72- Medium Lime Metallic - resurrection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks super clean and nice. Like the deadner making. Never would have thought of roof felt. Another great idea. Keep posting.

I hope this works as I am not sure how to move some of my previous posts on the progress of this car to this section. I will copy the links to the previous posts below and hopefully that can get everthing in one place. As I near my deadline of completing the car by the 50th Anniversary show in Charlotte I will post more updates. Here is a story of this car in my life.

When 14 years old in my hometown of Kenosha, WI I came across this 72 Mach 1 buried in the weeds behind a small used car dealership. I rode my bike over to look at the car in its rusted and broken down state and just fell in love with it. The dealership was about 5 miles from my house and I tried to ride my bike over as often as I could to look at the car. After several visits the salesman approached me and I spoke with him about the car. He said that he would take $1K for the car. Well it was now summer and I could work on mowing lawns and washings cars to make some money. Back in those days you didn't get much for mowing a lawn compared to the kids today, but it was still money I could save for the car. Shortly after my 15th birthday the car disappeared from the lot. I was devastated and asked the salesman where it went and he said he sold it to another young guy. I had saved up a little over $600 at that point and I was no where close to buying it. About 6 months later I was at home with my sister when I heard this rumble in the garage. Like most sibblings I told my sister to get up and tell Dad he had a hole in his exhaust. She told me too. When I opened the garage door in front of me was the car that I had fallen in love with more than a year before and did everything I could to save up the money to buy. My Dad indicated that while looking through the newspaper at lunch one day he noticed the ad for the car for sale. He went over after work and talked to the guy selling it. This is the guy who bought it from the dealer and spent his time and money just getting it running and he now needed a more reliable driver to get to work everyday. Dad bought the car the next day and drove it home. Some of the first words out of his mouth when he pulled in the garage that night were to give him the money I saved and we will figure out how to get it fixed. So began my life with this 72 Mach 1. In High School we fixed it up with the help of friends and neighbors so it would look good and I could drive it during the summer months. I drove the car for 4-5 months each year and parked it the rest of the year. After High School it remained stored while I was in college and for 8 years after that while I started my career and married my High School sweetheart. In 1999 I decided to start driving it in the summer. During my first drive the rear defroster shorted out and smoke started rolling out from under the drivers side sail panel. I pulled into the driveway and the rear glass exploded from being overheated. I found an original Carlite defroster glass and installed that and once again parked the car. In 2009 with the completion of my 67 GT I decided it was time to turn my attention back to the 72 and get it restored to concourse. I dissassembled the entire car and took the body with a donor front clip to Atlanta, GA to get all of the sheetmetal replaced. After all of the metal work was done I brought the car home to now look for a quality painter. The car ended up traveling back to GA to Mustang Central in Byron, GA and spent a year getting all of the metal finishing done and paint applied. The car came back in late 2012 and that brings me to my current state of acquiring as many OE parts as I can find, cleaning, and detailing all parts for installation. I am still shooting for my goal of Charlotte and hope to have a high quality Concourse Driven restoration to enjoy for the rest of my life and pass along to my son when we are ready.

That is the story of me and my Mach 1. Hopefully some of the links to older posts will help show it in words and pictures.

Shortly after She was mine in 1984

84 compressed 2.jpg

84 compressed 4.jpg

2009 just before dis-assembly. This was the High School restoration

72 Mustang 097.jpg

Picture from a couple of month ago

05212013 185.jpg

Previous Posts:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-restoration-so-far

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-bodywork-update

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-painting-started-updated-10-3-12

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-back-from-the-body-shop

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-suspension-mostly-ready-for-install

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-72-restored-suspension

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-medium-lime-72-mach-1

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-gas-tank-installed

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, your build threads have been very inspirational.

If you'd like I can smush together all your threads into one build thread. You may have to tweak the initial post with a little copy paste action but maybe not.

Transmission 90% ready. I had the FMX automatic rebuilt last week and spent the morning cleaning it up and painting the main case and the tailshaft. I still need to remove the pan and clean that up and paint it. I opted to leave the bellhousing in bare aluminum and painted it with engine paint clear. The tailshaft did not clean p as nicely as the bellhousing so I used Eastwood cast blast to give it a consistent aluminum color. The main case was painted with Eastwood Spray Gray to replicate cast iron. Eastwood has the third mortgage on my house with all of the material I have bought through them. Engine should be back from the machinist next week. It only needed a .020 bore and everything else cleaned up and check for cracks. I opted to get the rotating assembly balanced just for that extra degree of smooth idle and hopefully longevity.

tranny1.jpg

tranny2.jpg

tranny3.jpg

Great work!

You know you are going to be a serious "go-to" guy for anyone wanting to keep or bring their car anywhere near original...

Thanks!

Ray

I forgot to include that I received my 2100 2V back last week from Carbontooters. The owner Kurt Praxel maintains ongoing communication throughout the entire process and the appearance of the carb looks great. If you have heard of the former Pony Carbs, Kurt worked for tem before the moved out west. I cannot comment on how it performs yet without the motor being assembled. I will repost once the motor is running. Kurt goes under Carbontooters and KP Carbs if you are looking for his services.

Ray, Thank you. I am happy to share any of the information and lessons I have learned while going down this loooong road.

2100 1.jpg

2100 2.jpg

2100 3.jpg

2100 4.jpg

Still progressing along. While trying to get a furnace installed in the garage for the many winter days ahead I have been able to do some work on the motor. I primed it 2 weekends ago and painted it this past weekend. It came out pretty good in my opinion. I have a friend in Australia who we exchange emails regularly. His car was built a few weeks before mine and has not suffered the ravages mine did in the past. He sent me a color match sample of his engine color and I had a pint mixed up. Here is the paint and the results

P1010326.JPG

P1010327.JPG

P1010336.JPG

P1010338.JPG

P1010339.JPG

Next step is to strip the dash board paint again and reshoot that with the correct color. Charcoal is correct.

P1010340.JPG

P1010341.JPG

Seat covers with OE material from SMS Interiors out of Oregon arrived back from TMI yesterday. They look good to me. The gray banding is the OE gray and not the lighter gray you see in some repop covers. Now to get the painting done so I can turn my attention to these.

P1010332.JPG

P1010334.JPG

I hope this works as I am not sure how to move some of my previous posts on the progress of this car to this section. I will copy the links to the previous posts below and hopefully that can get everything in one place. ...{snip}
Done. Sorry, I just noticed this request in your post.

The car becomes more amazing every time I look at this thread.

I see a light at the end of the tunnel is it the outside or the train heading at me? The engine and trany are ready to go in hopefully this weekend. I still have some items to go on the engine and the tranny lines should be here Friday. I rewrapped the entire front harness and replaced some of the clips that were broken off or just to mangled to reuse. I still need to replace the top engine harness, but the old one will work for startup. Here are a couple of update photos before the engine and tranny go in. Also, I decided to give up on trying to paint the dash myself. After 3 attempts of trying to get it right I gave up. One of the members of the mustang club here in town has a body shop and I asked for his help. I brought hime the stripped down dash with all of my paint and he said he could shoot it for a reasonable price. I would like to have the dash back in before start up to monitor the pulse. Shooting for January 5 for the start up. That will be the cars 42nd birthday and first time it has run since 1999. Fingers crossed and wallet empty!

P1010364.JPG

P1010365.JPG

P1010366.JPG

P1010367.JPG

P1010369.JPG

P1010371.JPG

P1010354.JPG

P1010356.JPG

P1010357.JPG

P1010358.JPG

Latest posts

Back