What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got all the front suspension on except for the spindles. I did order the ones on ebay from Fastback Stack, so hopefully they'll be in by next weekend so I can put it back together - along with the new steering gearbox I should get on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Here's the driver side:

261330_239710952706497_100000027814872_981513_2714583_n.jpg

And the passenger side:

262225_239710972706495_100000027814872_981514_789400_n.jpg

Once I get it back on its wheels, I'll tackle the battery tray apron and start patching the firewall so I can drop the new floor pans in. Gotta do it in that order because I had a 'duh' moment in thinking that I could use all that nice mostly flat sheet metal for firewall patches... instead of the rusty old (full of holes) torque boxes I had to cut out in the first place (wish I could've used 'em).

But I gotta get it rolling again so I can move it out of the shop when I'm not there working on it - other people gotta use the lift, after all. ;)

Using 72HCode's wiki tutorial, I removed the rear quarter windows, door seals, and drip rail. No rust to speak of anywhere. Also shined a flashlight into the cowl (both sides). Very little rust, maybe a little surface rust but I'll hit it with rust bullet. All that is left of the interior are the door panels, driver's seat, and dash board. Everything else is OUT!!! :D

This coming week's goal is to finish taking off all the trim, the door panels, the driver's seat, and the bumper to be ready for sanding.

Using 72HCode's wiki tutorial, I removed the rear quarter windows, door seals, and drip rail. No rust to speak of anywhere. Also shined a flashlight into the cowl (both sides). Very little rust, maybe a little surface rust but I'll hit it with rust bullet. All that is left of the interior are the door panels, driver's seat, and dash board. Everything else is OUT!!! :D

This coming week's goal is to finish taking off all the trim, the door panels, the driver's seat, and the bumper to be ready for sanding.
That's a great feeling to find minimal rust, should make your job much easier.

Primered the left quarter panel & took it for a ride. I've been getting the old girl into black primer one panel at a time. The trunklid and taillight panels are all I have left to do.

Awesome Steve! Having little rust is a huge blessing!

Got all the front suspension on except for the spindles. I did order the ones on ebay from Fastback Stack, so hopefully they'll be in by next weekend so I can put it back together - along with the new steering gearbox I should get on Tuesday or Wednesday.

Eric 335.00 for spindles???

Why didn't you call or email me

Have several sets of disc brake set ups.

Spindles, prop valve, pedal, calipers, booster and m/c 350.00

Don

I put on a new power steering pressure hose, and the car feels alot more responsive to steeing input. However, it apparently wasn't my only leak. I think the return lines need to be replaced as well, and it looks like my transmission is leaking from the top plate (toploader). I'll probably end up buying a cheap 5 speed as soon as I can afford it, rebuilding it and swapping it out. I will clean up the toploader and keep it as a spare, this way I can rotate them :). I'm looking forward to taking apart a transmission for the first time.

Eric 335.00 for spindles???

Why didn't you call or email me

Have several sets of disc brake set ups.

Spindles, prop valve, pedal, calipers, booster and m/c 350.00

Don
Yeah - I checked all the sites and nobody had spindles [specifically] listed except them. All of the local cars at the 'yard are drum-brakes only, so I was trying to figure out what to do. When I was looking around, I was focused (more like target-fixated) on trying to find something I could just get nailed down and shipped ASAP - I'm still hoping they'll show up before this coming weekend to get the Rustang back on its wheels.

The only other set on ebay that showed up were from someboudy that wanted $175 + s&h for a set that didn't look any better than mine - so that was out. Getting the shiny black ones I ordered seemed like a no-brainer at the time. I'll make sure to contact you next time, although I had dropped a hint in another thread (about the FB seat platforms) and I hadn't heard back from ya yet. ;)

I would still be interested in getting the other items you mentioned though - but it'll probably be a little later. For right now, I just need it rolling again... like, this weekend hopefully.

GURRR, diff oil leak from brake bracket bolt hole. sealed that sucker with sealant, left to set for 24 hours.

Cut and trimmed battery apron and test fit patch panel.
Wow - I have a replacement apron as well. But I was thinking of replacing the whole panel, rather than just cutting out the bad stuff. I can see where not having to deconstruct the whole front corner would be beneficial and advantageous... but I know I'm not the greatest at patching sheet metal yet so replacing the whole panel will probably work better for me.

What made you choose 'patching' as opposed to 'replacing?' (Just curious here... I'm still not smart enough with body work at this point to know which is actually better for the car)

Looking good so far though. :)

Yesterday night i finish the "restoration" of the parking brake knob! :p

YES!... i actually fixed some major problems that little knob had..

IMG_0238.JPG

IMG_0241.JPG

That little pink on the corner is actually dental prothesis 2K acrylic that my girlfriend uses on her work :p

That corner was missing and the rest of the plastic was totally scratched so i had to fill everything and then sand A LOT to get this smoothness :)

IMG_0243.JPG

Then, using this brazilian paint (actually is made for exhaust and that hot stuff but if you apply it carefully and cure it in the haven it work really well) i panted it in 4 or 5 passes...

IMG_0244.JPG

IMG_0246.JPG

Well.. after some minutes in the heat it is medium dry... actually, it will go more mate than that but the important thing is that i managed to save this little piece that were awful...

And that is how you restore a car in Uruguay :p

Latest posts

Back