72- Medium Lime Metallic - resurrection

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you all for the kind words. I really want to do this one right and everyone here has been a great resource of information and so many examples to learn from. This is my first deep dive into restoring a car to this degree. I look forward to keeping everyone updated as I continue down this path.

Thanks guys. I hope these pictures will remain available to everyone here as a reference for their projects. I only want to payback some of the knowledge I have learned from this group.

My goodness, Brian, that Mustang is absolutely STUNNING!

I am going to have to take you up on your offer and get over there soon to see it in person.

BT

BK...very nice looking! I am going the same route on my 73 Mach. I am very curious as to how/where to find out the paint markings as well as where the correct location for them is. I just finished removing my coil springs and was able to locate the original colors and marks...yellow and pink. Most of the other components though, I am not able to recognize where they might have been and no way to determine color.

Jeff

Jeff,

The $40K question. Just ask Chuck C9ZX about that same thing. I was fortunate to have located my build sheet back in the 80s and set it aside for safe keeping. That is your best first clue. Then the trick is decoding what letters are color codes vs bin locations and then what color the letter represents. These colors vary by year and vehicle specific options and driveline. If the build sheet is not available try and locate others with similar year cars and options as yours. Start trolling the internet for concourse restored cars or people like MCA judges who may know. Understand that this all has to be taken with a grain of salt and checked and re-checked for matching confirmations. I have several photos of a 182 mile original 73 vert 351 2V, AC, PS, PB, Auto car if that could help you. PM me with your email and I can send you a few photos.

Jeff,

The $40K question. Just ask Chuck C9ZX about that same thing. I was fortunate to have located my build sheet back in the 80s and set it aside for safe keeping. That is your best first clue. Then the trick is decoding what letters are color codes vs bin locations and then what color the letter represents. These colors vary by year and vehicle specific options and driveline. If the build sheet is not available try and locate others with similar year cars and options as yours. Start trolling the internet for concourse restored cars or people like MCA judges who may know. Understand that this all has to be taken with a grain of salt and checked and re-checked for matching confirmations. I have several photos of a 182 mile original 73 vert 351 2V, AC, PS, PB, Auto car if that could help you. PM me with your email and I can send you a few photos.
Awesome work. I'd love to see pics of the 73 with 182 miles if you wouldn't mind posting a few. :)

omg even on stands it looks gorgous. sky is the limit on that car

Brian, car looks very nice

I just noticed something the restoration shop missed.

Call me 440 949 2556

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW, very nice, can't wait to see it when it's finished, thanks for sharing.

Sometimes you can tell something about the work they'll do by the appearance and cleanliness of the shop and that one looks great. Reminds me, my summer project is "uncluttering" my garage and putting some epoxy down.

Jim

I'd like to know what Don (OMS) saw that the restoration shop missed...:)

BDK

Very nice , keep up the good work...

Funny color b.t.w. ;)

JB

Had the opportunity to down load a few pictures from the camera. The car is now on 4 wheels, but here are a few before she came off the stands. Next task is to detail out the trunk with the correct black/aqua spatter for 72 and reassemble the exterior trim on the back.
Wow. Amazing work.

With the help of a couple of members with the under trunk brackets that were missing from the body shop and the dimensions needed to properly install them I was able to get the brackets installed on Saturday. I used panel bonding adhesive to install them and it worked out great. I purchased Fusion brand adhesive at NAPA. It had a 4 minute bonding time that worked well to them positioned and set without loosing circulation in my hands. Spent Saturday afternoon painting them to let that cure overnight. In the morning the misses gave me a hand getting the tank installed. I was able to get the straps installed but not tightened as the carriage bolt head was spinning in the groove. I had to push up on the tank straps and hold a regular screw driver to keep the bolt from turning while she tightened the nut.

I also made my own sound deadener for between the tank and trunk floor. I took 4 sheets of thick roof felt cut into 10x12 sheets. I bonded two of the sheets together with black silicone adhesive. I thought about using asphalt, but I was concerned about it melting in the summer heat and running out.

Here are the installed photos.

tank instal.jpg

tank install2.jpg

tank install3.jpg

tank install4.jpg

tail panel.jpg

Back