no power to gauge lights turn sigals wiper motor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobtheo

Reaction score
My Car
1972 mustang coupe 302ci 2v
today i was trying to diagnose and repair some of the electrical, and i have found that there is so power running to the to wiper motor connecter, or the turn signal ( i checked the wiring at the flasher with the turn signal switched on and at the wire running through the steering column). the dash lights do not turn on with the head lights on, but i have not completely checked the wiring for the dash lights, but i suspect the lights might not be working because of the lack of power in the wiper motor and turn signals. i have read that the voltage regulator might be the issue, but i dont know what else i can check. has anyone ever had this issue before? and do any of you guys have suggestions? thanks in advance!

All three circuits you describe have nothing in common except for grounds. The voltage regulator is out of the equation entirely, as it only controls gauges.

Wiper power comes from the ACC line via the ignition switch.

Dash lamp power comes from the headlight switch.

Turn signals get their power from the brake switch, which gets its power in turn from the fuse box (AC fused).

ok, i guess i will be hunting for corroded grounds. would the location for the grounds be in the engine bay or the cab? oh and btw, the highlight of the day was finding a metal band aid container taped to the side of the turn signal flasher. i will post a pic tomorrow.

well i checked the fuses again today, and while the key is on some of the fuses seem to not have power, i used a test light and 3 fuses read ok with 15.4 volts, but some of the fuses do not have power coming from either side. the print beside these fuses are too small to read so i do not know what they are for. i have always thought even if the fuse is blown, there should be power coming from at least one side. is that correct?

Yes, that's correct, with one exception: the dash lamps (you need to pull the headlight knob out and rotate the knob). Tell me which fuses are blown (a diagram as to how you see the fusebox) and I'll tell you if those fuses control those problem areas.

Last edited by a moderator:
i will check them tomorrow, its too dark here now and its not in a shop. i will also post a picture of my fuse box with the problem fuses circled. oh and would a 73 turn signal switch work in my 72? my father has one new in the box that we are going to install in mine just so the switch is newer.

Negative on the turn signal switch: different connector design.

theissuefuses_zps151a6d8b.jpg

the ones circled are the ones with no power at all. i cant get in their far enough to see what the fuses are for. and i can barely make out what teh fuses read as on the pic. the pic is not mine btw i think i got it off of this site.

The fuses circled, starting top left, working to the right and down:

F-1 W/S Washer Switch, Radio, Backup Lamp Switch Manual, Start Interlock & Backup Lamp Switch, T/S Flasher

F-7 Heater

And the little guy

F-5 Instrument Panel Lamps

Just noticed that you have a 72, not a 73. This is based on info that I pulled from the 73 wiring diagram, because that's what I have. Midlife might know better if the fuses changed from year to year.

Give this a look:

http://www.7173mustangs.com/images/1972_full.pdf

Best thing is to start working backwards from the fuses and see what you DO have power, you may have a disconnect somewhere.

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the help guys.
Hi Bob. Did you ever fix your power issues? If so, what was the cure.

I have almost the exact same problems with my 73. Turn signals, wipers, blower are out and half the fuses do not have power.

Thanks,

John

no i havent, its sitting behind my shop at the moment. i got a dodge truck im going to be driving for a while and the mustang will be something i work on later on. i did find that some of the original wiring was chopped for some reason but other than that i havent solved the issue with my lights.

Back