Installed FPA Headers

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, Q code, 4 speed, 3.25, A/C, P/S
Installed FPA headers on my 73 vert today. 351C, 4V.

They fit fine. It took me longer to get the old exhaust manifolds out and then to get the new headers in.  :)

I have kind of the worst case scenario for headers: four speed with z bar, power steering, air conditioning. The headers went in fine through all of that. I suspect, if they fit my car, they will fit all cars.

To note, on the driver side the headers are very close to the rubber dust cover on the finger/plate the z bar pushes. Don't know the name . . . The clutch works fine, but I suspect that rubber might melt a little bit. I emailed FPA to ask if I should wrap the headers there. Will let you know when they reply. The headers are ceramic coated (inside and out) so heat should be fairly contained.

I have to custom make an exhaust, so no reviews on the sounds or performance difference yet, but I'm expecting a nice bump on HP! I did run them open for a minute, no exhaust. Loudest open headers on a non-race car I've ever heard. Literally sounded like a NASCAR event!  :)

I've heard nothing but good things about the fit and ground clearance with those FPA headers. I did an engine for a guy with a '70 convertable that put a set of those on his car, and I was totally impressed with how well they tucked up and gave maximum ground clearance.

Wow! I knew they were costly but, $1335 is absolutely ridiculous, in my opinion. Obviously some think otherwise or there would not be a 12 week backlog of orders. To each his own. Chuck

Installed FPA headers on my 73 vert today. 351C, 4V.

They fit fine. It took me longer to get the old exhaust manifolds out and then to get the new headers in. :)

I have kind of the worst case scenario for headers: four speed with z bar, power steering, air conditioning. The headers went in fine through all of that. I suspect, if they fit my car, they will fit all cars.

To note, on the driver side the headers are very close to the rubber dust cover on the finger/plate the z bar pushes. Don't know the name . . . The clutch works fine, but I suspect that rubber might melt a little bit. I emailed FPA to ask if I should wrap the headers there. Will let you know when they reply. The headers are ceramic coated (inside and out) so heat should be fairly contained.

I have to custom make an exhaust, so no reviews on the sounds or performance difference yet, but I'm expecting a nice bump on HP! I did run them open for a minute, no exhaust. Loudest open headers on a non-race car I've ever heard. Literally sounded like a NASCAR event! :)
You shouldn't have any issues applying some localize wrap. Three turns and two hose clamps should be good. I have done that with my headers in a couple of places.

I'm in approximately the same situation - just bought a 408 stroker (351W) for my 71 mach1 and now am trying to figure out what headers will clear the z-bar (top loader 4 speed). Have read good reviews of the FPA products, but wondering if anyone has used something that worked nearly as good as the FPA headers? I don't mind spending the $$ if I have to on the FPA headers, but would like to see what has worked for others.

I'm in approximately the same situation - just bought a 408 stroker (351W) for my 71 mach1 and now am trying to figure out what headers will clear the z-bar (top loader 4 speed). Have read good reviews of the FPA products, but wondering if anyone has used something that worked nearly as good as the FPA headers? I don't mind spending the $$ if I have to on the FPA headers, but would like to see what has worked for others.
You're in a good situation really. Since the W was an option in '71 you have a wide selection of headers to choose from!

Back