Reattaching aprons

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hey Guys,

I am removing the aprons on my 72 in the engine bay. I have the new aprons. What is the common practice for reattaching. I'm thinking that you would have to drill holes in the new aprons and spot weld back like the originals? Can someone chime in please.

Thanks.

D. Rolls

Hey Guys,

I am removing the aprons on my 72 in the engine bay. I have the new aprons. What is the common practice for reattaching. I'm thinking that you would have to drill holes in the new aprons and spot weld back like the originals? Can someone chime in please.

Thanks.

D. Rolls
I plan on plug welding to simulate the original spot welds, but you may want to take a look at what member Qcode351mach is doing with his restoration...

Hey Guys,

Thanks.

D. Rolls
I plan on plug welding to simulate the original spot welds, but you may want to take a look at what member Qcode351mach is doing with his restoration...
X2, Scott is your man... there´s also a guy i believe his Austrian, another member here.. Sorry i dont remember his username... i´m new here too!!... anyway, i saw what he did to his 69 Mach1 and 71 Convertible and he´s another great restorer...

And we all going to try to tell you what we think! you´re gonna have all the assistance you need ;)

You may also wanna add some pics of the work you´re doing, sometimes that make us realice some other tweak you may also need...

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Guys,

Thanks.

D. Rolls
D, Your correct..try & match the same distance between spot welds the same as what you drilled out..KEY MOST IMPORTANT !! make sure the area under the overlap is clean you can sand with 80 grit on the d.a. Then apply WELD THROUGH PRIMER...Look at my video to see what happens when you don't.

B..The only thing that simulates original spot welds is a "resistance welder" I had one in my shop pretty pricey piece of equip.

Hey Guys,

Thanks.

D. Rolls
D, Your correct..try & match the same distance between spot welds the same as what you drilled out..KEY MOST IMPORTANT !! make sure the area under the overlap is clean you can sand with 80 grit on the d.a. Then apply WELD THROUGH PRIMER...Look at my video to see what happens when you don't.

Never mind about the last question. I just re-read your post. I will plan on matching the existing spot weld holes and tack on.

So if I understand this correctly, I should be prepared, after welding back on, to treat the welded areas with weld primer? Is this correct? Can you buy this stuff anywhere or is it a specialty item?Does it also make sense to drill out holes in the new aprons to weld back on? Thanks for the help

Wrong..BEFORE you weld on sand the shock tower edge where the apron goes..THEN spray weld through primer on that edge..Then put apron on..Weld thru goes on the side you will be welding to...Yes YOU MUST drill holes on the new apron piece FIRST before attaching..Think of the weld thru as the meat in a sandwich.

Most welding or autobody supply shops carry it...

weld thru primer

Back