What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Everybody was having issues today at the Auto Hobby Shop - everything mechanical was not going right. So, I took the easy way out and repaired the sand-blaster with new hoses (works 100% better now) and blasted a bunch of parts to go back on the Rustang. Got the export braces, spring covers, shock tower caps, and some other various things done. Painted the braces and shock tower caps with some Rust Bullet Black Shell and they were dried enough to handle within an hour or so (103 today). Put 'em on and they dropped right into place without having to booger with 'em.

So, I'm guessing I got the front clip on where it's supposed to be. ;) :D :D

The guy at O'Reilly's either forgot to order my lower control arm cam bolts, or sent them back (even after I told him I wouldn't be in to pick them up until Saturday), so I ordered some more and will get them on Tuesday.

Next weekend I should be able to finish the last of the welding for the front clip (tranny crossmember and patch the kick panels) and install the front suspension.

BTW - Congrats, Mr. Mac - nice find! Now get that vinyl offa there and start looking for a Ram Air hood! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
looks like my a/c compressor is locking up when its hot, i managed to totally stall the engine while going about 10mph.

i had the car idling in the driveway for an hour, with the a/c on, after a while i noticed the A/C clutch was clicking on and off hard, but the car seemed fine and the a/c was cold, went for a 20 minute drive, car cooled down, gave no indication, and BAM engine stalled after making a turn, Smoke and grinding noise. i thought the car threw a belt.

i opened the hood everything was ok, got back in the car turned off the A/C switch and restarted the car.

car fired right up, drove the car another 20 minutes with a/c off and went on another 30 minute trip later on with the a/c off and did not have the problem again.

I thought my tach was dying but i think its the A/C compressor locking up from time to time, both times the engine stalled the A/C was on.

You are either over-charged or have some object that is blocking the expansion valve. THe pressure on the high side gets so high that the compressor can't push out the compressed freon.

Today I started my car and drove it around a bit. Not a big deal for many of you but my car is parked at mom's (lol, I am knocking on 50 years old). I have 4 cars and a 3 car garage so mom lets me park the car in her garage.

Anyways. Always love to fire her up. I took a video, I will post it if I can find a place to host it. Took her for a short 5 mile drive and parked her again. (It's 100+ degrees here in AZ)

I had to replace a lower radiator hose saturday night at a local cruise. I pulled into my stall and a guy walks over and says that I am leaking something. It turns out that my fan belt wore a hole in the hose. Luckly, there was a parts stores across the street that had a lower radiator hose that would work. I got lots of comments about how lucky I was that it happened where it happened. I had alot of guys stop and ask if I wanted help changing the hose since my right leg was in an immobilizer due to my thigh injury. I thought that was pretty cool for them to want to help.

It was my first outing with the car all year, so it figured that something would happen.

Went to check the carb's fuel bowl because we were having issues with acceleration. Thought maybe the bowl was too full or too empty. We installed the clear plastic window that came with the carb and the level was a bit low so we adjusted it. When I went to remove the clear plastic window it broke off clean leaving the theads in the carb. Bummer. We got the threads out but I don't think it is supposed to do ths.

mike

I put my new 8mm pertronix wires and ngk plugs in, also gonna go look at a 351w block and see if i wanna buy it. It sounds like a steal, 125 bucks for a hot tanked block

Had a quick meet with the local car club. there was a 1969 R code Mach there!

2dtszfr.jpg

2s64w74.jpg

My dad and I found the source of a long time oil leak, which recently got out of control. I thought it was engine oil at first, because it was black; then my dad realized it was very thin and its color matched my transmission fluid's. It was coming from the back of the motor and was dripping from the clutch fork, z-bar and making its way onto the manifold. We got some engine cleaner and washed everything down. It wasn't coming from the back of the motor or the transmission, but the power steering line. With the car running, I cut the wheel while he watched; and it was pouring out from both crimped ends of the fittings on the pressure line. It looked black because the engine was so dirty lol, it was picking up oil and grime on its way down the motor. I need to wait until monday to pick up a new line, but I think my problem is solved.

Today I changed a motor mount. The rubber was badly cracked on the one on my driver's side, so I was picking up a bit of a vibration, especially in fifth gear. I'll take it out for a short drive tomorrow & see if the new mount makes an improvement. If I have to replace a mount again, it'll be poly.

Got the upper & lower control arms and springs on today after discovering that the spindles are toast. The passenger side wheel spindle is really chewed up, but usable in a pinch. The driver side is fine, but the upper ball joint area is really messed up - like some redneck took a torch to it trying to get it off before they Redneck Engineered the new ball joints onto the control arm and used bailing wire as a spring compressor. This poor car must've been a deathtrap before it was parked.

So, I tried to score the spindles from the '72 I got the front clip from... no go - it's a drum-brake only car. Crap! So's the '73 Coupe in the yard as well. (Odd thing about that car is the round opera windows. They look factory and Cougar-like, but yet I've never seen a Mustang with them) I should be able to score the fenders, valance, and maybe the seats out of it (to make sure I have good frames for when I get the TMI interior kit).

Guess I gotta get a set of those ebay specials from Fastback Stack or something and wait til next weekend before we're back on wheels.

At least I can get the rest of the front suspension on this weekend though. Pictures tomorrow.

Oh yeah - make sure when you get a 'Super Suspension Kit' from LMM (or anybody, really) that you make sure to pick up the mounting hardware. No cam bolts, no nuts for the upper control arms, and none for the spring perch 'saddles' either. I'm a little disappointed that my $1100 fell short of a dozen or so fasteners critical to reassembly.

Cleaned it up a bit and put it up for sale ::shrug::
:( sad day. How much are you asking?
asking 7500

Cleaned it up a bit and put it up for sale ::shrug::
Sorry to hear, thats sucks:( Post it on here you never know.
Yea it does Roy, Been trying to hold off on it. But in last two months only worked 4 days, so it's got to go

Yea it does Roy, Been trying to hold off on it. But in last two months only worked 4 days, so it's got to go
Wow, sorry to hear you have to sell, but it sounds like you got your priorities straight. Hopefully the job market will turn around for you!

:( shame :(

I figured out the issue with my A/C compressor locking up my motor, seems to be ok now.

Wow, sorry to hear you have to sell, but it sounds like you got your priorities straight. Hopefully the job market will turn around for you!
I've seen Robert's car a few times. Good looking car that shouldn't be too hard to sell.

Back