fan shroud

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can only say do yourself a favor and take rackerm's call on this. i had the SAME issue as u and he helped me fix it with info provided. if u still want to use the older style rubber engine side then u NEED to replace the frame side with '71-72 mounts.  canted provided the web site. i paid around 120 bucks for mine. u can try ebay but those lower mounts are hard to come by.. bird in hand.
...so when you removed your 73 frame brackets and installed 71-72 frame brackets in their place, were the 4 existing mounting holes into the frame able to be used to install the "new" 71-2 brackets?

If so, this is a totally easy fix for Helicopter . Analysis paralysis.

By the way, I think the engine/trans is supposed to have a -3° angle, in it's relation to the frame/ground. If 3° is important in the eyes of the engineers, having the engine lower, while the trans mt position is at the stock elevation, would flatten out the intended canted angle.  Buy the 73 engine mounts or the 71-2 frame mounts...I bought the 73's as the captured mount was designed to be safer. There's options but you'll still have to do it.
The frame mount holes are the same between the 71 72 and 73 mounts. 

You are correct about the engine/ trans angle. The wrong frame and motor mount combination will effect this angle and possibly create hood and fan shroud clearance issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Try this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-17018/overview/

Cheapest quickest way just run a smaller fan. I run 1 of these with 500hp motor, stock radiator never goes over 180.
I bought the new shroud from Summit.  NOPE !!!   STILL scrapes. 

I don't know if they will let me return it but it definitely will NOT work.

This is the fan shroud from HELL !!!

ok.... the fan on the left is one that i am using now.. don't recall size but i think it's a 19". it has about 1/2" clearance all around. my '73, 302 had exactly the same issue u have. with maybe 1/4" at bottom fan/shroud and 1" or more on top. i wanted to keep the older rubber style mounts but with '73 frame side sat to low. so i did exactly what rackem said and i got 71/72 lowers and worked.. the older style lowers are drop and bolt. everything is the same it just raised the engine up about 1/2".

it'll cost ya the 140 bucks but your headache will go away.

or like mentioned get some 1/2 plate and drill holes to mount and place under the 73 lowers.

on a side note... do u have a/c in car. the shroud u bought is it for your car.. if both answer are correct rackam (if he still has it) had a non a/c shroud for sale.

Try this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-17018/overview/

Cheapest quickest way just run a smaller fan. I run 1 of these with 500hp motor, stock radiator never goes over 180.
I bought the new shroud from Summit.  NOPE !!!   STILL scrapes. 

I don't know if they will let me return it but it definitely will NOT work.

This is the fan shroud from HELL !!!

Helicopter,

Once again, the best solution to your problem is to replace the frame mounts with 71-72 mounts. I forget if you have a 73 hardtop or convertible. The 71-72  coupe/fastback frame mounts are plentiful, I must have seen a dozen of them at Carlisle.

Here is a picture comparing all frame mounts used from 71-73 for small block V8 coupe/fastback and convertibles. Also, the convertible frame mounts were used on all 1971 models with a 429ci big block engine. You can clearly see the height difference as well as the elimination of the tab from the 1973 version between them.

Back in the day we use to drill a hole in the non captive style of motor mount and put a 3/8" bolt with a nylock nut on it . You still have the rubber cushion but the bolt keeps the torque of the engine from tearing the rubber into. They would also use a section of chain to hold the right side of the engine down but not be rigid. Did this on all race cars or you were eating the radiators up all the time with the engine flopping around.

I’m trying to figure out which mounts I have. I’m pretty sure they are 73 mounts but I don’t know if they are vert or hard top. I have a 73 mach1 with 351c and automatic trans. The first pic is the mounts that came on the car when I took it apart (don’t mind the piece of rubber I just put it in there to take up space it needs rebuilt). The primered one is the replacement for one but as you can see the hole that bolts to the frame side is taller and it has a “R” stamped on the ear. Is the primered one the vert mount or could the other one be?

af300b4a0f592b2a4b680acf91225297.jpg
8a246738056e315feec02fd04b540466.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The first mount (not primered) with the short mounting bracket looks like the correct mount to me for a 73 convertible. Here are some close ups of my 73 vert mounts. From what I have seen they are commonly stamped with the number 665, but I have seen 663 and other numbers.

free coin generator

Back