Trunk Extension Drop Offs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Does anyone have any experience with welding on trunk extensions or drop offs?  The passenger side is rotted and looking at it, it may be difficult getting the top of the original metal out.  Any access tricks like taking off bumper?  The pics I see typically shows it with quarters off.  I want to weld it up without taking things off or minimal if possible.  Anyone's help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Darren

You don't need to take off the bumper. You will have to drill out the factory spot welds on top and under the car along the quarter panel seam. I would pull the tail light to make life easier. But overall it's a pretty easy job. Use a 4" grinder with cutoff wheel and get the major part cut out. Then drill out the spot welds around perimeter. Use a hammer and chisel to separate the seams or an air hammer with chisel bit if you have one. You can look back through my build thread and look where I did the trunk. Let me know if you have any other questions.

https://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-new-project-for-this-winter-71-mach-1

Last edited by a moderator:
You don't need to take off the bumper. You will have to drill out the factory spot welds on top and under the car along the quarter panel seam. I would pull the tail light to make life easier. But overall it's a pretty easy job. Use a 4" grinder with cutoff wheel and get the major part cut out. Then drill out the spot welds around perimeter. Use a hammer and chisel to separate the seams or an air hammer with chisel bit if you have one. You can look back through my build thread and look where I did the trunk. Let me know if you have any other questions.

That's where I'm confused. When you say top do you mean inside the trunk?  Does taking the tail light off help access the top area from inside?  The guy that owned the car before monkeyed every repair you can think of.  That trunk extension section... he installed an old sign caulked into that area after taking most of the drop off or extension out.  It looks like he got most of the metal off but the top section close to the tail light is still in there.  Trying to figure out how to get that section out.  Cant access from underneath.

Thanks for Your Help,

Darren

That's where I'm confused. When you say top do you mean inside the trunk?  Does taking the tail light off help access the top area from inside?  The guy that owned the car before monkeyed every repair you can think of.  That trunk extension section... he installed an old sign caulked into that area after taking most of the drop off or extension out.  It looks like he got most of the metal off but the top section close to the tail light is still in there.  Trying to figure out how to get that section out.  Cant access from underneath.

Thanks for Your Help,

Darren

Ok.. I just went out there in the garage after looking at your pics.  The guy covered the whole car with tar and its so hard to see where things start and end.  Just scraped the tar off and it looks like the top of the drop off 90's under the trunk floor.  I see what your saying about accessing the top.  Makes sense.  I can feel the 90 under the trunk floor and where he left the rest of the metal from the trunk area.  Once I clean up the area a little better I will see some of the welds through the trunk floor.  Am I heading in the right direction?

Thanks for Your Help,

Darren

Taking the tail light out just helps reach inside. Sounds like your getting there. Keep going.
Kevin 

Did you happen to give me some advice about seat platform install?  Somebody did and I can't remember who it was.  For some reason the post got deleted.  Had some additional questions about install.

Maybe not sure. The seat platforms have been discussed many times. What was your question?
The seat platform does not look square.  I took a carpenters square off of the rocker panel to square up the front bolt holes.  It's about 1/2" out on the backside whereas it should be tight against rocker panel.  Is that the right way to get it square?

Latest posts

Back