Differences between 71 and 72?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yup the early grills only had one set of holes the later grills had to retrofit both types of mounts for spare parts consideration.

Radio changed all 3 years. the radio face plate was also slightly changed, font differences.

the climate control face place also changed from 71 to 72, they changed the names for the defroster settings.

i grabbed a 73 radio and a 73 climate control face plate for my car because the original early 72 was missing or utterly destroyed, i noted the differences between years but it was function over form that won for me.

72 was also the only year the mustang had a chrome air cleaner top, any other year they painted them the same air cleaner base color blue.

the amp meter barely working was a feature of all 71-73 mustangs LOL, same with HORRIBLE dash lights for night driving.

August 1970 was the beginning of 71 production. There are a few early features dropped almost immediately after the start of production. A few I know of are:

1) chrome-plated metal sport lamp bezels. Superceded by argent-colored plastic bezels.

2) extra wood-grain trim on the full length console, dropped in June or July.

3) white/opaque front parking lamp lenses w/ amber bulbs, superceded by orange/yellow lenses with clear bulbs. I saw a few cars with these when new at a couple dealerships in Houston, but I have never seen one since.

4) some early turn signal stalks had black end caps, later all chrome.

Kit, is it possible that the early cars (100031-100129) researched by Lois Eminger (during Michael Alameda's attempt to tie his car in with Diamonds are Forever), even though shipped in November and December of 1970 (according to her records), may have been produced in the August-September season?

Rather curious on that one; it'd definitely prove against the early cars having been used in DAF if only because of the chrome sportlamps.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I know one thing. My 72 has rear seat belts, and the 71 replacement interior quarter panels do not have seat belt bezels and the metal structure molded to the panels are different. So, if you have rear seat belts, make sure your new interior quarter panels are compatible.
Do you mean rear shoulder belts? My 71 has rear lap belts.

IIRC, 71s had rear belts with manual adjusters, 72s had automatic retractors. I could be wrong. I am not near my car to check.

I suspect that only a very few cars (50-100) may have recieved the chromed sportlsmps...maybe fewer. Isnt a lot of info out there on them.

When was DAF filmed? The cars were probably produced around that time, I assume.

early 72 didn't get retracting rear belts, nor the seat belt warning lights.

have an early 72 car

Right, 1-1-72 was changeover to seat belt light and buzzer, weight sensors in front seat bottom cushions, retractor belts in the rear.

Nope, not shoulder belts. Lap belts. Is yours an early or late 71?
My 10/1971 build F code coupe has rear seat belts in a deluxe interior on the Grande package. The clasps are also the chrome and black with a round button. I kinda wish they were retractable, was unaware of this change until now, very interesting thread!

Nope, not shoulder belts. Lap belts. Is yours an early or late 71?
My 10/1971 build F code coupe has rear seat belts in a deluxe interior on the Grande package. The clasps are also the chrome and black with a round button. I kinda wish they were retractable, was unaware of this change until now, very interesting thread!
Same for mine built in April 1971.

I suspect that only a very few cars (50-100) may have recieved the chromed sportlsmps...maybe fewer. Isnt a lot of info out there on them.When was DAF filmed? The cars were probably produced around that time, I assume.
The call sheet for the alleyway stunt was May 25th 1971; long after the production of the first cars.

It's not as much to determine that the DAF cars were early production, but to gather more evidence that Michael Alameda's car (1F05J100076) and the Ian Fleming Foundation car (1F05J100066) had absolutely nothing to do with the film, and were simply sent to Las Vegas for exhibition upon the '71 Mustang's rollout.

-Kurt

All 1972 convertibles received deluxe interior as standard equipment. (Maybe same for 73?)

Ford described as "A more luxurious standard interior for the convertible". LOL

Ray

Much of the "cheapness" of the entry-level versions of the lower models was dropped after 71.

Typical "cheap" standard items in 71 included:

1) smooth, featureless dash panels ( no camera-case texture or chrome trim)

2) skinny, cheap 1-piece 2-spoke steering wheel ( may have been sourced from Pinto/Maverick line)

3) black knobs ( instead of clear) on window risers.

4) black seat belts

5) chrome-only auto shifter handle ( no fake leather-plastic cover)

I'm sure there were more, but I know the low-level steering wheel was gone by '72 in all models, and I think the black window knobs were gone by then too.

Entry-level coupes and sportroof models still came with a "standard" interior for 72 ( with a couple of minor upgrades over '71 "standard" content), but base-line convertibles came standard with "deluxe" interiors beginning in '72.

There were 2 versions of the dash panel covers; the smooth with no chrome rings standard version, and the upgraded "deluxe" version with camera-case finish and chrome rings.

I seem to have a hazy memory of a third version: smooth panels, but with the chrome rings. I may have had a peyote- induced hallucination on that one...is that a real item or did I imagine them?

Last edited:
well i guess i was wrong, i was told when changed mine from script to letters the ford expert said they did.guess he not a expert lol.

I found this old thread to be interesting. Takes a little sorting to determine the accurate info but again - interesting. We keep learning!

Ray

Much of the "cheapness" of the entry-level versions of the lower models was dropped after 71.

Typical "cheap" standard items in 71 included:

1) smooth, featureless dash panels ( no camera-case texture or chrome trim)

2) skinny, cheap 1-piece 2-spoke steering wheel ( may have been sourced from Pinto/Maverick line)

3) black knobs ( instead of clear) on window risers.

4) black seat belts

5) chrome-only auto shifter handle ( no fake leather-plastic cover)

I'm sure there were more, but I know the low-level steering wheel was gone by '72 in all models, and I think the black window knobs were gone by then too.

Entry-level coupes and sportroof models still came with a "standard" interior for 72 ( with a couple of minor upgrades over '71 "standard" content), but base-line convertibles came standard with "deluxe" interiors beginning in '72.

There were 2 versions of the dash panel covers; the smooth with no chrome rings standard version, and the upgraded "deluxe" version with camera-case finish and chrome rings.

I seem to have a hazy memory of a third version: smooth panels, but with the chrome rings. I may have had a peyote- induced hallucination on that one...is that a real item or did I imagine them?
My car has #1 above

My car has #2 above

My car has white knobs re: #3 above

My car has #4 above

My car has #5 above

And yes, they went and finalized the cheapness of the car when they dropped that silly 429 BB in her, really wanted that inline six to complete the package!

"Yeah" for "cheap"!

Wow - interesting to see that Kit can still get under someone's skin almost a year after he got banned. lollerz

All very good points. I really wished ford continued producing the woodgrain insert in the long center consoles. I personally love the look. If anyone has one, I will pay $$$$$. Lol. I think 71 only had a "stamping indent" on the driver side trunk lid opening. On the body, not on the trunk lid.

Back