Sound off if you have a convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1972 Convertible F-Code 302 2V FMX-Tranny Color bright red/white interior.
Current Set Up cylinderhead from 66-289 4v carburater and HIPO exaust manifold.

Some pics as a weddingcar for some good friends of mine in the alps of austria.

A47BDB04-9564-49F4-AD24-7CE4053194C3.jpeg14A06A1E-1C7C-4225-9E38-73F029BA8A0E.jpegD04273AB-CECD-4A81-A217-4B0C1FE694D7.jpeg

Harald

1973 351c 2V, FMX and 9"' 3K blue glow and CW white knit interior. Instrumentation group, convenience group, power steering, console, A/C, decor group, tinted glass, power disc brakes, bumper rub strips and am/8 track stereo. Converted to right hand drive and has lived in South Australia for the last 22+ years.

Attachments

• IMG_20210129_0002_LI.jpg
    IMG_20210129_0002_LI.jpg
    334.2 KB · Views: 5
Lynda got a call from a friend a few summers ago, advising of a barn sale nearby (Albion, NY). And, she said they have an older Mustang she thought we might be interested in. So, not having anything else planned we hopped into our 1973 Mach 1 for a fun pony car romp out to see what the older Mustang was all about. We already had a 1969 Shelby GT500, a 1973 Mach 1, and planning to purchase a new Shelby GT500 once they became available to purchase. So, our little corral was already fairly full. We had no intention to purchase any more pony cars, but they are always fun to look at.

We were not at all prepared to see what we found. It was a gorgeous 1973 Mustang Convertible. It has been literally barn stored over 40 years, and at the time has under 20,000 original miles on it. The seller was the 3rd owner, and he is the one who rescued it from it barn storage location about two years earlier. He only had new tires put on (originals had cracked sidewalls), a set of 14" Magnum 500 wheels, installed a dual exhaust system, and changed the oil and filter. Everything else was nearly perfectly preserved in its original form. He fired up the engine, it started from being stone cold immediately, and was very smooth running (302 2v, C4 auto tranny). I declined to drive it as it was clear to me it was in great condition. Even if it needed any work it would have been worth the effort.

As we were looking at it, Lynda and I were both taking photos. And, we were both trying to think of a way to telling the other that we ought to purchase that magnificent Mustang, despite the fact we did not "need" it. Finally we both blurted out how nice it would be to have that Mustang in our corral also. The seller said he and his wife would be happy to drive it to our place the following day. I said we would have cash for his asking price, no argument as it was a truly fair price. On the way home I called out bank (they were open half days on Saturdays) and advised we were on our way over, and needed to pull out $21,000 in cash, all 100s. When we rolled in they were all set to provide the cash.

The next morning the seller and his wife came over, as promised. We swapped the cash for the title. It turns out the seller was retiring. His area of specialty was buying and selling Mustang parts for vintage Mustangs! No wonder it was in such great shape. It was a fairly basic 1973 Convertible with a 302 2v engine, C4 transmission, Power Steering, Power Front Disc Brakes, AM radio, bumper protection group, appearance package, and Deluxe Inner Door Panels. Everything else was vary basic. The hood was a basic flat (non-NACA/NASA) panel. As demure looking as it was, it was obvious this was a very special Mustang Convertible that was in terrific condition.

Once we got the Mustang all registered and insured in our name we began to modify it, tastefully. The first thing we did was add a Classic Air air conditioning system, as it was originally a non-A/C car. Being a convertible we could have done fine with no A/C in it, but we really like having A/C in our cars, so... The rear taillights are now VintageLEDs.com LED panels with sequential flashing. We installed an ACP full length center console, and removed the ashy tray to replace it with a fabricated Power Panel with two 12 volt outlets, a dual-USB Outlet, and a digital display voltmeter. We installed a DashCam, and a Garmin Drive 52 GPS with the optional wireless Backup Camera. We also installed a set of Halogen headlights, and a headlight relay to handle the additional amperage demand of the new headlights. The headlight relay was set up so the headlights come on any time the car is running. The original idiot light laden instrument panel was replaced with a Dakota VHX analog gauge equipped instrument panel. The original cooling system was replaced by a Champion 3 row aluminum radiator and dual electric fans (just "because" - we had no cooling issues). We also added a rear trunk lid stripe, and a front spoiler, both to give the car a little more visual "edge" in its appearance. To handle all the added electronic equipment I had the alternator rebuilt using higher amperage output parts, taking it from 43 to 65+ amps - more than enough to handle everything we added.

