Steering box seals

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Mustang
Can anyone tell me who makes a steering box reseal kit for a 71 with power steering? Or can i just got to autozone or something?? Any helpful hints or tricks to changeing the seals? I already have the box pulled out on the bench. Any info would be great

thanks Kevin

what type do you have ? Is it a Saginaw or Ford integral power steering box

GATES Part # 351140 That"s from rock auto around 26 bucks But check to be sure which type it is for.

Last edited by a moderator:

GATES Part # 351140 That"s from rock auto around 26 bucks But check to be sure which type it is for.
I have no idea which one i have?? how do you tell the difference? would it be in the factory repair manuals?

I have no idea which one i have?? how do you tell the difference? would it be in the factory repair manuals?
steering boxes are identified by a tag attached to one of the steering box cover bolts

I took mine to a local power steering rebuild shop here in Houston. $145 plus tax out the door and looks better than new. they even detailed the box in the proper finishes for me.

Adco Steering services on Pinemont rd in Houston, Tx.

I had them do the pump also and I now have a new steering system on my car.

Can anyone tell me who makes a steering box reseal kit for a 71 with power steering? Or can i just got to autozone or something?? Any helpful hints or tricks to changeing the seals? I already have the box pulled out on the bench. Any info would be great

thanks Kevin
Kevin, It should be a saginaw box if it is from a 71-73. This is a major PITA to do. It requires the complete disassembly of the steering box, specialized tools, time, and patience. It can be done, I did it once. If you want to do it get the Ford shop manual, volume 1, part 13-42. Pay close attention as to how you take it apart, note how many loose ball bearing come out and their slightly different color. If the sector shaft bearing is not bad, DO NOT CHANGE IT. If you want to have it rebuilt and there is no local shop to do it, contact NAPA or O'Reilly's. They can send your unit to A-1 Cardone, have it rebuilt, and you get your specific unit back. It takes about 2-3 weeks. Chuck

thanks Kevin
Kevin, It should be a saginaw box if it is from a 71-73. This is a major PITA to do. It requires the complete disassembly of the steering box, specialized tools, time, and patience. It can be done, I did it once. If you want to do it get the Ford shop manual, volume 1, part 13-42. Pay close attention as to how you take it apart, note how many loose ball bearing come out and their slightly different color. If the sector shaft bearing is not bad, DO NOT CHANGE IT. If you want to have it rebuilt and there is no local shop to do it, contact NAPA or O'Reilly's. They can send your unit to A-1 Cardone, have it rebuilt, and you get your specific unit back. It takes about 2-3 weeks. Chuck
LOL thats why you are now getting the BIG bucks:p

Thanks for all the info guys. I dont think mine needs rebuilt. It works fine and is nice and tight but the seals each leak a little and it drives me nuts. I have the ford manuals, so i will just follow those steps and change the 2 seals. Again thanks for the info!! I figured it was a good time to do it since I sent my headers out to get recoated. And the whole front end is apart putting the disc brakes on. will try to get some pics up of the new brakes soon. Man it looks good with discs all the way around and the cross drilled and slotted rotors really set it off.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:

thanks Kevin
The same kind of big bucks issued by the federal reserve, IMAGINARY!

The same kind of big bucks issued by the federal reserve, IMAGINARY!
rofl true lollerz

Hello Kevin

National Part Depot has the seal kits and or rebuild kits.

let me know how you make out with it.

I was going to do the same on mine while its off the car.

Back