Doug The Dog's 73 Convertible Restomod

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got some time to work on the car today. Finished up the brake and fuel lines and got the fuel tank installed. I had to take a break, because the filler neck is kicking my butt. The filler neck seal is too tight.

brake fuel lines.JPGbrake fuel lines.JPGgas tank.JPGgas tank 2.JPGfiller neck to tank.JPGfiller neck.JPG

brake lines.JPG

Your're getting there!!! I am so far behind that I still can't see the finish line. I was hoping to have the motor in by the end of the month but that doesn't seem to be feasible now. BTW did you put on a protective coating on the tank? Is that gas fill tube new?

-jbojo

Your're getting there!!! I am so far behind that I still can't see the finish line. I was hoping to have the motor in by the end of the month but that doesn't seem to be feasible now. BTW did you put on a protective coating on the tank? Is that gas fill tube new?

-jbojo
No coating on the tank. No rain = no rust. The gas fill tube is the original. I media blasted it and painted it argent. It's in about 3/4 of the way and won't budge. So frustrated. A friend at work suggested heating the tube and seal up with a blow dryer to make the seal more flexible. I'll try that this weekend.

-jbojo
No coating on the tank. No rain = no rust. The gas fill tube is the original. I media blasted it and painted it argent. It's in about 3/4 of the way and won't budge. So frustrated. A friend at work suggested heating the tube and seal up with a blow dryer to make the seal more flexible. I'll try that this weekend.
You might try a silicone spray on the fuel neck also with heating up the rubber tube.

Got the gas tank issue solved and filler neck in place (thanks to a little penetrating oil and a dead blow hammer). Pulled the trigger on the front suspension tonight. Removed all but the coil springs and upper control arms. I'll do that tomorrow. Looks like I'm going to with "Opentracker" suspension components. Still debating on which springs to get, or which steering components to get. Looks like a trip to The Mustang Depot is in order for tomorrow!

front suspension.JPG

Got the gas tank issue solved and filler neck in place (thanks to a little penetrating oil and a dead blow hammer). Pulled the trigger on the front suspension tonight. Removed all but the coil springs and upper control arms. I'll do that tomorrow. Looks like I'm going to with "Opentracker" suspension components. Still debating on which springs to get, or which steering components to get. Looks like a trip to The Mustang Depot is in order for tomorrow!
This car is going to look absolutely amazing when you are done with it.

-jbojo

no suspension.JPGold suspension.JPG

The front suspension is officially out! Spent 3 days tracking down a coil spring compressor. You would think that in a city as big as Las Vegas, it would be ready available, but noooooooo...... Everybody stocks strut spring compressors, but not old school coil spring compressors. Had to order one from NAPA (No Auto Parts Available). Just kidding. Got the springs and upper control arms out tonight. Talked to the guy at Opentracker Racing yesterday. He was a great help and helped me set up an order for all the components that will make my old girl handle as good as my wife's BMW. Maybe better! I'll keep you posted.

The front suspension is officially out! Spent 3 days tracking down a coil spring compressor. You would think that in a city as big as Las Vegas, it would be ready available, but noooooooo...... Everybody stocks strut spring compressors, but not old school coil spring compressors. Had to order one from NAPA (No Auto Parts Available). Just kidding. Got the springs and upper control arms out tonight. Talked to the guy at Opentracker Racing yesterday. He was a great help and helped me set up an order for all the components that will make my old girl handle as good as my wife's BMW. Maybe better! I'll keep you posted.
Let me know what you think about he new suspension when you have it installed. I went to the site and looked at their stuff and probably would have gone that route if I weren't already done with my front end. Good luck.

-jbojo

Let me know what you think about he new suspension when you have it installed. I went to the site and looked at their stuff and probably would have gone that route if I weren't already done with my front end. Good luck.

-jbojo
All of the parts should start rolling in this week. John, (the guy at OpenTracker Racing) was awesome! Such a wealth of knowledge. He knew exactly what I needed. I had stopped at the local Mustang parts house here and all they wanted to do was sell me a $3500 front racing suspension, even though I told them I wasn't going to race the car on a road course. Kinda left a bad taste in my mouth. Their loss. I'm super excited to get things going.

I'm going to spend this week sanding, cleaning and painting the chassis.

The front and rear suspension is done! Just waiting on the gear box, pitman arm and idler arm mounting bolts! The car sits so much better now. I'm getting excited to see how she looks after the engine is installed! :D

959183_10201316488220937_1583147453_o.jpg958377_10201317215399116_245659137_o.jpg958633_10201317582768300_1912973919_o.jpg959259_10201317521086758_1372084464_o.jpg962198_10201317520886753_819941218_o.jpg

Haven't done anything to the Mustang for the last few weeks, as my grandkids were here. They left this morning and I decided it was time to get back to work! I'm installing new headlight extensions. Got the left one in with no complications, pulled the right one out of the box, only to find it is missing parts. The bucket that holds the bulb and springs are nowhere to be found. Isn't that how it always goes? Funny part is, that is the only box I didn't open and inspect when it arrived back in April. Oh well, on to something else until NPD ships me a new one!

headlight bucket.JPG

Nice work Doug! I see a future car of the month in the making! I love the color combo.
Thanks, Don! That's one of my goals!!!!

Got the Evap canister and vacuum can refinished and installed. Replaced all the stainless steel brake lines with standard metal lines because the s/s lines were PITA to work with due to the rear disc brakes. Refinished the brake booster and brake/clutch pedal hanger and will be installing them tonight. Another inch towards the finish line!

evap cannister.jpg1092111_10201896463439955_173984232_o.jpg1093051_10201897323341452_1681932361_o.jpg1084383_10201897337621809_1340607521_o.jpg1083729_10201897324261475_1211069493_o.jpg

Latest posts

Back