What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Took the torches to the parts car and tried to salvage anything i could
Looks like lots of good VERY HARD TO FIND structural parts for sale ! The towers & rear rails are what I'm talking about..Should bring you nice $$$$

I will say this.. it's a bitch of a job to drill out the spot welds & get the towers separated from the frame rail & cross member cleanly..which is really the best way to do a replacement..It's how I did my car..5 shock towers in all ! 2 on the car , my 2 replacements & the piece that was left on my replacement frame rail .GLAD I'M PAST THAT whew!

Last edited by a moderator:
Spent the morning working on the floor under the rear seat figuring a path forward. Thanks Qcode351mach. Then got a wild hair to see the front end with all the pieces. Nowhere near ready for it but it is inspirational. :D

DSCN1319.JPGDSCN1320.JPGDSCN1321.JPGDSCN1331.JPG

Spent the morning working on the floor under the rear seat figuring a path forward. