What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not that I actually did anything but I did make a purchase today. Last year, I built a 415w stroker with a Dart block. It sports a set of AFR-220 heads and a boost friendly 8.3:1 compression. Anyway, I just purchased a Paxton Novi-1500 supercharger. I have already purchased the EFI wiring kit but now just need a few odds and ends. And I should have a very streetable 600+ RWHP.

I finished up some shock tower brace modifications. I had bought the MPG brace kit some time back and my engine configuration being a bit different didn't work with the cross bar. I decided to run a pair of bars to the radiator core. Measured, checked clearances, ordered 30.00 worth of parts from Speedway (which showed up tonight) and an hour later I am done.

If it looks a little lopsided, that is the camera angle.
Do you think that the radiator support/core offers the necessary stiffness?

My glove box was missing when I got the car well

there was a water damaged piece of cardboard in

the box of parts I got with it that used to be the

box evidently!

I didn't know that there was a trim piece that goes on the front

of the cardboard ugg another part I need that is probably not

reproduced!!

Thanks for the photos!

My glove box was missing when I got the car well

there was a water damaged piece of cardboard in

the box of parts I got with it that used to be the

box evidently!

I didn't know that there was a trim piece that goes on the front

of the cardboard ugg another part I need that is probably not

reproduced!!

Thanks for the photos!
The plastic frame? I've got a spare. Not the best in the world. PM me.

-Kurt

Today, I bolted the clutch and pressure plate on the engine.

Just need the correct torque for the pressure plate bolts.

View attachment 24120

Got the 3-point seat belts installed, played with the Retrosound stereo a little, and ordered the Edelbrock E-Street FI system (looks like I blew my chances at getting any Christmas presents this year ;) ).

As for the glove box inserts, I received a nice ABS one-piece unit with my Classic Auto Air HVAC system - might check with those guys to see if they'd be willing to sell the piece separately... it's a whole lot nicer than having a piece of cardboard back in there, but might not fit with a factory heater box (seems a little deeper to me). Just a thought.

Got the 3-point seat belts installed, played with the Retrosound stereo a little, and ordered the Edelbrock E-Street FI system (looks like I blew my chances at getting any Christmas presents this year ;) ).

As for the glove box inserts, I received a nice ABS one-piece unit with my Classic Auto Air HVAC system - might check with those guys to see if they'd be willing to sell the piece separately... it's a whole lot nicer than having a piece of cardboard back in there, but might not fit with a factory heater box (seems a little deeper to me). Just a thought.

Hi Eric,

Sounds good. I'm, currently having problems with my classic air system.

Also, what was the follow through on your electric windows you installed?

Greg.:)

Hi Eric,

Sounds good. I'm, currently having problems with my classic air system.

Also, what was the follow through on your electric windows you installed?

Greg.:)
Hey Greg,

They're pretty much only half-installed. I'm not entirely sure the Autoloc motors are going to be strong enough to move the windows effectively - the 'drive' design seems to be the issue. With just the key On, the motors draw a lot of current, and struggle to get the windows up. With the engine running, they do a lot better, but even then seem to have a soft spot about halfway up on the passenger side. It "feels" to me like the design is just not the greatest. The thread by gpierce ( http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-power-windows-for-your-convertible ) about his universal windows convinced me to do it, but I thought the Autolocs would've been the way to go. After reading some more stuff about them after I'd already purchased... yeah, should've gone with the SPALs.

I'm going to look into getting some window motors like the SPALs: https://www.a1electric.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=AEOS&Product_Code=3300-0030 I think the separated belt drive might be a better design than the Autolocs - they seem to be shredding themselves each time I use 'em (lots of lubricated plastic bits everywhere, and not very snappy movement).

So, in a nutshell... still not done with it. ;)

Do you think that the radiator support/core offers the necessary stiffness?
No. I also think the shallow angle offers little if any lateral support.

It is symmetrical and I like the look. I was able to add the front portion in 15 minutes for 30 bucks. My distributor and AC make a monte carlo bar very challenging.

It does offer some support to the radiator core! :D

I actually have something else partially fabricated that I intend to finish up this winter, but it is low on my priority list.

Brought home my freshly machined 351W block It was baked, bored, line honed and decked for 500 dollars. It's gonna be a 414W where it's complete, and hoping for 450 to 500 hp.

DSCF1082[1].JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Went back out to Super Bright LEDs, and got a blue strip to install in the engine bay.

It should look really good when it gets dark. I know it looks kind of riceish.... But I dig it just the same. I like the look.

It's going to look slick at night when you can see the lights coming through the holes in the hood....

Sometime this winter I might make some hood insert mirrors.

Picture 028.jpg

Learned my dear wife has ordered my Millermatic 211. Early Christmas as were her new set of clubs. Yes! First project will be sub-frame connectors. This after I relearn how to weld given my 30+ year hiatus.

Just be aware, that blue lights visible outside on a vehicle would get you a traffic stop and a visit with an officer (in my state anyway)
No doubt. And I don't want that, especially with the current state of Emergency around here....

The lights are for show only. I don't drive much at night. I just wanted an LED look that would compliment the car at some of those night cruises I plan on attending. It's really for show only.

I finished the interior lighting the other day. The interior and engine bay lights are on separate switches.

141119_004.jpg

Pulled the parts car out for eBay photos, and wound up taking a photo of all four of my vintage metal. Perhaps the only time I'll have all four in the same spot:

25hzmag.jpg

x1g61i.jpg

The rear throttle shaft on the Mark V is leaking like a sieve (anyone have a spare Holley 600cfm base to sell?); had to pull it out with a chain along with the parts '72 Q-code (discovered it has a 4-bolt main block!), and pull both back into place the same way. Mark V won't even idle.

Other than that, I drove the Valiant today. Nice to be behind the wheel of a classic as a DD!

-Kurt

re: bake on cylinder walls or ...baked 351 Windsor~have you ever heard of XADO engine~....treatment products developed for motors in the tanks/military vehicles in the Ukraine and was brought to country less than 3 decades ago when the patent expired on it overthere. Re: XADO.COM for further information on real world nano technology of a diamond hard really dense metallic protectant not a snake oil product and even advertised in Hemmings muscle magazine to increase engine compression that guarantees a stronger motor for automatic rehab to new~an old engine/w/miles on it or fortifying the engine for rougher abuse. By itself will add mpg and some basic hp.

Xado also offers a tuffcote to the tranny gears and fuel systems to ck on.

Back