Here are a few YouTube video links showing some of the upgrades we did:

These videos are for a 73 Mach 1, showing some of the upgrades we did for both the Mach 1 and the Convertible:

https://youtu.be/mZGMztZvLeI

https://youtu.be/npY1fxaNonY

The 73 Convertible is not our fastest pony car (302 2v with a steep 2.79:1 ratio axle ratio gear set), but it is the one we have the most fun in when driving with the top down. It is a classy pony car for sure. If we want speed we have a 73 Mach 1 (not stock), a 69 Shelby GT500, and a 2020 Shelby GT500 that all do a fine job when it comes to fire breathing, ground shaking performance.

Attachments

• IMG_5456.JPG
    IMG_5456.JPG
    269.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_4852.jpg
    IMG_4852.jpg
    361.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4855.jpg
    IMG_4855.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4856.jpg
    IMG_4856.jpg
    440.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_4857.jpg
    IMG_4857.jpg
    218.8 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
New to the forum with my convertible. She is a Q and original owner. To save time listing options I will just post the window sticker and Marti report.

Attachments

• 4905867_0001(1).jpg
    4905867_0001(1).jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 4905867_0001.jpg
    4905867_0001.jpg
    234.4 KB · Views: 25
I have a secret desire/ambition (don't tell my wife) to get a 71 or 72 convertible and was wondering how many convertibles there are on here.

So, if you have a 71-73 convertible make a post to this thread listing the year, engine and any other options you'd like to share and let's see how many we can get listed.

Example:

71 M-code, ram air, Lime with white top.

Hello Don I have a 73 convertible, just to help you I'm 60 years old. I showed my wife a few different pictures of mustangs and the picture that I liked the best I kept showing it to her within a couple days and when she said ooh I like that one, that gave me a false OK in my mind, lol. So I went and bought it and never turned back I love it. came with a 302 installed a 351C Edelbrock heads to keep the 2v torque comp cams extreme energy cam 750 holley 2400 stall 350:1 posi. Runs great have not had a dyno run yet only have about 10 miles on it. do not regret one minute of it... Go for it.!!!!!!!!

I have a secret desire/ambition (don't tell my wife) to get a 71 or 72 convertible and was wondering how many convertibles there are on here.

So, if you have a 71-73 convertible make a post to this thread listing the year, engine and any other options you'd like to share and let's see how many we can get listed.

Example:

71 M-code, ram air, Lime with white top.

Attachments

• 351.JPG
    351.JPG
    306.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Mustang front.JPG
    Mustang front.JPG
    199.8 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9329.JPG
    IMG_9329.JPG
    169.7 KB · Views: 27
New to the forum with my convertible. She is a Q and original owner. To save time listing options I will just post the window sticker and Marti report.
Wow! Simply, Wow! Knowing Mustangs as well as I do, I am well aware that our really nice "True Survivor" 1973 Mustang Convertible was not far from being a fairly base vert build. But it is still a very attractive vehicle in its own right, plus it has barely over 20,000 original miles on it. There are still quite a few other 71-73 Mustang Convertibles I sometimes see in photos or articles that clearly reflect how Mustang Convertibles were often ordered with a relatively minimal set of additional options, Fancy enough options to make the car "something a little special." Enough options to cause the sticker price to go up 20-30% or more. So, that is how we wound up with a fairly few options on our 73 vert.

