New 71 fastback owner adding PS and AC

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skit bag

Reaction score
My Car
No vehicle yet
My 71 mach 1 has no a/c and no power steering. It is a 351 with manual trans , I would like to put in a/c , I'm going for the classic air specific kit made for the 351 with power steering seing as though I will be installing the power steering at the same time , could you please tell me what I need to get for the power steering or is there a kit for it , thank you everyone. Screenshot_20240819_210529_Gallery.jpg

Welcome from Chicago! Great looking car, unfortunately I have not added A/C to my car yet so I am not sure. I have been told that the vintage air and other companies like them that make the retro fit A/C kits that include everything you will need. As far as power steering you would just need to replace the steering gear and add the pump and brackets and hoses. I am sure there are members here that have experience with this and will chime in with their knowledge.

Last edited:
Welcome, nice car. I don’t know if there’s a complete power steering kit but you should be able to buy everything separately.

Please post a couple pics of the pulley setup currently on your engine.

Power steering is a direct bolt on. New and reman steering boxes are available, as are pump and lines. The 71-73 PS setup is a very simple bolt in swap. The difficulty usually ends up being the pulleys.

The power steering pump bracket and the bolts are something you may have to track down on the used market. West Coast Cougar may have some, or ebay. When you buy a pump, lares is a good brand.

Pulleys are a little less hard to track down, because there are more aftermarket options.

Or you if you want, you can go all aftermarket. There are kits with brackets, pulleys, and bolts for all the engine accessories.

I did the PS swap many years ago on my 71 Mach 1. I was fortunate to have a friend that had a good, correct, Saginaw 800 PS box and pump....... until it wasn't and I had to learn how to rebuild them.
The problem is and as mentioned, pulleys. You need the crank pulley and water pump pulley. Again I got lucky and found the correct set, even date code correct, online.
I don't think I have the crank and w/pump pulley numbers, but I do have the correct pump pulley number if that helps. Basically, you need all three correct to get the proper pump speed.
As for PS box, I'm told RedHead are a good company and you can get a fast ratio box if you want. If not, your 71 Mach 1 will need a Saginaw 800 with variable ratio, tag number SPA-T or V, You may also need to replace the pitman arm if you buy a used unit. While in there, check your Idler arm also, in fact check it all and replace anything in need. Do it once, do it right.
Pump hoses; The 71 only had a long hose that goes up over the top of the support brace. Originally I bought a "concours" hose from National Parts Depot. It lasted 10 year, then out one day it blew out of the pump fitting. What a friggin mess!! I replaced the hose with an Edlemann brand I was able to buy through a local parts store. Oh, there is also a small bracket to hold the hose in place, you'll need that too.
One more thing to add to the list. If your car does NOT have a tilt column, you'll need a new "rag joint". I suggest the Lares 201. That can be bought from RockAuto. If it does have tilt, you're SOL I'm afraid, but some have made there own and can help if need be.

Attachments

• IMG_2266.JPG
    IMG_2266.JPG
    918.1 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2267.JPG
    IMG_2267.JPG
    882.7 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_2255.JPG
    IMG_2255.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Back