Custom Tail Lights

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No news at the moment...possibly doing some work on them tonight and TheJ has been working on some ideas for the LED's. Unfortunately I've been really busy the past few weeks :(

One thing I'm thinking of doing is making the sunken in areas a little bit shallower...not sure just yet though, don't wanna cut until I know its what I want to do!

Finally found some time to get somewhere! I got rid of the diffusers and cleaned up the inside a bit. I'll block it out again and see if it'll be good. If not it'll get another re-prime. If it blocks out good I'll paint it, polish it, and make a mold from it.

F0FD3A4A-97EB-48A3-ABE2-754DE5DD2092-5265-00000970FA016571_zps622eff33.jpg

B359892A-5533-41A7-A1BB-FA3C7D6056C7-5265-0000097102EFA6A6_zpsfc240bf7.jpg

One thing I'm thinking of doing is making the sunken in areas a little bit shallower...not sure just yet though, don't wanna cut until I know its what I want to do!
My ONLY suggestion would be to make the top portions of the inner 'trapezoidal' areas of the outers a little more 'flat' (they seem a little more rounded and don't quite match up with the outer shapes). Gotta be symmetrical since these work on both sides of the car.

Otherwise - Top Notch Work!

Question though - how are you going to handle the outlining of the 3 depressed areas? There doesn't seem like a lot of room around and between the 'rims' for much separation.

I know you've got it worked out already, and I can't wait to see this all come together (I'm still down for a set when you go live). Keep up the awesome work!

Last edited by a moderator:
My ONLY suggestion would be to make the top portions of the inner 'trapezoidal' areas of the outers a little more 'flat' (they seem a little more rounded and don't quite match up with the outer shapes). Gotta be symmetrical since these work on both sides of the car.

Otherwise - Top Notch Work!

Question though - how are you going to handle the outlining of the 3 depressed areas? There doesn't seem like a lot of room around and between the 'rims' for much separation.

I know you've got it worked out already, and I can't wait to see this all come together (I'm still down for a set when you go live). Keep up the awesome work!
The top edges are a bit too rounded. I'm hoping to block them a little flatter. Part of it is the shadows in the pic too, they're not as bad in person.

The top edges are a bit too rounded. I'm hoping to block them a little flatter. Part of it is the shadows in the pic too, they're not as bad in person.
Glad you agree - and like I said earlier, "Top Notch Work - I can't wait to see it all come together." You're doing an awesome job!

I've been tweaking it and polishing it and I'm not 100% satisfied with the result :(

I'm a bit of a perfectionist, and if some guys here are going to be buying any of these from me I want them to be absolutely mint. So, I'm at the point right now where I either continue to tweak what I have, or take my blender file and have one made by either CNC or 3D printing and pull a mold from that to cast duplicates myself to save on cost :huh:

I'm leaning toward the latter to make it exact to the drawings I came up with and be sure I've got a product that everyone will be happy with.

Updates to come...

Ok, here's the deal...

I simply cannot afford some of the final stages of this on my own, I need to get some materials, TheJ is working on LED boards to make these function just like the 2013's, and I'm very much considering outsourcing as mentioned previously because I want these to be perfect and I'm only about 85% happy with what I've got so far. I thought long and hard and hate to ask, but I've placed a PayPal donations link on my website. I know there are at least a few of you out there who would like to see these become reality, so if you would consider throwing a few bucks at this, I'm confident we can make it happen. Also understand that by doing this I'll be able to keep the cost of these down up front as well. My goal is to make them equal to, or at least only minimally more than the current price of stock reproduction lenses.

Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Here is a link to the page on my site if you want to contribute: http://callahandesigns.weebly.com/custom-tail-lights.html

Thanks for your support!

Since I got mine, I have been want custom tail lights so I can do the sequential turn...... this looks sick! I am definitely in! My original thought was to just have them all red and put the backups in the panel below the bumper like the earlier models. This however would require alot of fabrication. If I can, I will definitely try to scrounge up a few dollars to chip in!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back