Very clever way for a dealer to up-sell, eh?

But, what a magnificent car that could be built if someone who appreciated nice cars, and also had the money to build such a car, special ordered that soon-to-be-magnificient Mustang! And let's just say that car was ordered with all available options, such as Air Conditioning, Power Door Locks, Power Windows, etc., that car's window sticker price could have increased nearly 50% over the Mustang's base price.

That, sir is the kind of Mustang Convertible you have... Now then, please know, I am not jealous.

That's right. I am not jealous because OUR Mustang vert is also considered to be a very special kind of car. The kind of vintage Mustang that will draw a small crowd at a local car show, UNTIL A VEHICLE LIKES YOURS SHOWS UP ANYWHERE NEAR ME! Suddenly, my really nice vintage car gets smoked by YOU! heh heh... Hey, there are a lot of other really nice vintage Mustangs still out there. And, you totally smoke us all. So, yes, in all seriousness, I am not jealous.

Okay, seriously, how could anyone, including me, be anything but totally blown away by your particular vert? And, by the way, your Marti Report does state it is a "one of one" 1973 Mustang Convertible! So, yeah, Wow!

Very well done, my fellow Mustang (and Shelby, I hope) enthusiast! I could not be happier to see that "somebody" still sees serious value in a nearly-half-century old, very highly optioned pony car. Thank goodness it was not merely scrapped for metal at the end of a fairly short existence. So many were scrapped like that, sadly. Here is my heartfelt "Mustang Salute" to a fellow enthusiast of nice Mustangs. I am glad it is yours. Sincerely. I am.

Hello Don I have a 73 convertible, just to help you I'm 60 years old. I showed my wife a few different pictures of mustangs and the picture that I liked the best I kept showing it to her within a couple days and when she said ooh I like that one, that gave me a false OK in my mind, lol. So I went and bought it and never turned back I love it. came with a 302 installed a 351C Edelbrock heads to keep the 2v torque comp cams extreme energy cam 750 holley 2400 stall 350:1 posi. Runs great have not had a dyno run yet only have about 10 miles on it. do not regret one minute of it... Go for it.!!!!!!!!
Yeah, that's the spirit! As much as I do say I love our little collection of vintage Mustangs and Shelby, it is clear to me you understand to what depths a love for a nice car go. Awesome...

I did take note, however, that you say, "...that gave me a false OK in my mind..." - so, how did that work out with your wife? Is there, perhaps, an interesting back story about how you chose the car over your wife when she made it clearly known that, no, her pointing to a photo she says looks really nice is NOT the same as a "solid OK" to get that car?(!) Just thinking out loud that we get a look at to what depths the love for a car may drive a person... Maybe there is no story. Maybe...

Yeah, that's the spirit! As much as I do say I love our little collection of vintage Mustangs and Shelby, it is clear to me you understand to what depths a love for a nice car go. Awesome...

I did take note, however, that you say, "...that gave me a false OK in my mind..." - so, how did that work out with your wife? Is there, perhaps, an interesting back story about how you chose the car over your wife when she made it clearly known that, no, her pointing to a photo she says looks really nice is NOT the same as a "solid OK" to get that car?(!) Just thinking out loud that we get a look at to what depths the love for a car may drive a person... Maybe there is no story. Maybe...
Lol, no my wife did not have a problem with me buying the car. It's been two years and not one argument about it. But she dosen't know how much I spent on the drivetrain.

I have a 72 vert also. If you are into adding and adapting, try picking up a Grand Torino right hand remote controlled sport mirror. You can remove the mirror and cables from the housing and put them into a Mustang mirror housing. The joystick cable is long enough to run through the dash and mount on the right side of the steering column.
Could you send a picture of where you mounted the joystick on your dash. I happen to have a passenger side sports mirror and would love to make this mod to my Mach 1.

