fan shroud

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited by a moderator:
I am trying to find some authentic '72 mounts and perches.

TNX for the help. I would never have thought there was a difference in mounts.

Ugh !!!

Roy

I took out the RH engine mount and perch.   See pictures.

Can anyone tell if the mount or Perch or both need to be replaced with 1972 parts?

I was looking for a P/N on the perch.  No dice.

tiny image url

Can anyone tell if the mount or Perch or both need to be replaced with 1972 parts?

tiny image url
The left looks like a 71-72 mount for a coupe/FB and the right is definitely a 73 coupe/FB frame mount. I have lost track of what car you have. If it's a 73 vert that you have then neither of these is correct. For a 71-73 coupe/FB the 71-72 motor mount on left should work, if you replace the 73 frame mount with a 71-72 taller version. Your other choice is to keep the correct 73 frame mount on right and replace the 71-72 motor mounts with the correct 73 captive motor mounts.

Earlier I sent you a PM with an eBay link for a set of 71-72 Frame Mounts (perches)...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/71-72-73-Mustang-Mach-1-CJ-351-Motor-Mounts-1971-1972-1973/112777285049?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D47300%26meid%3Daabe1b8c659a43e4a339ab16debccfc2%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D112777285751%26itm%3D112777285049&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Again, here is a picture of your 73 frame mount compared to the one you need for your 71-72 motor mount...

Here is your 71-72 motor mount along side the correct 71-72 frame mount

share pics online

last yr when i did my engine and wanted to replace with 71-2 mounts. i found the frame side on ebay.. the only ones so i had to snap them up. if u really want to go 71-2 and u can not find the frame side u may want to look into just adding a steel plate drilled to fit and it would raise the 73 mounts up. this allows the use of 71-2 engine side mounts. now with that said i have not looked into if u raise them up do or will that change the location of the hole to connect the two together.. changing angle or something.. i don't know.

u have a choice.. keep orig 73 lower and by captive for like 200 bucks. or go with full change to 71's and be around 130 bucks. i just had a problem with spending 200 and same result with 130.. and if something went bad u don't pay another 200 bucks.

The set of (non convertible?) mounts on eBay were just sold..... they went quick!
The ones on ebay were listed as Torino they use a wider perch than the Mustang

last yr when i did my engine and wanted to replace with 71-2 mounts. i found the frame side on ebay.. the only ones so i had to snap them up. if u really want to go 71-2 and u can not find the frame side u may want to look into just adding a steel plate drilled to fit and it would raise the 73 mounts up. this allows the use of 71-2 engine side mounts. now with that said i have not looked into if u raise them up do or will that change the location of the hole to connect the two together.. changing angle or something.. i don't know.

u have a choice.. keep orig 73 lower and by captive for like 200 bucks. or go with full change to 71's  and be around 130 bucks. i just had a problem with spending 200 and same result with 130.. and if something went bad u don't pay another 200 bucks.
The old advertising slogan used to be "Ford has a better idea".  These changes to the 1973 engine mounts is NOT one of those "better idea".

Fixing this low engine prob is turning into a major undertaking.

Bottom Line:  What is my best approach to getting the fan to fit in the shroud?

TNX    :thankyouyellow:

Try this https://www.summitracing.com/parts/der-17018/overview/

Cheapest quickest way just run a smaller fan. I run 1 of these with 500hp motor, stock radiator never goes over 180.

tiny image url
Your picture shows you have a 72 small block motor mount and a 73 frame mount (perch). I assume you would want to take the less expensive and more available route. That said, replace the frame mounts with 71 or 72 model year. Otherwise, go with one of the aftermarket setups others have suggested.

I added another article I found that speaks to the difference between years and between convertible and other models.

Ford 1964-73 Smallblock V8 Motor Mounts.pdf

Attachments

• Ford 1964-73 Smallblock V8 Motor Mounts.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 22

Cheapest quickest way just run a smaller fan. I run 1 of these with 500hp motor, stock radiator never goes over 180.
It looks like getting the right engine mounts and perches is going to take some time.

I am thinking the smaller fan will be a good interim solution.

It looks like getting the right engine mounts and perches is going to take some time.

I am thinking the smaller fan will be a good interim solution.
If you want a set of 71-72 frame mounts to match your 71-72 motor mounts here you go.

https://secure.cougarpartscatalog.com/d1sb-framebrkt-pair.html?attribs=84

They are not cheap but they aren't getting any cheaper with the passage of time. These mounts are taller than the 73 mounts you currently have and will therefore raise your engine up to the stock height, if that is your goal.

i can only say do yourself a favor and take rackerm's call on this. i had the SAME issue as u and he helped me fix it with info provided. if u still want to use the older style rubber engine side then u NEED to replace the frame side with '71-72 mounts. canted provided the web site. i paid around 120 bucks for mine. u can try ebay but those lower mounts are hard to come by.. bird in hand.

i can only say do yourself a favor and take rackerm's call on this. i had the SAME issue as u and he helped me fix it with info provided. if u still want to use the older style rubber engine side then u NEED to replace the frame side with '71-72 mounts.  canted provided the web site. i paid around 120 bucks for mine. u can try ebay but those lower mounts are hard to come by.. bird in hand.
...so when you removed your 73 frame brackets and installed 71-72 frame brackets in their place, were the 4 existing mounting holes into the frame able to be used to install the "new" 71-2 brackets?

If so, this is a totally easy fix for Helicopter . Analysis paralysis.

By the way, I think the engine/trans is supposed to have a -3° angle, in it's relation to the frame/ground. If 3° is important in the eyes of the engineers, having the engine lower, while the trans mt position is at the stock elevation, would flatten out the intended canted angle.  Buy the 73 engine mounts or the 71-2 frame mounts...I bought the 73's as the captured mount was designed to be safer. There's options but you'll still have to do it.

Back