help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slideways

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach1 ( resto project)
1999 GT
I have a 73 mach 1 automatic with a 302. It's a project and my first at that. I have been wanting to make it a standard cause to me there's no better feeling than grabbing gears! So I have a friend that wants to get rid of his t45 out of a 96 cobra. It comes with the bell housing fly wheel clutch ect. The whole nine yards. I'm just wondering if what else will I need besides pedals ect. What am I gonna need. Drive shaft? What? I'm not a super mechanic so I figured I'd ask the experts or the people who have done stuff like this before.

The 96 trans uses a cable actuated clutch that can be adapted to your car, personally I dont like the look. Functionally it's ok. Modern Driveline makes a real nice retro-fit clutch pedal that works nice with a cut down automatic pedal and attaches to the automatic pedal bracket. yes, you'll likely need to have a driveshaft made and modify, fabricate or buy a trans crossmember. The starters are also different from an auto to manual. There are quite a few details that need to be addressed. It is a reasonable amount of fabrication and planning. It really would depend on your skill levels as a mechanic and fabricator. "Kits" do make the job easier... but much less challenging. My 5 speed swap was one of the best mods done to my convertible.

Thanks for your input Jeff. I honestly rather find a older 4 speed trans, but my buddy was gonna give me a god deal. He only wants $400 for all of it. I might just leave it auto for now and do it later on down the road.

The t45 has a built on bell housing that will not fit a 302. It's for mod (ohc) series only. You need a t5, 3550, tko 500 or 600 plus bell housing for the small block Ford.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

Back