Loctite on curb idle screw

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach1
My curb idle screw keeps backing off when driving. Aside from lower than optimal idle, it also gets my adjustment to my acc pump linkage out of whack. I'm thinking of putting a drop of the non-permanent Locktite on the screw once I get it reset, but before I do I was wondering if anyone else had any better ideas.

If stretching the spring doesn't work, use either blue or green Loctite, they will be easy enough to break the bond when you need to adjust it, and have a high enough operating range for under hood use. The advantage to using green is that it penetrates into the connection, doesn't require applying first.

The Vibra Tite vc-3 stuff worked great. After it was "dry" I reset the screw to the proper spot, got the idle exactly where I wanted it. Then gave the throttle about 15 or 20 quick hits with my thumb letting it slap back on the screw each time and the idle never even moved 10rpm off my setting. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!

The Vibra Tite vc-3 stuff worked great. After it was "dry" I reset the screw to the proper spot, got the idle exactly where I wanted it. Then gave the throttle about 15 or 20 quick hits with my thumb letting it slap back on the screw each time and the idle never even moved 10rpm off my setting. Thanks for all the recommendations everyone!
Thanks for the update. I will have to get some, but not quite sure which color to get.

I just had to come back and say that as silly as this sounds, putting the Vibra Tite vc-3 on the idle screw is one of the best things I've done to that carb. After quite a bit of driving, my idle stays right were it needs to be, and the throttle response is always exactly where I expect it to be because the adjustment to the acc.pump linkage hasn't changed. Wish I had done this a couple years ago.

Back