Rear wheel update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Cleveland

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 FastBack

FINALLY HAD A CHANCE TO GET THE WHEELS MOUNTED ON THE CAR. SO I POSTED SOME PIC'S FOR YOU GUYS. NEXT TIME I HAVE A DAY OFF FROM WORK I WILL BE TAKING IT IN FOR SUSPENSION LOWERING......

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think it would clear, though it might be pretty close. I run 9.5 wide rims so the width is not a huge problem, though a little lip rolling and metal trimming would be likely necessary. If the tire height exceeds 28 inches it is going to get awful tight in a stock wheel well.

I don't think it would clear, though it might be pretty close. I run 9.5 wide rims so the width is not a huge problem, though a little lip rolling and metal trimming would be likely necessary. If the tire height exceeds 28 inches it is going to get awful tight in a stock wheel well.
so as long as the wheel/tire height doesnt exceed 28 inches it will work ? .

Hello. I have one question.

QUESTION : Would a 20x10 fit on the rear of a 71 Mustang

having a 9 " inch rear end ????
I'm running 20x10 on the rear and 20x8.5 on the front.

1940b.JPG

Hello. I have one question.

QUESTION : Would a 20x10 fit on the rear of a 71 Mustang

having a 9 " inch rear end ????
I'm running 20x10 on the rear and 20x8.5 on the front.

Nice..... Looking mach love the stance of it. What size tires you running ?? I went to a local rim place to buy a set of 20x10 rear and 18x8 for the front. But before swipping my card.I asked the sales rep are these going to work and he was unsure so with that I didnt buy. But Now you inform me that a 20x8.5 would fit the front. Did you lower the front ??

I'm running 255/35s all around. I got these as a starting point to test fitment. I will probably go bigger on the rear this year. The fronts are another issue The outside shock tower braces are in the way and require rework for clearance. I also had to message the outer wheelwells for room when I turn the wheels. Eighteens may be the best option for the front, if you want to stay away from clearance issues. Yeah the whole car has been lowered and I hate speed bumps.

I'm running 255/35s all around. I got these as a starting point to test fitment. I will probably go bigger on the rear this year. The fronts are another issue The outside shock tower braces are in the way and require rework for clearance. I also had to message the outer wheelwells for room when I turn the wheels. Eighteens may be the best option for the front, if you want to stay away from clearance issues. Yeah the whole car has been lowered and I hate speed bumps.
Do you have additional room in the rear if you wanted to go bigger with like a 22x10 ???

I have an 18X10 on the rear with a 285 width tire. If the backspacing is right there is plenty of room for an 11" rim and a 305 tire. At least on my car anyways.

Here's a photo of the rim without a tire on the axle.

Wheel from rear.JPG

I have an 18X10 on the rear with a 285 width tire. If the backspacing is right there is plenty of room for an 11" rim and a 305 tire. At least on my car anyways.

Here's a photo of the rim without a tire on the axle.
DROPTOP73..... Thanks for sharing your photo with us loved it..

Do you think a 22x10 would fit on the rear ?? Without having to tub out ???.

Hey I've got a set of 22's on my Charger (sorry about the Brand). if I have time I'll take one off and roll it into the Mustang. I've tried this before and in my opinion it looked a bit odd. But the traditionalists think my combo looks odd as well! I will try to take some pictures this weekend so you can see.

1976b.JPG

Hey I've got a set of 22's on my Charger (sorry about the Brand). if I have time I'll take one off and roll it into the Mustang. I've tried this before and in my opinion it looked a bit odd. But the traditionalists think my combo looks odd as well! I will try to take some pictures this weekend so you can see.
MURSTANG. Thanks for the photo. I will love to see how it would look on the rear of the mustang. Just trying to figure whats the best set up for my mustang before i buy.

A 22" rim with any kind of tire sidewall will be pretty tall. 18 - 20 will give a nice sidewall and still be in the 27 to 28 inch tall range.
droptop73

SO far the best set up is 20x10 rear and 18x10 front. Without passing the wheel well. Just trying to figure whats the best set up before going to buy my wheels..

295 section width and 28" overall height will clear . . . if your rear springs are stiff enough to prevent the suspension from bottoming out. with a 10 inch rim you will need roughly 5.75-6 inches of backspace.

A wheel simulator is a great tool before trying an extreme combo and may help you get the backspacing and sizing right

295 section width and 28" overall height will clear . . . if your rear springs are stiff enough to prevent the suspension from bottoming out. with a 10 inch rim you will need roughly 5.75-6 inches of backspace.

A wheel simulator is a great tool before trying an extreme combo and may help you get the backspacing and sizing right
Are you referring to a 22x10 rear ????

In terms of width, there is plenty of room. Just like Jeff, I am running a 285 on an 18x10 rim with no issues.

What you need to remember when you consider rims up to 22 inches is that there won´t be any tire left. The original overall wheel diameter is a little over 26 inch.

So with a 22 inch rim you´ll only have 2 inches of rubber.

My rears are about 27 inches high (285/40/18) but that is as far as I would go. Remember that this will affect your rear axle ratio and reduce performance (although you´ll get better mileage)

I don´t think there is a reasonably sized tire with a low enough sidewall to allow for a rim that is bigger than a 20 for our cars. You´ll have to consider driveability.

Here is a thread I posted a long time ago when I put my big rims on the car. It has plenty of measurements and numbers:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-experiences-with-bigger-wheels

In terms of width, there is plenty of room. Just like Jeff, I am running a 285 on an 18x10 rim with no issues.

What you need to remember when you consider rims up to 22 inches is that there won´t be any tire left. The original overall wheel diameter is a little over 26 inch.

So with a 22 inch rim you´ll only have 2 inches of rubber.

My rears are about 27 inches high (285/40/18) but that is as far as I would go. Remember that this will affect your rear axle ratio and reduce performance (although you´ll get better mileage)

I don´t think there is a reasonably sized tire with a low enough sidewall to allow for a rim that is bigger than a 20 for our cars. You´ll have to consider driveability.

Here is a thread I posted a long time ago when I put my big rims on the car. It has plenty of measurements and numbers:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-experiences-with-bigger-wheels
Thanks for all the insight.. 20x10 seems like its the size.

I don't think 22"s are an option without major surgery. Personally I like how 17's and 18"s look and ride, but it is not my car, nor is it likely intended to do what I do with my car. I'll win no car shows, but a race is another story :)
Naaa... Forget the 22 idea.. Am gonna run 20x10rear and 18x8 for the front.

Sooo, I threw a 22' from my Charger on the back of my Mustang.Yeah, a quick try shows they will fit on the back but in my opinion they are too big unless you can really bury them into the wheelwell. Even then, I think the car looks cartoonish or dare I say "donkish".

As for the front, unless you want to really sink the wheel into the wheelwell, in both ride height and track width, an 18" wheel will probably allow you a wider stance with way less clearance issues while turning. I would tend to agree that an 18" in the front would be optimal and personal taste would dictate if you choose to go 20" on the rear. Here are some pics.

1979b.JPG

1980b.JPG

1981b.JPG

Back