The "lost" Boss 302 (1F02H100053) - observations + "The blue Boss 302"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Also, Ford part manuals up until at least 1980 listed a set of BOSS 302 decals for '71 and a part number. Next to the part number it said "NOT AVAILABLE-OBTAIN LOCALLY"."

I have an NOS set STILL IN THE Ford box... somewhere!!!!! I'll have to dig.

And just a reminder - Boss 351 hood decals for the ram air did not have an engine designation - just "RAM AIR". I heard Ford Marketing and Design folks felt it was too redundant with the "Boss 351" decals just rearward of the wheelwell of the front fenders.

Great job guys! Good thread!

Ray

Look closely the photos are airbrushed. The rear valance had cutouts it is either airbrushed or block plates were added. Also, in regards to the hood treatment, Bob Perkins has a survivor Boss with this treatment and there was a blue boss in maryland with the hood mistake, wonder if it could be the Blue 302 put back into production.

Last edited by a moderator:
You guys are rocking it!

Did anybody notice the chrome fender extensions and hood molding on the blue car as opposed to the painted ones on regular production models?

And just a reminder - Boss 351 hood decals for the ram air did not have an engine designation - just "RAM AIR". I heard Ford Marketing and Design folks felt it was too redundant with the "Boss 351" decals just rearward of the wheelwell of the front fenders.

4) the "Ram Air" hood decals with no engine size is correct as the engine size is displayed on the fender. It should'nt show more than once from any single viewing angle.
All true and correct, but it would make it one of the few cases that "RAM AIR" alone would be seen in conjunction with a Mach 1 hood.

Look closely the photos are airbrushed. The rear valance had cutouts it is either airbrushed or block plates were added. Also, in regards to the hood treatment, Bob Perkins has a survivor Boss with this treatment and there was a blue boss in maryland with the hood mistake, wonder if it could be the Blue 302 put back into production.
The valance plates are NOT airbrushed - they are physical block-off plates.

Can you get me a lead on both Perkins' car and especially the blue Maryland car? Anything about Perkins and Boss 351's brings up discussion about the Calypso Coral car - and nothing else.

-Kurt

Also, if you look very closely at the BOSS 351, the word "MUSTANG" does not seem to be either the correct size or possibly just not in the correct location with regards to the "BOSS 351" portion of the decal above it.

The "M" in "Mustang" should be lined up about 1/2 way into the "B" of "BOSS". (According to other factory-produced production examples). This one seems to have the M farther to the right. Since they are all ostensibly part of the same decal, this type of misalignment should be not possible.

And, of course it may just be an optical illusion due to the angle viewed.

And...............did anyone notice that the BOSS has the full chrome front-end treatment, incorrect for either a Mach or a BOSS?

And, in addition to having a black front spoiler, the rear spoiler is also black on an argent-lowered car?

I heard Bob Perkins sold that White Boss with the Mach 1 hood blackout treatement. - if that is the one you are talking about.

Ray

Wow, I haven't had time to read all of the posts yet but I will attempt to add some additional info. I will say this is a timely discussion, as a feature story on this car came out last week and can be viewed in its entirety at this link:

http://issuu.com/mustangmagazine/docs/006mm_issue20/54?e=8695083/6949059

There is also a video of my car that I posted here, if you would like to see it and hear it (and don't blame me for all the "battle scars" on the car done by the previous 2 owners !):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFH1nDewonw

I will try to review all of the interesting posts above, and see if I can answer some of it (if there are answers !). I will say, just from a cursory look at the various posts:

1.- The lower bright trim is still partially painted black, while most seems to have had the paint rubbed off. But even some of those pieces still have some remaining blackout on their bottom edges, with the fading cloudiness from washes and waxes.

2.- I think the flip down gas cap was replaced at some point due to a recall, as the current one has the seperate twist on gas cap underneath.

