Roll bar (Shelby Style or otherwise) for our convertibles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just because you see a roll bar, doesn't mean it is a roll bar.

My wife's convertible has roll bars built into the rear seat head rests. When the car flips over(yeah...I see convertibles flipped over on the freeway every day), the head rests pop up to save us from being crushed.

Can't think how much that silly feature costs to design, engineer, build and than sit there and never be used.

My wife's convertible has roll bars built into the rear seat head rests. When the car flips over (yeah...I see convertibles flipped over on the freeway every day), the head rests pop up to save us from being crushed.

Can't think how much that silly feature costs to design, engineer, build and than sit there and never be used.
Is that a path of destruction that you leave behind you each day! :D

I´ve seen it happen! When Wolverine is on the freeway, you better get out of the way!

:p

Oh, by the way, that is exactly the car I was looking for. I knew, I had seen a picture of it somewhere but could not find it anywhere.

Doesn´t look all that bad, after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I´ve seen it happen! When Wolverine is on the freeway, you better get out of the way!

:p

Oh, by the way, that is exactly the car I was looking for. I knew, I had seen a picture of it somewhere but could not find it anywhere.

Doesn´t look all that bad, after all.
Oh Lord. And he's building a bigger motor? Glad to be on the East Coast :p

My wife's convertible has roll bars built into the rear seat head rests. When the car flips over(yeah...I see convertibles flipped over on the freeway every day), the head rests pop up to save us from being crushed.

Yes it's real...he had to make the interior side panels himself but he did a great job

Yes it's real...he had to make the interior side panels himself but he did a great job

So a couple years "rolled' by anyone actually done it???? Count Kustoms did one I am looking at the late model Stang bar from MMD. The key would be the interior quarter side panels. I am wondering if the 69 Shelby bar kit panels would be close enough to work in a 71-73?

I would extend the bar on down and tie it into the under body sub frame connectors. Then brace back behind the interior panel to the rear wheel wells to make it 6 point. Not sure on a vert but in a fastback those Shelby bars are really strong as they attach above the side window at the upper shoulder belt locations and the lower quarter door frame and really stiff up up the body.

8ae07beb57ae59956d82a3bd4a0052c0.jpg

sum-csumcc29012_jy_ml.jpg

I like them personally. I'm going to build on eventually for my 68 Galaxie. I was going to have it sent to Coverlay? I think, they were doing all the dash pad recovering. I would imagine that the sn197 bar would be a very good fit. KT 69 I never seen those photos of the Kount Kustoms car before, the last ones I saw never had the bar.

In their December 2013 issue Mopar Action magazine featured a pretty cool Challenger.

I kinda liked the roll bar on that one. It's welded into the frame to supplement the subframe connectors as this car had a high performance modern suspension.

The roll bar makes it look very race ready.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1421838382.113649.jpg

Hey guys I think that Shelby did not call it a roll bar. That makes some liability if the car rolls and it does not hold it up. For it to do a good job it has to be braced to the front and back to prevent it bending. You should be able to find one made for Mustangs out there for the drag guys. When you go so fast you have to have them.

Davie

Hmm, I don´t really like that roll bar. It´s too thin to look good. It may be effective and keep the car rigid but the Shelby style ones are wider.

Hmm, I don´t really like that roll bar. It´s too thin to look good. It may be effective and keep the car rigid but the Shelby style ones are wider.
It looks like it might make getting in and out difficult. I love the way the roll bar looked on the 68 Shelby convertible but this doesn't improve the look of this car.At least in my opinion.

Getting in and out would be a PITA! At least for anybody my age. ;)

It just doesn't look finished like a factory would make and sell them.

If they had at least used bigger diameter tubing for the bar it would have looked better.

Getting in and out would be a PITA! At least for anybody my age. ;)

It just doesn't look finished like a factory would make and sell them.

If they had at least used bigger diameter tubing for the bar it would have looked better.
Totally agree, bigger diameter tubing would look a lot better, especially considering the meat under the hood!

It's all about the looks to me. I would want it to look good, not necessarily improve the safety. Sound crazy? Maybe, but if you don't have it to begin with and you've been happy all these years? The Shelby style looks coolest and a third brake light could be really cool but...I'm still not sure I can envision it on my car yet. I'm just going to keep watching :cool:

Back