Totalled's rebuild thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got the dash harness back in, headlight harness is through the firewall and hooked up, and dash cluster and center stack in. Also put a new printed circuit and regulator on. Working on routing the harness through the engine bay now.

IMG_0853_zps9d266a5a.jpg

IMG_0855_zps9b08fb42.jpg

IMG_0852_zpse264227d.jpg

So, after lunch I thinned out the engine harness. In '73, they had an electric choke, and some EGR and throttle solenoids. I only needed three... the oil pressure, temp, and electric choke.

IMG_0862_zpsf43a2168.jpg

I also deleted this harness that went through the firewall, since it wasn't plugged into anything under the dash anymore.

IMG_0869_zps09aa4618.jpg

IMG_0870_zps9f784732.jpg

Finished product:

IMG_0871_zps09416036.jpg

Installed:

IMG_0872_zps61c7b263.jpg

IMG_0873_zps3e8c31d6.jpg

IMG_0874_zps5d3241ce.jpg

Nicee nicee Pat,

which leds did you get ? Nice & bright... could you post a link? Also I noticed you have the tranny cooler right against the rad..Bit of a no no..you want some foam spacers behind it so the cooler sits off of the rad & allows air to flow so you don't create a hot spot on the rad.

Thanks Q!

Lookie! :D

[video=youtube]

Gauges look great! I meant to ask you how you got the faces to looks good? I was wondering if I just spray them with clear if that will bring the black andwhite out.

BTW your garage looks just like mine. I get craps from the other guys on the site but but I have a system:D

Nicee nicee Pat,

which leds did you get ? Nice & bright... could you post a link? Also I noticed you have the tranny cooler right against the rad..Bit of a no no..you want some foam spacers behind it so the cooler sits off of the rad & allows air to flow so you don't create a hot spot on the rad.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/

I think there is some of the foam that comes with the ties, but I want to remount it anyway..

Used some DEI heat sleeve on the trans cooler line that is nearest the header, starter lead, and where the fuel line contact the radiator hose.

IMG_0878_zpsc9f83a22.jpg

IMG_0880_zpsd81978eb.jpg

IMG_0879_zps0d7a38de.jpg

IMG_0889_zps383e67e1.jpg

Cleaned lots of little stuff. Got a vacuum tree installed.

IMG_0890_zps649ed4ab.jpg

Finally have the correct battery hold downs.

IMG_0891_zpsc771aa0e.jpg

Gauges look great! I meant to ask you how you got the faces to looks good?
Low mileage? Cleaned with a wet rag.

I was wondering if I just spray them with clear if that will bring the black and white out.
Windex will smear the print on some.. I'd be worried the solvent of a clear coat would make the print run.

Last edited by a moderator:
Realistically, a couple of weeks. Next weekend I'm going to ORP, and the Following is ponies in the park. It's not gonna make that show, so I'm continuing to clean, detail, and do it right.

I have to pull the 3rd out of the rear end to seal it, so I can install the drive shaft, so I can then add fluids, prime engine, install dist, MSD ignition, ect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nicee nicee Pat,

https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/miniature-wedge-base/194-led-bulb-5-smd-led-wide-angle-wedge-base/206/

I think there is some of the foam that comes with the ties, but I want to remount it anyway..

Used some DEI heat sleeve on the trans cooler line that is nearest the header, starter lead, and where the fuel line contact the radiator hose.

IMG_0878_zpsc9f83a22.jpg

IMG_0880_zpsd81978eb.jpg

IMG_0879_zps0d7a38de.jpg

IMG_0889_zps383e67e1.jpg

Cleaned lots of little stuff. Got a vacuum tree installed.

IMG_0890_zps649ed4ab.jpg

Finally have the correct battery hold downs.

IMG_0891_zpsc771aa0e.jpg

Gauges look great! I meant to ask you how you got the faces to looks good?
Low mileage? Cleaned with a wet rag.

I was wondering if I just spray them with clear if that will bring the black and white out.
Windex will smear the print on some.. I'd be worried the solvent of a clear coat would make the print run.
Pat,

Thanks for the warning! Seems these old things are touchy. I taped off my part number on my wiper motor and it took the paint off when i removed the tape. I've seen re-face decals but I don't know if they make them for our cars. Painting the tach gauge need blew my mind how the extra weight of the paint messed the reading up. What did you do for the needles?

Thank

Jim

I haven't touched the needles. The car had about 50,000 indicated miles on it when Dad got it. And, judging by the mouse nest that was full length under the console, back seat, and rear panels.. I'd say it spent some time in a barn before we got it.

Nothing much or pic worthy, but some large chunks done. Pulled the 3.50 open third out that I put in the rear so I could roll it, cleaned it, sealed it, and reinstalled it. I think later I will pull it and swap the carrier with a trutrac. Pulled the stock axles out and replaced the axle tube seals. They were original ford. Cleaned and painted a couple items. I think I'll put the MSD box back where it was... not much real estate left under the hood.

IMG_0895_zps0b089594.jpg

This is where I have the coil for now. Not thrilled with it, but also not thrilled with the alternative of hanging it off the front left intake manifold bolt either.

IMG_0894_zps7da780e8.jpg

I tried that, and I think the digital 6 box is larger than the original style... it didn't fit on the shock tower space that nice..
I had to angle mine to get it to fit on the shock tower. I needed the real estate where Pat put his because that is where I was going to run the new AC lines into the engine compartment. I am liking the look of the installation there a lot better.

Back