3.- I have a pair of Vermillion bucket seats. They are way darker red than the color shown in the Ford photo which actually looks orangish/red to me. Also, look at the "A" pillar color in that photo. It looks strangely bright colored, as if it was added to the photo. Also, look at the side of the top of the driver's bucket seat. There is a faint seam-like line. I have never seen a seam on the side of the seat like that. My cars have piping right on the edges. It could be a cover that was pulled over the seat for the photo, or a flaw in the airbrushing.

I have a Facebook page now, which is public, if you want to check it out. https://www.facebook.com/andrew.hack.775

I'll try to post more later.

-Andy

Regarding the "51" on the decklid. I don't think there is any doubt that the original decal "51" was removed and actually had a painted "51" added on the decklid, rather than an airbrush to the negative. The reason I say this is because you can still make out "OSS 3" on the decklid, under the paint. Not pronounced, like the painted over stripe (which also appears to have been painted on, rather than a vinyl stripe, but I haven't tried to dig it out). The "OSS 3" is very very difficult to make out, as though only the adhesive remained when painted over. Yet the "02" or the "51" is gone completely, which would be consistent with the previous changes.

I don't know why the "B" seems to be equally erased, although I also don't know why the worker who started to remove the original door tag quit, half-way down (thank goodness!). Remember, Dearborn only paid $75 to Los Angeles Assy for these changes. Time is money.

The decklid lettering is so difficult to see, that I never knew it was there until the day Donald Farr came to photograph the car, and while the decklid was open, and straight up in the bright sunlight, my friend casually noticed saying, "it says Boss right there." Donald Farr (and I) almost ran to the back of the car to see what he was talking about. Donald tried to get it to show on a photo, but it is just to difficult to see, let alone photo it. I'll post more later. (as if I'm not monopolizing the thread already!) -Andy

Hey Andy. Thanks for chiming in. Don't worry about monopolizing the thread. It's mostly about you car, so you'd have the right to do it. :)

Ok, a little confusion cleared up for me now. That "First & Last" article seems to claim that Andrew Hack's car was:

1) first, a "G"-VIN'd BOSS 302 pilot and press car,

2) then mildly converted to "R"- VIN'd BOSS 351 status, still used as a press/ photo/ publicity car,

3) and then finally converted yet again to an "H"-VIN'd sportroof, but still sporting all of its original BOSS performance features, sans the specific engines.

I can see the BOSS 302 being converted into the sportsroof, but whete is the evidence that it was also the yellow BOSS 351 from the pilot photos? Is there VIN evidence? The missing "02"/"51" is ambiguous at best.

This is great info!

Kit, I don't have the VIN off the car in Ford Publicity photos. I don't know if anybody does. The conclusion is based upon a lot of evidence that makes it seem pretty certain to be the same car when you consider:

1.-There is no "R" code VIN earlier than 100053.

2.-This car was produced on the first day of regular production, on the Dearborn line.

3.-Shipped the very next a.m. directly to Las Vegas.

4.-The Gate Release (Eminger Sheet) specifically says ship to Las Vegas Convention Center. (Photos seem to be in that locaction.)

5.-It is coded on the invoice as a show/marketing car, and was sold to Ford Marketing in Pico Rivera, CA.

6.-Ford invoiced the car as 1F05R, immediately after it came off the line, although built as a G code. That invoice calls it a Boss 351. I have not published the 6 invoices and Ford Communications Memo, which are original documents that I obtained directly from Kevin Marti.

7.-This is the only 1971 car built as both, a Boss and a Mach I, with identical trims matching the car depicted in the photos in the desert.

8.-I haven't seen any other cars in Ford's photos or magazine coverage depicting a Grabber Yellow Boss 351 that has all of this together: the honeycomb tailpanel, flipdown gas cap, urethane front bumper, rear valance cutouts, swapped out flat hood with Boss blackout, but no twistlocks, lower blacked-out side trims and the crooked "51's" on call outs. Just my car and the one in the photos.

