What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've been busting ass on the car lately. Last weekend I got the front sheet metal off and the engine/transmission pulled. This weekend I pulled a few more miscellaneous under hood items off, stripped the interior, stripped everything out of the doors, pulled the doors and deck lid off, pulled the rear bumper and valance off, removed the taillights marker lights and honeycomb trim panel, Got the top completely loose and ready to pull. This thing is gonna be ready for media blasting before long.

Front sheetmetal off. It has come a long way since then. It was too dark for pictures tonight so I have none with the doors and everything off.

Closeup of the engine compartment. I will replace all 4 aprons and try to repair the cowl. It's rusty like they all get.

Pile O' Parts. It's grown to 10 times its size since I took this picture.

Hot 302 and C4. If everything works out, I'll replace it with a 4V 351C and a mildly built AOD. Only us Ford guys will understand that sentence.

Dash is out...finally. The fire didn't get through, hence the lack of smoke smell which I'm thankful for.

The floors are shockingly solid and original. If they need any patching, I won't find it until it is bare.

And a bonus pic for you guys. I found some Florida beach sand in more than one spot in this car.

This bitch tore me up today. I've never busted my knuckles on metal so many times and I look like I stuck my arms into a box full of razor blades. I officially knocked out blood and sweat today, all I have left is tears. But man am I getting pumped about this thing.

I need to source a rotisserie. Any advice on a cheap option for that? I'm not against building my own but I would love to save the time and effort if possible.
Here is some pics of a cheap rotisserie. 8 sheets of plywood and some hardware. Can be done for under $300 bucks.:cool: I recommend leavening your doors on being a convertible.wood project 025.jpg

8-4-12 008.jpg

9-1-12 010.jpg

wood project 011.jpg

wood project 015.jpg

wood project 023.jpg

wood project 020.jpg

wood project 032.jpg

Boy that's creative to say the least. I'm sure it does its job too. How difficult is it to move around? I want to take my bare shell to the media blaster on a rotisserie so they can clean off the bottom really well. Its covered in a 1/8" of undercoating/rustproofing/tar/ooey gooey god knows what. That's my main motivation behind the rotisserie, just to make blasting and eventually repainting easier.

Here is some pics of a cheap rotisserie. 8 sheets of plywood and some hardware. Can be done for under $300 bucks.:cool: I recommend leavening your doors on being a convertible.

That looks real nice - I am glad you built it and made improvements.

As I rotated mine back and forth it started to flare out and I had to add a cable connecting the bottom of each half circle to each other. The cable did not get in my way when working on the bottom of the Torino.

The next one I build will have a pipe in place of the cable to make it even more rigid.

On a convertible I would pay to put it on a frame machine and get it absolutely square and then tack weld bracing across the inside of the door openings and other places to lock everything in correct alignment.

You could then pull the doors and put it on the rollers.

I looked into selling this idea but the liability insurance was so high and the exposure so great that my lawyer advised against it for such a small possible market.

A friend of mine built a set and sat them in heavy duty rollers mounted to the floor and connected them to a small traction motor. Push button coolness.

- Paul

Boy that's creative to say the least. I'm sure it does its job too. How difficult is it to move around? I want to take my bare shell to the media blaster on a rotisserie so they can clean off the bottom really well. Its covered in a 1/8" of undercoating/rustproofing/tar/ooey gooey god knows what. That's my main motivation behind the rotisserie, just to make blasting and eventually repainting easier.
It rolls very easy once you install. As for sending it out for blasting not so good. It takes 4 guys to move the rollers around. You wouldn't think 4 sheets of 3/4 plywood screwed together would be so heavy.

A friend of mine built a set and sat them in heavy duty rollers mounted to the floor and connected them to a small traction motor. Push button coolness.

- Paul
::thumb:: Talk about the optimal improvement to an already excellent idea.

dropped all the suspension and cleaned up the frame rails. wondering where to buy the front frame were the bumper mounts

does anyone know inside to inside font frame rail measurement should be?

