What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Plumbed up the electric fuel pump with braided lines and cleaned up and painted the power steering housing I got while at Dons.

The Q code I just picked up had a pretty nice custom made aluminum ram air set up, with a red air cleaner

I can't find the air cleaner now :dodgy:

Mark have you seen it :p

008.JPG

006.JPG

Tuned the carb a little more... leaned the idle circuit until it was hard to drive (stumbling and no response) and went back a step. I found the limit to how lean it'll go. :D It is very drivable now although it still smells a touch rich.

Started cleaning the DS door. Straitned out the tie rods on the front end end. Repaired the glove box light and got the DS rear quarter ready to undercoat.

Yesterday, I discovered that the alternator was not charging at all. After pulling it back off, I noticed the STAT was hooked up, and consulted the Yellow electrical manual - which is what it said to do. After consulting the tech forums here, I realized it should've been hooked up to the FIELD connector instead. Changed it over, and now it's charging just fine.

Then, bench-bled the master cylinder and reinstalled it. Gravity bled the rears - the brake lines and hardware have been completely dry since I installed them sometime last year. Moved to fronts and had a pal lightly pumping the pedal (to make sure not to kick the proportioning valve). Walked around and noticed tons of brake fluid from many places. Turns out, simply tightening the flare fittings wasn't enough. Nope - had to crank 'em WAY down. Finally tracked down the last leak at the distribution block and hopefully took care of that.

Also, checked and painted the booster check valve, and ran a line to one of the vacuum ports on the intake manifold for booster vacuum. Seems OK so far, but I'll need to bleed the system next weekend before I test the power brakes.

Once I hook the shifter up and permanently mount it - it'll almost be an actual 'car' again. This is weird.

I went to start mine today and the petronix ignitor II decided to burn itself out. Made for an interesting smell and for a very short cruise tonight lol. Off to the parts store tomorrow...:s

Mike

I apologize for my infrequent posts. We've just been having too much fun. So, we got the '20 foot' paint job on. It looks GREAT from 20 feet. Definitely not show quality, but absolutely boulevard-worthy. Much better than expected with our makeshift booth and harbor freight gun (and complete amateur skills) . Got the interior back in, sorta. Still needs headliner and some attention to detail. Gassed it up and took it to the June 1 Forest Lane Reunion Cruise, where a bunch of my high school crew was waiting for the rebirth. Had a blast. Awesome to cruise the very same lane, listening to the very same songs, with some of the same friends, scaring the same old Chevies some 40 years or so since the last time we did it.

We'll be posting some fresh pics at

http://www.flickr.com/71jcode

later.

OH.. and tonight we took it to Keller's Drive In for a #5 and tater tots.

She's pretty happy, though I think I have a crack in the radiator to deal with.

Goals ratchet down from here for the summer. Get the radiator attended to, get a decent exhaust system in, shoe it with decent tires, headliner installed properly, detail engine compartment, think we also have a leaky master cylinder. Install 3.89 pumpkin.

But I plan to drive it every time I can.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think I've posted since I moved into my new house, but we are getting settled in and I'm slowly getting my garage set up. I built a nice heavy duty workbench with a vice, got a nice floor jack, and got a compressor. So tonight I started the tearing down the car! I didn't get very far, but I got the driver side fender and the front valence off. The car is looking pretty solid, some small rust issues up near the cowl but that is expected. I will start earlier tomorrow and get the rest of the front end off. Still got to get an engine hoist and stand.

image.jpg

Hit a great car show in Osoyoos B.C. Great location and weather. Always really laid back with a poker walk for the ladies at the local stores on main street.

2128b.JPG

Then it's back to the hotel, kick back by the pool and exchange lies about days gone by.

This is actually the weekend update. Stripped and painted some of the brackets laying around and in the midst of a visit by Bill found a nasty spot I missed very early in the project. :s Managed to get the plasma cutter in there and cut the rot out. When I pulled out the roof panel I saved for such an occasion Bill pointed out we probably needed to use that metal to fab up new fender brackets as well. I did complete the power steering pump though. :)

DSCN2566.JPGDSCN2567.JPGDSCN2570.JPGDSCN2571.JPGDSCN2574.JPGDSCN2575.JPG

Sometimes you just have to bring in the pro. When welding in the patch on my left quarter I warped the panel.:dodgy: So I had my brother who was a body man for 25+ years come by and bail me out. He heated the panel up in 3 spots and cooled it with water to shrink the metal. Then he used a Slapping file on it to shrink the metal some more. Then a little hammer and dolly work and warp and oil can effect was gone. It took him all of 20 mins.:-/

left patch 001.jpg

left patch 003.jpg

left patch 004.jpg

Back