As far as the car's lower stance in the photos, I know the previous owner had the springs and suspension redone in around 2000. I have the bills. Too bad we don't have those originals, if they were still on the car when it was sold. We know the car had the hood changed, as it still bears the flat NASA hood hinge springs and calls for a ram-air hood on the invoices.

I too, would like to know that car's VIN, and would like to find some photos of the car when it was displayed at the Las Vegas Convention Center at the Dealer's New Model Introductory Car Show in late 1970. I know this much, everytime a similar car pops up on the internet auctions, I too look to see if it's the missing Blue car or some additional one! Never say Never, eh !

Also, if you look very closely at the BOSS 351, the word "MUSTANG" does not seem to be either the correct size or possibly just not in the correct location with regards to the "BOSS 351" portion of the decal above it.
We're talking about the blue car, correct? If so, you are correct. The typeface of BOSS 302 has a notably wider "2" than "1," requiring a different offset to remain centered with "MUSTANG" below it:

vobyas.jpg

(Mind you, I'm quite sure the Boss 351 text above is not entirely correct, but it serves to illustrate the point).

Apparently, Ford decided to replace only the "02" in "BOSS 302" on the blue car, and left the kerning unchanged.

Your observation made me double-check the press car too:

30ti4k7.jpg

The "51" in "BOSS 351" may not be airbrushed at all. Someone obviously spaced the "51" with added kerning to make up for the left-offset "BOSS 3."

The offset wouldn't have been as apparent if an artist had airbrushed this angle only - with the correct kerning - after the fact. However, it WOULD matter to someone adding the decals to the car by hand, who would have a perfect, squared off view of the rear.

Needless to say, it looks as if the "1" was added to establish the centerpoint of "BOSS 3_1," and the 5 added (haphazardly) last.

And...............did anyone notice that the BOSS has the full chrome front-end treatment' date=' incorrect for either a Mach or a BOSS?[/quote']
Yes. One other unique feature of the car.

I heard Bob Perkins sold that White Boss with the Mach 1 hood blackout treatment. - if that is the one you are talking about.
Bingo. Found it:

1971Boss351.jpg

Standard Boss 351 fare, with exception to that hood. Not interesting. Yet.

1.- The lower bright trim is still partially painted black, while most seems to have had the paint rubbed off. But even some of those pieces still have some remaining blackout on their bottom edges, with the fading cloudiness from washes and waxes.
Odd that they didn't airbrush it. Does the honeycomb panel trim have the same blackout wash visible from the reverse? How about the taillight lens frames?

2.- I think the flip down gas cap was replaced at some point due to a recall' date=' as the current one has the separate twist on gas cap underneath. [/quote']
Ok, cap is no longer of consequence then.

3.- I have a pair of Vermillion bucket seats. They are way darker red than the color shown in the Ford photo which actually looks orangish/red to me. Also' date=' look at the "A" pillar color in that photo. It looks strangely bright colored, as if it was added to the photo. Also, look at the side of the top of the driver's bucket seat. There is a faint seam-like line. I have never seen a seam on the side of the seat like that. My cars have piping right on the edges. It could be a cover that was pulled over the seat for the photo, or a flaw in the airbrushing.[/quote']
Say what you want, but we don't know the chemical adjustment the Ford negative went through, nor how much color correction it has received ever since the internet and Photoshop got to it. The photograph itself was taken early in the morning, which also accounts for the color saturation and hard lighting.

Even the two different copies I posted of that photo have notably different color and contrast. Heck, even current photos taken of your car's VIN plate differ - even though the paint is exactly the same thing in both photographs. Then there's the difference between the monitors that we're using. You cannot rely on any computer-based picture for a truly accurate assessment of a color:

1971-ford-mustang-boss-302.jpg

71boss30203b.jpg

In short, we cannot even begin to assume that the hue of Vermillion seen in the photo is correct.

