I thought I had the original 8-track radio until today

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want authentic 8track for the car you need to find a Pioneer super tuner TP-900 that bolts "underdash" ha ha ha ! And you smash yer shin on it every time you get in the car. Hard to believer the industry used the term "underdash"....and dont forget you will need a matchbook to shove under the plastic 8track to make it play the correct track. Those Columbia House 8tracks always seemed to be the worst. Trying to hear "Black Dog" was always tricky.
Thanks for a good laugh and the trip down memory lane. A lot (most) of my friends had bruised shins from bumping into my high dollar "Underdash" Kraco 8 track tape player. I believe I spent a whopping 29.95 at K Mart. No Sir, no Sparkomatic for my crusin' buddies!

I was also a member of the Columbia House Club, and they did seem to be worse than my other 8 tracks for dragging and needing to be shimmed. Anyone that rode with me knew they were responsible for bringing 8track shim stock. Usually a matchbook, piece of drink cup, or for those friends of mine who rolled their own "cigarettes" a pack of Zig-Zag rolling papers. :whistling:

I know this is an older thread but I just read it for the first time. I have sitting on my work bench a date coded 1973 am/fm 8track. I don't know it's condition as to if it works other then when I put power to it the light came on. If someone is interested pm me and we can talk. I'm in the market for an am 8track.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know this is an older thread but I just read it for the first time. I have sitting on my work bench a date coded 1973 am/fm 8track. I don't know it's condition as to if it works other then when I put power to it the light came on. If someone is interested pm me and we can talk. I'm in the market for an am 8track.
Didn't know that there was an am/fm/8 track option. I thought that it was only am/8 track.

AM-FM- 8 track was not a Mustang option

Might have been used in other Fords

I believe this radio is out of a full sized car maybe a Lincoln or a LTD but it is defiantly a D3 part number, that I'm sure of. I'm going to bench test it this weekend and hopefully it will work. Anyway this is the kinda crap I do in the winter.

Back