Oil Pressure Gauge

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hotboss

Reaction score
My Car
1970 Boss 302
I am hoping I get some advise on my non-functional oil gauge.

I am not very mechanically inclined so please be understanding and try to help out like I am a 3rd grader.

My oil pressure gauge was reading fine and now has stopped reading at all..

What should I do to determine the direction I should take and what and where the problem lies.

Thanks

with out going out and looking.. i think the sending unit is a single wire. if so pull it off and look at gage,, then ground it and look at gage.. if it moves then replace the sending unit. it most likely is the sending unit.. don't forget if u by one get a sending unit NOT a sw for an idiot lite.

Do what delawarebill said. Make sure you have the key in the 'on' position, the engine doesn't have to be running. I find it is easiest to remove the wire from the sending unit and then take a spare piece of wire, insert it into the sending unit wire's connector and then touch the other end to some metal part on the engine.

If you have a cleveland the sending unit is on the back of the engine. It's behind the intake manifold and is oriented vertically.

100_0585-800x533.jpg

It's on the right in the above picture. There is a nut on the bottom, I think it is 7/16 wrench. It's pretty tight to get to when the engine is in the car. Use the shortest wrench you have.

ps60_xr7-1028.jpg

They are available from regular parts stores.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add the quality of the new ones aren't really good. I went through 2 new ones and out of frustration went back to my original one and all was good. The newer ones were all reading on the low side. Best to put a mechanical gauge on too so that you can verify the pressure once in a while. I used a brass Tee block and connected the gauge to that.

Mechanical is the way to go!!

Just to add the quality of the new ones aren't really good. I went through 2 new ones and out of frustration went back to my original one and all was good. The newer ones were all reading on the low side. Best to put a mechanical gauge on too so that you can verify the pressure once in a while. I used a brass Tee block and connected the gauge to that.

Back