Last edited by a moderator:
dropped all the suspension and cleaned up the frame rails. wondering where to buy the front frame were the bumper mounts

I would like to welcome you to the forum. Post up an introductory thread. If you can't find the measurements, I'll be glad to go measure mine, though that is not going to be an "Official" measurement, it should be very close.

I have the arms

Item #D1ZZ-17767-AR

71-72 FRONT BUMPER ARM, LH

Left hand reproduction inner bumper bracket. Price: $21.95

Item #D1ZZ-17766-AR

71-72 FRONT BUMPER ARM, RH

Right hand reproduction inner bumper bracket. Price: $21.95

Frame rails too - although out of stock right now - more coming soon. can direct ship some if you need them right away

Don

Item #ST125SL

71-73 INNER FRAME RAIL, FRONT LH

Inner front floor support, right hand. 29 inches. Price: $31.95

Item #ST125SR

71-73 INNER FRAME RAIL, FRONT RH

Inner front floor support, right hand. 29 inches. Price: $31.95

Inventory currently out of stock, please check back soon or call for more information.

Item #ST120SL

71-73 OUTER FRAME RAIL, FRONT LH

Front frame patch, outer section. Left hand. 34 inches. Price: $29.95

Item #ST120SR

71-73 OUTER FRAME RAIL, FRONT RH

Front frame patch, outer section. Right hand. 34 inches. Price: $29.95

Did my Friday night cruise night at the local hangout. Lots of fun for all. Always see a variety of cars with a live band and beer. What more can you ask for? Thought I would post a few pics... sorry for not getting more...

Biff Buzby's 2014 April 11.JPG

Biff Buzby's 2014 April 10.JPG

Biff Buzby's 2014 April 09.JPG

Biff Buzby's 2014 April 08.JPG

Biff Buzby's 2014 April 07.JPG

Biff Buzby's 2014 April 06.JPG

Biff Buzby's 2014 April 05.JPG

Biff Buzby's 2014 April 04.JPG

I spent the day reworking the lower shock mounts on the 72 stock eliminator car. Testing last week showed some flaws in the original design. We're putting the new brackets together hoping to go to the divisional race at Norwalk in 2 weeks.

Today I patched my cowl, passenger side leaking around top of the vent.

Removed that pesky clutch pedal return spring (omg what a PITA) but boy she's so much easier to drive. No more pedal hanging on the floor.

Last time I drove it my OIL light would come on at idle after it warmed up so that made me nervous. The engines been freshened up before I got it but then it sat for many years so I hooked up my mechanical gauge and seems like the idiot light is just that...an idiot. I've got 60psi cold idle, 45psi cruising at 70mph and a little over 20psi after some spirited driving I put it through to test it. I think all is ok.

Also fixed some odd and ends but removing that clutch spring made the car so much more driveable. For a stock (I think) 302 she sure does haul her ugly ass. Well time to shower, have dinner and figure out how to use paypal.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using Tapatalk

We'll the vert is finally a two door again

d7334bab383c3eeee5654af19dc4e755_zps63026525.jpg

4b21a176e87106e3493357d8b4040acc_zps2354ff9e.jpg

Mike this is the sprint door you sent me, that was a good call as the other door was rust free but not bondo free

Last edited by a moderator:
We'll the vert is finally a two door again

d7334bab383c3eeee5654af19dc4e755_zps63026525.jpg

4b21a176e87106e3493357d8b4040acc_zps2354ff9e.jpg

Mike this is the sprint door you sent me, that was a good call as the other door was rust free but not bondo free
Cool deal, I just didn't feel good about the red door.
6044ed6c7a6fbf3e3ee5d98e8817d035_zps5839e5ab.jpg

02425f4cc41f79cba4999887c8eec0e7_zpsea2b6de6.jpg

I picked up a 73 DS fender in decent shape and got the PS fender down so I can start working on them this week

While I'm living in apartment coupled with a very crappy wet spring (read the car was filthy after getting caught in the rain a couple of times) I decided to get my car washed... in a drive through car wash. All was fine until the "high pressure rinse" the jets spraying on the side windows came in almost unabated, I was soaked!!! :D Not sure I'll do THAT again.

I have to be the only asshole on here to do it.. 420-blaze it

Latest posts

Back