Regarding the "51" on the decklid. I don't think there is any doubt that the original decal "51" was removed and actually had a painted "51" added on the decklid, rather than an airbrush to the negative. The reason I say this is because you can still make out "OSS 3" on the decklid, under the paint. Not pronounced, like the painted over stripe (which also appears to have been painted on, rather than a vinyl stripe, but I haven't tried to dig it out). The "OSS 3" is very very difficult to make out, as though only the adhesive remained when painted over. Yet the "02" or the "51" is gone completely, which would be consistent with the previous changes.
Again, Andy - sorry to disappoint, but the article and your commentary above only further convinces me that your car - despite being part of the Boss 302 program and having received the same paint and trim as the Ford publicity car - is NOT the Ford publicity car.

Besides the fact that the stripes don't match up - as I noted to Kit - the black Boss taillight treatment buried under your yellow paint is that of a factory-spec. Boss 351, not the 302 publicity car:

24v1vzo.jpg

The 302 publicity car has the pinstripe trim, but up on the top of the decklid, not framing the taillight panel. No photos exist to suggest it was repainted any other way:

30ti4k7.jpg

The decklid lettering is so difficult to see, that I never knew it was there until the day Donald Farr came to photograph the car, and while the decklid was open, and straight up in the bright sunlight, my friend casually noticed saying, "it says Boss right there." Donald Farr (and I) almost ran to the back of the car to see what he was talking about. Donald tried to get it to show on a photo, but it is just to difficult to see, let alone photo it. I'll post more later. (as if I'm not monopolizing the thread already!) -Andy
Don't try to photograph it in the sunlight. Get the car under low light - garage is perfect. Pop the trunk upwards, and use some LED lights to bring out the difference in the yellow. Photograph WITHOUT flash.

-Kurt

Kurt, I appreciate all of your observations. I tried to bring out the lettering under all different lighting conditions. Unsuccessfully. You would have to see it, to appreciate what we are dealing with.

On the trunk stripe, I realize the painted over stripe is the lower, standard B1 stripe. If you look at those promo shots, the upper stripe is very crooked and wavy as if they applied a quick vinyl stripe to the top edge of the decklid. If so, it would have easily been peeled off. They may have been trying different looks for the final B1 at that stage. (Especially when you consider that the blue prototype B2 already had the standard decklid stripes before standard production even started.) There are discrepancies, along with 34 intervening years in the wild, before I got the car. The fact that so much still remains is actually the amazing part.

Kurt, I appreciate all of your observations. I tried to bring out the lettering under all different lighting conditions. Unsuccessfully. You would have to see it, to appreciate what we are dealing with.

On the trunk stripe, I realize the painted over stripe is the lower, standard B1 stripe. If you look at those promo shots, the upper stripe is very crooked and wavy as if they applied a quick vinyl stripe to the top edge of the decklid. If so, it would have easily been peeled off. They may have been trying different looks for the final B1 at that stage. (Especially when you consider that the blue prototype B2 already had the standard decklid stripes before standard production even started.) There are discrepancies, along with 34 intervening years in the wild, before I got the car. The fact that so much still remains is actually the amazing part.
I do agree that the upper stripe in the Ford publicity photos is a standard, vinyl Boss 351 surround stripe repositioned to the edge of the trunk and end caps.

Just the same, the question that keeps running through my head is why Ford went through the trouble of peeling the upper stripe off and "standardizing" the back end to production Boss 351 specifications. Though that would jive with the R-code VIN theory, it fails to explain why - when giving the car its third identity - Ford chose to repaint the back end without peeling that decal off.

That brings me to another question - was just the back end repainted, or was the whole car done? The trunk and end caps seem a slightly different shade of Grabber Yellow. Nevertheless, if the whole car was painted by Ford, I can throw my side-stripe theory out the window (in which case, the evidence does suggest that these cars are one and the same). Are there any indications that the trunk wasn't the only thing to get sprayed over?

