New project for this winter. 71 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin,

Car looks great !!! Bet you cant wait to get it out of your garage !!!

What brand upper window weatherstripping did you use ? I have Steele Rubber and am not happy with the fit around both the quarter windows & door glass.

Let me know.

Thanks, Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin,

Car looks great !!! Bet you cant wait to get it out of your garage !!!

What brand upper window weatherstripping did you use ? I have Steele Rubber and am not happy with the fit around both the quarter windows & door glass.

Let me know.

Thanks, Jay
Thanks guys its coming along nicely!! And I cant wait to get it out of my garage. My car is still up in storage. But I should be bringing it out on Friday and taking it to my buddy's shop so we can pull the motor and go through it real quick before summer.

Jay, Im not sure the brand of the weathersripping on the roof rail?? I bought a complete kit from Don at OMS. It seems to fit really nice. Seals really well but does push the door out a touch. im hoping the seal will relax a bit so the door sits flush. I really don't want to move the striker in any.

The one that goes on the door is just about junk. There are a couple threads on here about the door gaskets fitting like shit. They are about 4" too long. I did what most people do and cut in under the door. I glued everything in with weathstrip adheasive...... nasty stuff!

Pulled the car out yesterday and cleaned the garage. Ready to get started on the black valances and lower fenders.  

fb photo upload

Absolutely and incredible job!  

I know how to do most of this work and I'm still impressed enough that I keep thinking about talking to you about sending my '71 Mach 1 up to you (originally an Arizona car, it's been in a garage or under a car cover since the late 80's, the body is in pretty good shape rust wise but missing a few parts and most of the interior is junk, but that's a separate problem), but I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford you.  How many hours do you think you'll have in it by the time you're done?  You said you're at 400 now, and based on that I probably couldn't afford me if someone wanted to pay me to do this kind of thing...

Absolutely and incredible job!  

I know how to do most of this work and I'm still impressed enough that I keep thinking about talking to you about sending my '71 Mach 1 up to you (originally an Arizona car, it's been in a garage or under a car cover since the late 80's, the body is in pretty good shape rust wise but missing a few parts and most of the interior is junk, but that's a separate problem), but I'm pretty sure I couldn't afford you.  How many hours do you think you'll have in it by the time you're done?  You said you're at 400 now, and based on that I probably couldn't afford me if someone wanted to pay me to do this kind of thing...
Thanks for the kind words. I am thinking around 450 hours by time it's said and done. But some of that was additional work. I have documented pretty much everything I have done to the car so far. That should give you an idea of what all has been done.

Great work it all looks wonderful. Just in time. Winters over. Gonna do another next winter project? Really enjoyed watching your progress . Thanks for great posting ;-)

Thanks for the comments guys! I think the owner wants me to do more work on it next winter. Probably pull the motor, reseal and detail everything under the hood. May even do  a carb and intake swap. We will see.  He just wants to drive it this summer so I gotta get it done!!! Got front spoiler on and should have bumper on tonight. Then just hood and trunk lid and some decals. 

Got some more done. Got the tops of the trunk lid and hood primed. Got the back cover of the seats swapped out. New rear view mirror installed. Adjusted front bumper a little more to my liking. Also got the Mach 1 decals installed on the fenders. But soon found out when I peeled the paper off, they were argent!! Not black like they were supposed to be. So I had to carefully scrape them off and order new ones. Hope to do more sanding Monday or Tuesday. 

Damn Kevin, that sucks about the decal. Your getting tested on this final stretch. All looks good thanks for posting.
"Tested" isn't he word Mike!! Really want to get this thing done! But don't want to rush the final steps. I even pulled the front bumper off again and got my gaps a little better. Had to elongate the mounting holes to get it even on both sides.

The owner ordered a license plate bracket for the front since his was bent and rusty from CJ pony parts.  It showed up and was just a chunk of steel, no holes in it anywhere.  Wasn't even close to same as picture on website.  I talked to them Thursday and they had me send pics of it to them. Emailed the same guy Friday, saturday, and Monday. Nothing back from them yet. Guy said I will get right back to you. He was checking to see if all the ones on the shelf were like that. Still nothing..... I can guarantee I will not buy anything from them again. Piss poor customer service.  Bad hinge that messed up the hood was from them. The argent decal was from them..... came in a kit and all the other decals were matte black as they should be.  They are a joke in my opinion!!! The owner of the car bought a lot of stuff from them for this build. The majority of the stuff I bought for him came from Don at OMS. Cant beat the customer service and attention to detail!   Ok im done rambling....gotta get back to work on this project and get it finished so I can get the back porch built for the wife!!

Back