Single DIN - mounting advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
351 Cleveland
PS, PB, A/C, rear defrost
I'm looking for advice/experience on modifying the radio bezel to accept a single DIN head unit. There is currently a Custom Autosound USA-3 unit in the car and I am less than impressed with the sound. I have replaced the paper Radio Shack speakers installed by the PO (unfortunately in the panels by the fold down rear sear - at least I was free to mount the new Polk Audio speakers without too much concern since the panels are cut) but the head unit is less than impressive.

Should I go with a repro bezel and cut away? I don't plan on cutting the original. Does anyone have experience with the NPD plastic DIN bezel? It doesn't look like it has the chrome details.

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Here is what the new speakers look like since I know that we all like pictures!

IMG_2529.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen those but wonder if anyone had used one. They are plastic instead of metal and don't have the chrome trim. Any picture of one installed so I can get an idea before spending the money?

I have a proposal for you if you're interested. I currently have an Alpine aftermarket radio with a single DIN unit that is in great shape. The radio bezel is also in great shape. I'm looking for a more retro look, I had a custom autosound USA-1 in last 73 Coupe. I'm having trouble getting the pictures I took to show up in the post. I'm thinking if you have a radio that is in good shape along with a good radio bezel that we can do an even trade. I'll try sending you a PM with the pictures. Let me know...

20130111_194158 (1).jpg

20130111_194044.jpg

I bought a repro bezel and cut it with a dremel cut off wheel, with holes drilled for the corners.

IMG_2022.jpg

IMG_2034.jpg

I have a factory bezel already cut for a Pioneer DIN radio. I went back in time to an AM Philco unit. It's in excellent condition. Make me an offer I can't refuse...

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to Comanchepilot44! I used the bezel that you included along with the one that came with the radio to get a great fit. Too cold to reinstall right now but here are the pics ready to go.

260ee6h.jpg

2461koy.jpg

Back