Have you checked the heads and lifters, by any chance? Not that I consider it likely (though it seems that anything is possible with this car), but I'd like to eliminate the extremely remote possibility that Ford turned an R-code 351C into an H-code.

-Kurt

I am reluctant to state this, but I am also quite convinced that Andy's car is NOT the same vehicle in the early publicity shots of the yellow BOSS 351 (with the Mag-Stars).

There are several items that lead me to believe that it can be no other way:

1) Andy's car is supposedly wearing it's original yellow paint. OK, I'll go for that...it is easy enough to verify that. That would indicate that the side stripes on the car are the original ones applied, as there would be no way to remove them without wrecking the original paint. The stripes on Andy's car are clearly NOT the same: Crooked, wavy and misaligned in a completely natural, typical assembly-line fashion whereas the stripes on the BOSS 351 are apparently aligned quite differently. If someone is to try and claim that it is possible for the stripes to be removed without damaging the original paint, I would ask why would they do that only to put the same exact stripes back on again on the original paint?

2) To me, the original BOSS 351 photo is obviously of a styling "buck", a clay "dynok" static car...probably doesn't even have a drivetrain in it. There are just far too many discrepancies between this car and any later early or regular production vehicle:

a] Has the wrong wheels, Shelby-style "Mag-Stars" on it. This only shows that they either didn't have access to a set of Magnums for this car or thay had not made up thier mind what wheels they were going to use yet.

b] The wheels are much narrower in track. Suggests to me that there isn't even an actual rear axle under the car, maybe just a static styling buck wheelbase platform. No other picture of any car, Andy's included shows this narrow track.

c] The ride height is much lower than any production car. I know Andy claims that his suspension has been restored and that may eliminate any definitive proof, but that is only conveniant supposition.

d] the gas cap is clearly an early prototype version, displaying a slightly different non-standard construction and some extra black painted trim not on production caps.

e] The "1" in BOSS 351 is not even the right font! (no upper tail on it, like production versions)

f] There are other photos of this car I remember seeing a loooong time ago...but i got a pretty good memory most times. Those photos are of the front and I believe they show an apparently eurathane bumper in body color, but of a totally non-stock looking design. It does not look like a stock rubber or a stock chrome that has been painted...it just looks "one off". The sport lamps are also different, but I can't quite remember how...maybe they have clear lenses? maybe the shape of the bezels is a little "off". Someone here has an amazing ability to dig up old, obscure photos...maybe these can be found?

g] The rear paint treatment is clearly non-production, as everyone has noticed. I agree: the pinstripe does appear to be a hastily applied vinyl stripe.

h] The red interior...come on, did they strip the whole interior unnecesarily after converting it? Doesn't seem like they would do that, considering they left ALL the BOSS 302 mechanicals (except engine) in place, right?

i] The car has no visible 1/4 windows, suggesting either power-windows, or intended roll-down windows. My opinion is that since it was just a "buck", it probably had NO GLASS in it save for the widshield and backlite.

If I read the posts correctly, $75 was paid by Ford to convert the car to the "H" code sportsroof. It seems that included a total of removing the "G" and installing the "H", and painting over/removing the BOSS 302 decals/ trim. Is there any other difference between the B2 and the Sportroof?

If, on the other hand, the car went from "G", to "R" to "H" as is claimed, then a whole host of other things happened:

a) the interior went from black, to red,and then back to black again.

b) The "02" was supplanted by "51" on the trunk

c) The trunk/ tail end was partially or completely repainted

e) wheels were changed

f) Suspension was changed

g) gas cap was changed

h) front bumper was changed

i) rear valence repainted to put yellow line under bumper

I think the reason that there is no traceable VIN to match up to this car earlier than Andy's car is because it wasn't even a actual car!

I think Andy's car is the first actual production one, and that it started as a G-code B2, then was converted to a H-code sportroof.

But that is still cool, one for the collectors!

