SN71

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With your evident fabricating skills it wouldn't take much to make a dolly for your car using suspension mounting points giving you actual weight transfer points.

The rotisserie would still be intack for future use or loan.

I enjoy your work.
Thanks for the compliments! The thing I'm trying to avoid by converting the rotisserie into a dolly is the cost of having to buy all new steel and casters. Being unemployed at the moment it's tight enough for me to pick up a $30 tube of seam sealer, let alone $200+ on dolly material when I have it sitting right in front of me.

Not good news when a man of your inheirent tallent is unemployed!

I understand the issue but hate to see you loose the rotisserie. A few well thought out changes and you'll come up with that convertible dolly/rotisserie!

My plan was to final spray the entire interior of the shell before I took it of the rotisserie. After some thinking I decided this would'nt be the best idea as I still have quite a bit of fab and bodywork I want to do which would inevitably screw up a nice paint job on the floors and dash with welding slag an the occasional bondo splatter.

So, last night I decided to just prep and paint the inside of the roof skin, which would suck to do upside down! So here's the result. Next step...off the rotisserie :D

915c2ff9.jpg

3b45a9d1.jpg

Man, that looks like a mirror! Remind me again of what independent rear you are putting in? Great photos BTW!
Thanks! I'm using an IRS from a '99-'04 Cobra, as well as an SN95 front suspension. As of right now, I have the complete IRS minus the center section and axles because I got it cheap from a guy who blew out one axle and the center section then swapped for a solid 8.8 rear. I have 90% of the front as well less brakes.

I've decided not to re-use my rotisserie. Once I had the car down I realized there was plenty of room under it to do what I need to do to paint it when the time comes (as long as I don't fall asleep on my cozy creeper;)) and I really don't want to go through the hassle of getting it up there again once things are minted out on the bottom. And I don't think my method of removal and installation is quite OSHA approved! :D

e73d4289.jpg

30a6f961.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been going pretty steady since coming off the rotisserie. So far I have the shell almost completely stripped, the left quarter light almost shaved, welded the left quarter panel seam solid, an started plotting my flush mount glass. Here are some pics:

e568832c.jpg

6d0fce46.jpg

38752d39.jpg

f54c97ee.jpg

48a36ad0.jpg

Obsidian, did you media blast the car or strip everything yourself?

Obsidian, did you media blast the car or strip everything yourself?
I've been tackling one section at a time with aircraft stripper followed by d/a sanding with 80 grit. After that I've been hitting the bare metal with a quick shot of phosphoric acid, then etch primer, then primer surfacer. I'll block out what I can with that dose of surfacer, do my filler work on top of that, more surfacer, touch up body work, and then final surfacer. I'm using this process because I'm not a huge fan of epoxy primers.

dude, i envy your talent and time to get this mustang done. i am trying to figure out how to get mine from texas to california without spending an arm and a leg to ship it becasue it doesnt run, then finding a place to do this kind of work on it once it gets here, houses with garages are not cheap here! keep up the good work, by the way i think i have a rubber mold solution figured out to do the taillights a little cheaper than CNC!

dude, i envy your talent and time to get this mustang done. i am trying to figure out how to get mine from texas to california without spending an arm and a leg to ship it becasue it doesnt run, then finding a place to do this kind of work on it once it gets here, houses with garages are not cheap here! keep up the good work, by the way i think i have a rubber mold solution figured out to do the taillights a little cheaper than CNC!
Whatcha got??? I'm still researching all options on making them.

Got the interior floor in paint last week and finally posting some pics. I was going to hold off on this until I finished doing some welding and stuff on the outside shell to avoid slag from burning the paint, but sometimes you need to see some significant progress to get motivated...and thats what welding blankets are for ;)

photo_zpsb2f0ffac.jpg

photo1_zpsec1a2681.jpg

just looked thru your topic, sounds like a great project you have there!!

gonna be keeping an eye on this... i ditched the leafsprings on my car and 4-linked the rear, that made a huge difference regarding driving behaviour, but an IRS is even better.. do you know if an IRS off a 91-93 Thunderbird is basicly the same or not?

my sister has her t-bird for sale... :D

Back