Doug The Dog's 73 Convertible Restomod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Doug The Dog

I'm back!
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, 351CJ, 5 Speed. Currently being restored. Projected finish date is some day.....
third member.JPGrear diff.JPGstaggered shocks.JPGrear disc.JPGdisc brake.JPGMustang 1.JPGMustang side.JPGThings are coming along alot slower than I'd like, but at least I can see a light at the end of the tunnel!!

Finished the rear end. Removed the open differential and replaced it with an Auburn Tractionloc unit. 3.50 gears and all new bearings and seals. powder coated the axle tube, replaced the rear leaf springs. installed staggered shock set up and rear anti sway bar. Last but not least, I converted the rear drum brakes to disc. Tomorrow (actually, today) I'll install the gas tank, fuel and brake lines. Last, but not least, I'll install the parking brake cables.

Next up: The front suspension.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Looks great. Where did the rear discs come from? I've been looking at doing that mod myself.

Looks great. Where did the rear discs come from? I've been looking at doing that mod myself.

I bought the SSBC rear disc conversion (part # A111-2) from National Parts Depot in Ventura, Ca. It's a direct bolt on kit, uses calipers and pads from a 87-88 Thunderbird turbo coupe, and uses the factory parking brake cables. I went this route so I can use my factory 14" wheels.

Spent most of the weekend in the garage. Got the parking brake pedal and cables installed and functional. installed the rear brake lines and fuel lines. Life is good!

parking brake 1.JPG

parking brake 3.JPG

parking brake 2.JPG

fuel line 6.JPG

fuel line 7.JPG

rear diff complete.JPG

I see that you have the staggard shocks, Did you find a source for the tailpipes? Are you using the 2.25 or 2.5 inch exhaust? Car is lookin good!!

-jbojo
Haven't even thought about the exhaust yet, with the exception of Sanderson "Shorty" headers for the 351. Like everything else I've encountered, it should be a treat.

Thanks everyone, for all the words of encouragement! I could have gone and bought a car that was already done (for probably half the price I'm paying), but what fun is that?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back