Last edited:
d] There are other photos of this car I remember seeing a loooong time ago...but i got a pretty good memory most times. Those photos are of the front and I believe they show an apparently eurathane bumper in body color, but of a totally non-stock looking design. It does not look like a stock rubber or a stock chrome that has been painted...it just looks "one off". The sport lamps are also different, but I can't quite remember how...maybe they have clear lenses? maybe the shape of the bezels is a little "off".
I also remember that pic showing the urethane bumper. I know I have it archived... on which hard drive is the question.

Ray

Well, here's the blue Boss 302:

a93b55b9.jpg

...and here is a B&W shot from Car and Driver's Boss 351 test:

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-photo-561313-s-1280x782.jpg

-Kurt
Clearly, these are the same vehicle...once a BOSS 302, then later a BOSS 351. Even the valve stems are in the same spot in relation to the letters on the tires!

There are several items that lead me to believe that it can be no other way:

1) Andy's car is supposedly wearing it's original yellow paint. OK, I'll go for that...it is easy enough to verify that.
I'm going to wait for Andy to chime in directly on this one, rather than hearing it from a magazine editor.

EDIT: I've edited everything I said below at the realization that the Ford Marketing Boss 351 and the red styling buck share identical features:

2) To me' date=' the original BOSS 351 photo is obviously of a styling "buck", a clay "dynok" static car...probably doesn't even have a drivetrain in it. There are just far too many discrepancies between this car and any later early or regular production vehicle:[/quote']
You mean a fiberglass buck - not clay.

I'm not convinced of it. EDIT: I am convinced of it, see below. The only obvious bucks that we have photos of are these two:

71mach1.jpg

1971_00073_01.jpg

They look the same, but the first has funky fender marker lights, chrome trim on the hood (present, but painted on the second car), a stock ride height, strange mirror placement, and a few other oddities.

It's easily identifiable by the virtually perfect hood gaps. EDIT: The black-and-white front photo of the yellow Boss 351 has the same way-too-perfect gaps, the weird grill, and the lippy urethane bumper. Maybe it's no coincidence that this car sits low, has side moldings, and has Vermillion interior too, eh?

a] Has the wrong wheels' date=' Shelby-style "Mag-Stars" on it. This only shows that they either didn't have access to a set of Magnums for this car or thay had not made up thier mind what wheels they were going to use yet.[/quote']
Wheels on a muscle car stay the same like toilet paper on a roll - even the buck shows two different wheelcovers.

Andy - purely out of curiosity - what does your Marti say about the wheels it was sold with? Not that it'll convince me any which way, but I've been curious ever since I saw your car whether it came with Magnum 500's from Ford.

d] the gas cap is clearly an early prototype version' date=' displaying a slightly different non-standard construction and some extra black painted trim not on production caps.[/quote']
Andy says it was swapped out to the later internal-cap version. Just saying.

f] There are other photos of this car I remember seeing a loooong time ago...but i got a pretty good memory most times. Those photos are of the front and I believe they show an apparently eurathane bumper in body color' date=' but of a totally non-stock looking design. It does not look like a stock rubber or a stock chrome that has been painted...it just looks "one off". The sport lamps are also different, but I can't quite remember how...maybe they have clear lenses? maybe the shape of the bezels is a little "off". Someone here has an amazing ability to dig up old, obscure photos...maybe these can be found?[/quote']
This is it:

29944050003_large.jpg

Urethane bumper sticks out farther than the production unit, Sportlamps sit too low, and so does pony - just like the red buck above.

You're convincing me here. I think the yellow Boss 351 is the second red buck (or a copy of) with a paint job and a flat hood.

Pertaining to the blue car:

Clearly' date=' these are the same vehicle...once a BOSS 302, then later a BOSS 351. [b']Even the valve stems are in the same spot in relation to the letters on the tires![/b]
Damn, you're good at this. ::beer::

-Kurt

My car left Dearborn wearing Magnums. The only Mustang, that I am aware of, that ever wore the KH Magstars was the 1967 Shelby. (I don't know if they were ever offered even as an option later, given the rivet problem.) The desert car was generally considered by most to have been a styling exercise, with non-standard wheels and striping. For years, a lot of people called it the "Boss Prototype Car."

