Pulling E-brake cable from backing plate

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey folks,

I am trying to remove the E-brake cable without breaking it but I am stuck at the backing plate that closes the back of the drum. The retainer keeping the cable in, has anybody been able to wiggle it back out or is that impossible? It’s the retainer in below image:

266639CD-D6CD-4769-9DAA-97AE14E07CC4.jpeg

Any ideas to get it out are welcome!

Cheers,
Vincent.

I believe there is a tool made for that, but when I struggled with mine, I got a small gear clamp and used it to compress the little fingers enough to be able to pull out the cable. It was a pita, but worked. You might try needle nose pliers as well.
When you replace the cable, just make sure the fingers are raised enough so the lock in. I struggle with this for some time, but won in the end.

Hey folks,

I am trying to remove the E-brake cable without breaking it but I am stuck at the backing plate that closes the back of the drum. The retainer keeping the cable in, has anybody been able to wiggle it back out or is that impossible? It’s the retainer in below image:

View attachment 62222

Any ideas to get it out are welcome!

Cheers,
Vincent.
Soak it with panther piss overnite, use a .556 bore brush to clean it up in the morning. and then use a small worm gear hose clamp to compress it in..

Cheers guys! I tried the zip tie but maybe it was too dirty still coz that didn't work.

Panther piss? LOL I guess that's some cleaning agent? I'll try that and I have wrenches with box end, gear clamps and more zip ties ready!

Ta!

V.

VICTORY IS MIIIIIINE! ;-)

IMG_7339.JPG

Cleaned it, put the gear clamp on and gently hammered it back through the hole. less than 5 minutes each.

Thanks again for this pro tip!

V.

Attachments

• D71BC8B1-DB08-403B-96BF-4CFC9805A4CA.gif
    D71BC8B1-DB08-403B-96BF-4CFC9805A4CA.gif
    549.5 KB · Views: 8
Back