Mustang Build - Take Two!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not saying your body guy is wrong but using adhesive is a touch and go situation. In new construction it is usually aided by Tog-L- Loc, spot weld, etc. Every joint in a unibody construction is under stress and should be welded. New F-150 has Tog or something similar to aid the adhesive.

My opinion is based on 50 years in the Automotive tooling and product design that I have. The adhesive requires perfect surface conditions and a nominal thickness. Too thin and does not work too thick and it does not work. Myself I would also weld to be safe.

I definitely agree, I've had bad things happen after expensive paint with adhesives. I would also at least tack weld every half inch or so, shouldn't warp if you take your time. Tried it a few times about ten years ago , maybe it's improved or maybe I never got it quite right, "why risk it" ? Also that it is a highly vulnerable twist area on these flexible flyers. Just my two cents worth, lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input.

When I did the repair panels for the quarters on my first go around I used the adheasive for the seam that ran from the door to the rear of the car. Everywhere else I welded. I installed the drivers side first and it went beautifully. I  had created a rig on the inside and the outside to provide constant and even pressure while it cured. Still looking good four years later. Duplicated the process for the passenger side and it just wouldn't hold. Took the panel back off, cleaned everything and tried it again with another tube from a different source (to avoid a possible bad batch) but had the same result. Ended up welding it and it was not as nice as the drivers side when it was done. So yes, adheasives are a finicky thing to work with and in my case it was evident right away.  

For this application the quarter is welded down. The top repair piece is flanged and tucks under the roof along the top and in front. I did tack it in the rear where it butts up along the quarter panel. 

Oh, just wanted to clear up that the bodyshop owner just recommended doing the wheel well with the adheasive, not the rest of the quarter, which I welded. He is good, been around a long time.. I did ask him about repairing todays aluminum body panels and he was filling me in on the tools, process and training involved. Like modern mechanical/electrical systems, body repair has gotten to where your average Joe can't correctly repair things at home without special (expensive) tools and materials. Such is progress I guess.

Adhesives work well when done correctly and they usually spell out where to use them. IE roof repairs you can use on all four sides. Quarters can use a mix and there is a diagram on the 3M insert

Sorry for not updating this lately. I have been working on it, just haven't stopped to take pictures. At the point now where I am going around the whole car addressing flaws I missed the first time around. Trying to stay patient and not rush to paint. Think I am going to go darker this time with a Ford's code CX Dark Shadow Gray. Missing driving the 'ole Stang.

Mustang2017a.jpg

Block sanded with 220. Some work left on the trunk lid. A little sanding in the door jambs, the mirrors and trim then it will be ready for a final overall sanding with 320  before the sealer coat.

Mustang%201.jpg
Mustang%202.jpg

I'm kind of digging the look of that green masking tape between the black and the grey. Must have breathed in too much self-etching primer.

Back