Roll bar (Shelby Style or otherwise) for our convertibles

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a place in Alabaster, AL, Impatient Creations, that is currently working on a '71 vert. The work seems very nice and this roll bar is something that I could find visually appealing. But this restoration ain't cheap!!!!

www.impatientcreations.com/Current_Projects/71_Mustang_Convertible.htm

Yeah, that looks promising.

Something else:

Look at this pic. The plastic simulates a roof line.... Doesn´t that just scream "CHARGER" at first glance?!? Man, how I´d love to see a car with that for a roof!

Kurt, if you´re there, please make a photoshop of this. :)

ford_321.JPG

I have installed several of the Shelby type bars in fastbacks. There they tie into the top of the roof as well and make for a very sturdy setup if done with molly steel. Covert need a xtra angle brace at the bottom to help give them xtra strength. I would trust one like that to provide a high degree of roll protection at normal speeds. Speeds over and above 70 mph then I would not be so sure. Either way they do add a great deal of stiffness to the chassis and improve handling and a very solid road feel.

The 69/70 shelby mustang convertibles came with a pretty cool looking roll bar. Anyone seen one retrofitted or something similar in our mustangs? Done right I think i would look pretty slick.

1969-1970-ford-mustang-20.jpg

images
I installed a 1989, I believe, Mustang roll bar in my 71. I made the side panels, and put in the shoulder harness. I was able to use existing bolt holes for the power window brackets to support it, without modifying the car by drilling or welding. 2 each 5/16 grade 8 bolts on either side make it sturdy, but it is not a safety device. I kept the templates, if anyone wants to try it. I found the '89 bar side angle closely follows the lines of the window angles, and looks ok. People sitting up on the back of the convertible top in parades like it for support. ABS panels with an original texture are available at TAP Plastics...Mark

rolls.JPG

The 69/70 shelby mustang convertibles came with a pretty cool looking roll bar. Anyone seen one retrofitted or something similar in our mustangs? Done right I think i would look pretty slick.

images
I installed a 1989, I believe, Mustang roll bar in my 71. I made the side panels, and put in the shoulder harness. I was able to use existing bolt holes for the power window brackets to support it, without modifying the car by drilling or welding. 2 each 5/16 grade 8 bolts on either side make it sturdy, but it is not a safety device. I kept the templates, if anyone wants to try it. I found the '89 bar side angle closely follows the lines of the window angles, and looks ok. People sitting up on the back of the convertible top in parades like it for support. ABS panels with an original texture are available at TAP Plastics...Mark
Mark,

I would be interested in the template. Thanks for posting.

images
Mark,

Give me an email with a ship too address, and you will be keeper of the templates! [email protected]

Mark,

Give me an email with a ship too address, and you will be keeper of the templates! [email protected]
Any chance of getting a copy of the templates? if so, please send to [email protected]. Pretty sure I have a shop who would be willing to attempt this.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
I would have some interest in the template, too. That is pretty close to what I have been considering for my 73. Mark, if you are willing to send the template, or if anyone else has it, please PM me here or send to [email protected]. mbsr, if you get anywhere with this, please let us know.

Back