HEI distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rebuilt my 351C in my '72 fastback and went with a cheap Proform HEI from Summit Racing.  The bad part was that I could never get more than 28 degrees of total timing no matter what I did with weights or springs.  I ordered a DUI from Performance Distributors in Memphis and gave them all my specs so they could custom curve it for maximum performance.  I tried to install it last weekend but the distributor housing that lives below the block deck is too big (diameter) and while it goes through the hole in the block, it hits some internal casting about 1.5 inches into the block and will not go any deeper.  I have been emailing back and forth with Performance Distributors, sending them pictures and measurements, but I don't think I am any closer to getting this resolved.  I'm getting that feeling like they are not going to stand behind their product.  The housing is .066 larger than the Proform distributor and the last email from them was that their distributor is the right size for a 351C and the smaller Proform housing is the spec for a 302 engine.  To fix it I believe I will either have to remove the intake and radius out that part of the block with a carbide bit and Dremel tool or somehow turn the housing down .066 in a lathe.  At the risk of hijacking this forum, has anyone else had this issue?  Any other ideas out there?
I did the same thing as you. Started with the cheap Chinese HEI. I was able to get the timing right but snapped the shaft in 1/2 after about 1,500 miles. Then went with the DUI custom set up from performance distributors. I had no fitment issues at all and it works great. Timing curve is spot on. I did have an issue with the plug wires they sent me. Had the 90 boots on them which don’t work with a Cleveland running headers. They replaced them immediately via next day air. Odd yours is not fitting. What is the casting number on your block?
Hi Jason.  I don’t know the casting number but can get it later.  That’s a good idea to see if my block is a one-off or DUI sent out a unit that skipped the final step at the lathe. I talked to them on Monday and the distributor is on its way back for a modification. My POS distributor housing was 1.493 inches and the DUI was 1.559 inches.  The POS fit but at the end of the day, it is still a POS.  I’m hoping for good things from the DUI unit.  I wonder if anyone out there has a distributor and can measure the part of the housing that goes through the block deck.  Either that or measure the distributor hole on a 351C.

The block I have handy measures 1.5" +/- with a dial caliper. Didn't have time to dig out the bore gauges.

Looks like you have two POS distributors now.... :(

Two 351C blocks, 1.561" and 1.560", neither have anything smaller until the bottom shaft support. Two Ford distributors, 1.558" and 1.557" with both having a gear diameter of 1.416".

I agree with Hemi, you now have 2 POS HEIs, and you're going to trust them to send you a quality built third one?

Two 351C blocks, 1.561" and 1.560", neither have anything smaller until the bottom shaft support. Two Ford distributors, 1.558" and 1.557" with both having a gear diameter of 1.416".

I agree with Hemi, you now have 2 POS HEIs, and you're going to trust them to send you a quality built third one?
If the distributor you got from performance distributors is 1.559 then it is correct for a 351c block. That is what mine is, fits no problem.

Back