Ni Hao from Shanghai, China!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 429
1972 Mustang Convertible 302
I just picked up another 71-73 the other day and discovered this website while searching for some info on my car.

First off I must come clean. While I live in Shanghai, China right now my home is in Milford, MI. I've been here for 2 years and have about 1 year left on my assignment.

My first car is a 72 Mustang convertible which I saved up my paper route money for 2 years to buy right after I turned 16 and I still have it today. I was looking for a 71-72 Mach 1 but wasn't having much luck finding anything that wasn't rusted out (this was in Minnesota). Then driving home from looking at a ratted out 71 Mach 1 I saw a 72 Mustang for sale on the side of the road. I put the top down and took it for a spin and the rest is history. It's a red exterior, white deluxe interior, 2 barrel auto Mustang that is now in desperate need of a restoration. Unfortunately for it I keep buying other cars that get in the way.....

Which leads me to my most recent purchase:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291854230590?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

To be completely honest I wasn't really in the market for another car as I have a few other Mustangs but between the color, having every option, being a 429 CJ car and an export unit I couldn't resist this car. I honestly didn't expect to win the auction but did and I'm ecstatic to say the least. Living in China and buying a Japanese Mustang just seems to make sense. Unfortunately I won't get to see the car until December and probably won't get to drive it until next summer. I hope the next 10 months go by quickly!! :whistling:

I enjoy road racing my later model Mustangs and cruising in my vintage models so this one fits the bill perfectly. I am currently trying to finish the restoration on my 1970 428 CJ Mach 1 but this car kind of put a dent on that.

:cool:

Looking forward to chatting with everyone and sharing the story on the Japanese Mustang as it unfolds.

Last edited by a moderator:
::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.

Wow, YOU bought that?!

That car has been a topic on this forum before and most were very impressed by it.

Congrats!!

Welcome to the forum from North Carolina and Ni Hao. I was just about to be your competition bidder on the car but restrained myself and did not hit bid. Something screwy happened I did not get answers from the owner until this week after the bid was over. eBay held them up or something. He had said to call him but I did not get the message until too late. I have too many now.

Fantastic car and a steal for the money.

I worked in China to get money for my garage. You can for sure make better money there than the U.S.. Wish I had gone 10 or 15 years ago. I miss those days of flying home with $10,000 in 100 dollar bills in my back pack, lol. Are you an automotive tooling guy by chance? That is why I was there engineering manager at a Chinese tool shop in Wuxi and WuHu China. Miss those 90 min. massages. They knew me at the underground in Shanghai as the Crazy American had a blast while there. They want me to come back but I remember the dirty air with 10 meter visibility days when the schools closed and airport shut down and just say no. I had to have sinus surgery when I returned to clean me out, no joke.

Most people see China as a backward do it with manpower country. They have more modern shops and automated factories than the U.S. does sad to say. When a tool shop had 50 or 100 wire EDM's and rows of CNC mills they can crank out the work.

The company I worked for in the U.S. is quoting a package for BMW right now and the BMW requirement is that all tooling come from China, so much for the German companies. If they get it I might sign up for short 3-4 month trips but no more year or three year contracts for me. I also sent you an email from the Forum. Go take a walk in Century park tomorrow fun to watch all the kids having fun.

Welcome from W. TN and a fellow owner of a 72 I have had since 15. Looks like you have a very unique new purchase. Welcome to our growing family here. This is a great family friendly group respecting the questions, feedback, and knowledge of all of the members. Not sure I could las 10 months from purchase to first drive. Think I would need to get some leave time and jet back to the states just to touch it feel it and take it out. Keep us posted on your new purchase and the progress on your other projects.

David,

I'll be running around Century Park in the morning!

You're right about many aspects of China but culturally China is decades behind most western countries in many ways. Only time will tell I guess.......

Waiting 10 months is definitely not ideal! I will be home in December and will be able to see the car and if the weather happens to cooperate I will be able to take it for a spin around the block if they haven't dumped salt on the roads.

Hopefully the year goes by fast!

David - I didn't get an email from you. Send me a PM if you'd like to chat.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone. Looking forward to contributing when I can.......

Back