I have a 73 all original, it’s a C6 medium yellow gold.
351C with a 4 barrel.
Original paint, air conditioning, black top, original am radio. The only thing ever replaced are the tires, rims, exhaust, brakes, brake lines, master cylinder and a few pieces of weather stripping.

which leads me to a question, my paint looks really nice for 50 years old. Even though it has a few chips here and there. Are they worth more with original paint, or does it really matter if you paint repaint as long as you go back to original color??

Other than that, I don’t know much about rear end ratio or anything else. Just got it a month ago.

Attachments

• 3AE8E7BB-9986-467E-A5B9-21B92111D153.jpeg
    3AE8E7BB-9986-467E-A5B9-21B92111D153.jpeg
    712.2 KB · Views: 11
  • C7DA4FC0-4EED-41A6-A52D-C4C2A92FDA57.jpeg
    C7DA4FC0-4EED-41A6-A52D-C4C2A92FDA57.jpeg
    829.8 KB · Views: 13
  • ED2ECF3B-93E8-42CB-B698-7044BB9C7B63.jpeg
    ED2ECF3B-93E8-42CB-B698-7044BB9C7B63.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
  • 9C908B12-4389-4E11-8C0E-409AE2230DBC.jpeg
    9C908B12-4389-4E11-8C0E-409AE2230DBC.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 12
  • CB11E723-3A46-429D-BB4A-29FB262B5EF2.jpeg
    CB11E723-3A46-429D-BB4A-29FB262B5EF2.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12
351C with a 4 barrel.
Original paint, air conditioning, black top, original am radio. The only thing ever replaced are the tires, rims, exhaust, brakes, brake lines, master cylinder and a few pieces of weather stripping.

which leads me to a question, my paint looks really nice for 50 years old. Even though it has a few chips here and there. Are they worth more with original paint, or does it really matter if you paint repaint as long as you go back to original color??

Other than that, I don’t know much about rear end ratio or anything else. Just got it a month ago.
Great looking car! Original paint is always more desirable. It's hard to match the original color, the overspray will be different and with original paint there is less concern about hidden rust or accident damage. I would leave it alone.

Great looking car! Original paint is always more desirable. It's hard to match the original color, the overspray will be different and with original paint there is less concern about hidden rust or accident damage. I would leave it alone.
That’s what I was thinking. Or hoping anyways. Thanks!

351C with a 4 barrel.

I also have an original Paint Q code. listed for sale on this site. On original paint cars I would preserve the paint as much as possible. Original paint cars are the best even if they have a few issues and are original only once and get rarer each year. Painted cars are common. I feel like it is around 1979 with my car when many were in similar condition. I like how your car looks mostly untouched. They should be worth more, but I've seen many with shiny newer paint sell pretty high but not high enough to get your costs back. I consider an original paint car even with some issues better condition than a new paint car that needed paint most likely far more than your car especially when they do a two stage paint job with clear coat which our cars never were. You might consider getting a Marti Report etc.

1972 H code, (351 2V), 3 speed manual, 2.75:1 conventional rear axle, (soon to be 3.25:1 or 3.50:1 trac lock), Decor Group, (Mach 1 grill and Sport Lamps, urethane bumper, color keyed fender and hood extensions, lower body paint treatment, Mach 1 trim rings with center hub caps), color keyed racing mirrors, power steering, AM radio, 6C Medium yellow gold (Goldenrod), White Knit Vinyl Buckets, White top, (soon to be Black Haartz Cloth).

Last edited:
71 250 c4. 3:00 marigold. 250 replaced with 300 six AOD . Mild cam, Chevy valves, 625 street Demon carb, 21 mpg daily driver

Attachments

• 15309E4D-A0B2-4AAB-A651-BACDB9BBA5EB.jpeg
    15309E4D-A0B2-4AAB-A651-BACDB9BBA5EB.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 2816051E-D1BB-4410-A737-F836CFC40199.jpeg
    2816051E-D1BB-4410-A737-F836CFC40199.jpeg
    974.2 KB · Views: 0
Back