I have spoken directly with people who worked for, and continue to work for the company that prepared Ford's cars for the west coast car shows back in that era.(DST or Dearborn Steel Tube). Yes, they are up there in age now, and may now be retired or gone since our conversations in 2007. They actually laughed when I mentioned the Magstars, the seat color and missing quarter window in the photo. They said that was very minor considering some of the things they would do for an advertisement, or prototype, or styling exercise, or for display at a car show. The car would then have to be "brought back to standard" if it was to be sold to the public. Rarely were they destroyed instead. We're not talking about plant cars or engineering pieces, just cars shipped and used for marketing and shows or styling exercises.

There's even more ie: it looks like the lower decklid stripe may be painted on. There is a small area on the right quarter extension that is exposed, and looks to be a thin painted stripe. Some of the Grabber Yellow is definitely repainted. Look at all the dings and dents. That's why I mentioned the "33 years in the wild."

Realize this: It is also not known where the car was and what it was used for, from the date it shipped until late winter, when it was the subject of the Official Communications Memo. We do know they referred to the car as "one of your (Dearborn) show units". How many shows? Don't know. What changes to its appearance after the official BOSS 351 was released in November of 1970. More striping changes for more shows ? Don't know. The Car show circuit ends around February or March. This car was released for sale in late March 1971.

The point being, there is no reason to expect the car to look the same as it did in the desert photos after it was used for this kind of purpose. Someone mentioned the Magstars. I have a set in the basement. 20 lugnuts, no big deal. Anyway, absent an actual VIN or Marti Documents to prove differently, you're just guessing about test mules without motors, missing drivetrains, color hues on monitors, tape or painted graphics, airbrushed or real, etc. Believe me, I have been looking at all of this exact same stuff for about 10 years now. I respect Kit's and everybody else opinions and observations, but not a single thing here is new to me in this thread. And, I say that respectfully.

I will say if this car, that was built as a 1F05R, is not the one in the photo, I've yet to see another one so built. But everyone has a right to their opinion. Even me ! Cheers everybody!

Well, here's the blue Boss 302:

a93b55b9.jpg

...and here is a B&W shot from Car and Driver's Boss 351 test:

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-photo-561313-s-1280x782.jpg

-Kurt
Clearly, these are the same vehicle...once a BOSS 302, then later a BOSS 351. Even the valve stems are in the same spot in relation to the letters on the tires!
I would love to find this car !! I look at every eBay ad with Medium Blue Metallic/ Argent Silver.

Here's a copy of an email I received from John Kranig, retired Ford Engineer. You guys can throw this into the blender, since we are also talking about the blue car:

Hello Andy, My name is John Kranig. Thank you for the extra web links. I am currently in Florida so it will be a few more weeks before I will be home and able to search for those pictures of the 1971 Boss 302 engineering prototype. As I remember that car's color was either light blue or silver. I'm quite sure that car and any other Boss 302 prototypes built for engineering tests were destroyed after no longer being needed as was the requirement as they were not allowed to be sold to the public.

The engineering prototypes were built with prototype parts on non-production tooling. Your car on the other hand was built on the Dearborn Assembly line with all production parts so it was legal to be sold even though they had to change the engine as the Boss 302 program was cancelled but the remainder of the car was ok.

I'll get back to you some time in April whether I was able to find more pictures or not. I'm glad you found the information I provided interesting and I'll try to remember or uncover more in the future.

John
I did not receive any additional info from Mr. Kranig afterwards. You guys type too fast. By the time I can compose a reply, you're 3 more posts down the page ! LOL ! By the way, is anybody NOT in Florida ?

Back