and then cut a hole in the headliner?

Back