hot rodding a 351 m

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think the reason the 351M and even the 400 are looked upon badly is that they came about at a time when performance engines were slowly disappearing from the market (70 gas crunch, insurance, etc...).

Due to the timing of their release, there was minimal factory "hot rodding" parts available (pretty much what ever parts swapped over from the 351 Cleveland). And then there was no aftermarket support. This is why I think they are overlooked.

If they were released 5 years earlier, they would have taken on a whole new persona...they were pretty much gelded by the "new emissions standards", lower octane fuel and the industry drive to shifting to smaller cars.

I want to say I recall reading an article some time back that the 400 was considered for the Mustang...but we see that route wasn't taken. If they had been dropped into the Mustang, you can only imagine the different parts availability...might have even been a Boss 400...who knows?;)

If you look around though, there are some companies starting to make better design intakes. Since the Cleveland heads are able to be swapped out, better designs are already available.

Biggest hurdle is the pistons...but I have seen flat tops available a few years ago...you could even have some custom made, pricing isn't too bad on that route.

I think we as car folks are at a great point in time for car parts, lot's of aftermarket availability, many years of research and development already done, prices are decent, materials are better...a lot easier to hot rod now a days than even 20 year ago.

I think with a litte dilligence and a lot of on line searching, you could easily put together a respectable 351M.

Just my thoughts anyways...

Michael[/php]

if the 1981 351M made 200hp at the crank when new i'd be surprised. So Ford probably had a rotating assembly to match. That long stroke came with long rods...rated for under 200hp. Why build a top end when the bottom end would be expected to grenade immediately after?
The m cranks are very stout one of the first stroker "kits" for the 351w involved taking a 400m crank milling the front to fit in a windsor and offset grinding the rod journals. This produced the 408w and was pretty frequent in the late 70's early 80's.

I had a '78 f150 with a 351m in it with headers and aftermarket intake and that thing was a beast, really drank the gas though.

Last edited by a moderator:
so it was a very inefficient engine from the factory. look, Kaase uses the 400m to win Engine Masters competitions, but the factory had to deal with the fed and they had given up on performance (efficiency) at that point. they needed more time to balance the govt demands with the need to sell cars. was a dark, dark time in America. sigh, zepplin released in thru the out door and disco was on the radio.

I had one that I rebuilt in a 1973 Ford LTD 2Dr. Big engine with not a lot of power, but I built it back stock. Talk about a lead sled. Smooth though, I paid a whopping $350 for the car before the rebuild. ;)

Back