What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today I left my old garage:

55026c3d32963c0a3b8c09d8f8087e85.jpg

... and drove to the new one. Fits fine:

b6bd9ede85a764df1d2052a3adc51cc2.jpg

Should be getting main power tomorrow, got a free weekend ahead. Time to arrange my own little shop and figure out what to do with it exactly :)
Awesome..... car looks beautiful

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Over the weekend, Saturday I pulled the engine and transmission. Sunday I separated them and put the transmission on the transmission jack so it would be easy to move around, and the engine went on the engine stand.

Today I am repairing my recliner chair, one of the metal sections broke, I guess it's time for a diet. I welded it and added a section of steel strap. Seems like something always gets in the way of working on the car.

I assume you pulled the engine and transmission coupled. Do you typically have to raise the car? How low does the rear of the transmission tips down? I am curious because I have a scissors lift installed under the car which leaves a smaller spacing between the trans and floor than normal. If in the way I could pull the lift back if needed, but it will be nice to know beforehand.
Yes, I pulled them connected, 351C and C6. I have the car sitting on wheel dollies, so it's about 2 or 3 inches higher than normal. I believe you could probably pull them with the car sitting on the floor. As you begin pulling the engine forward and the bell housing starts clearing the firewall you begin raising them and start tipping the transmission down right before you get to the the radiator support and continue raising them while tipping the transmission down. You just need to make sure everything is disconnected.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's sounds like it could be running a bit lean at idle, maybe pull a spark plug at see how it looks for chitz and giggles. The car and engine look great.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with John, the CDI box shouldn't effect the temperatures. If filling the radiator doesn't solve it I would check timing and air/fuel ratios. How about your fan? Does it have a clutch?
My fan has a clutch and it was turning. Are these fan clutches dual speed? :chin:

AF ratio is controlled by the EFI and timing was right at 10 deg as it has been for a while. Since the engine has run well for a long time until just now, I am confident it was a lack of coolant :shootself: . I will have to check the coolant level often until I figure out if there is a leak.
The fans are kind of variable speed. As the clutch gets hotter it locks up more. When the temperature of the air coming through the radiator gets to the 190° - 200° range the clutch sould be pretty much locked up and turning at the pulley speed. So, when it is hot (and the engine shut off) you shouldn't be able to easily turn it by hand. When cool it should be easy to turn the fan by hand. Some clutches are also speed dependant and when the pulley reaches a certain RPM the clutch locks up.

Got the second to last coat of paint on the engine bay. Used POR15 top coat. It looks perfect sheen wise to me, I just need to touch up a few spots.

WmsJvGfl.jpg

Put in a piston to measure my deck clearance and it was way more than I expected. I measured .035" and even double checked with a feeler gage. I was planning on 10.2:1 compression and this will put me at 9.9, which kind of puts my cam out of optimal range. It will work fine on pump gas though, and should sound good. Just ordered head gaskets and a timing chain so I can get it back together. Engine bay is painted to a point I'm happy with it. It should come together in the next month or so.

I pulled out the lifters and cam, was hoping to be able to use the same cam bearings. The first bearing has quite a bit of pitting, is beyond service specs, and the second one has one small pit. Oh well, I was thinking about installing the TMeyer cam bearings, anyway.

I'm glad I finally get around to doing it, a couple of lifters had some minor pitting, the distributor gear was missing about 1/4-inch of one of the teeth, and I could see some wear patterns in a few of the lobes I didn't like. It doesn't have that many miles on it, still got hone marks on the cylinder walls, but you never know just what previous owners did. The roller cam will be a nice improvement.

Got bored and decided the background of my Cragar center caps needed to be body color.  

That looks pretty cool. 

I would have tried to paint the whole recessed area so that it looked like a round insert but maybe that woulda been too much.... I'm wondering.

I changed the master cylinder in the 71. It was being a little bitch, but I got it. The damn firewall bolt came out no problem but wouldn't go back in for nothing. So I ran a tap thru it and that took care of that problem. Amazingly enough tg he pedal was rock hard before I did any bleeding. Then we bled all the old fluid out on the lines and took it for a test drive. Now I can jam the brakes and all 4 wheels lock up like they are supposed to. Car tracks straight thru the skid. Got great marks on the pavement showing all 4 tires locked. With the old master it wouldn't lock up no matter how hard you push.

It's really nice to have brakes again.

Got bored and decided the background of my Cragar center caps needed to be body color.  

That looks pretty cool. 

I would have tried to paint the whole recessed area so that it looked like a round insert but maybe that woulda been too much.... I'm wondering.
Yeah, I'm still taking baby steps with my customizations. Lol. Just trying to change the background color from blue to green.
43d4b7f8b609434e076adc0b635916c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ordered a new battery tie-down kit, and a plug & chug for the coupe. Little things, but I gotta have 'em!

Assembled the bottom end again. I took it apart because I wasn't happy with the way I installed the rear main seal and I'm glad I did. I got silicone all over the crank and it wasn't spinning nicely. This time I only put a tiny bit of silicone where the halves meet. I didn't put any under the main cap this time though, so I may take it apart yet again and do that. 

I can re-torque the crank without pulling out all the pistons, right? 

i1gXvUfl.jpg

Back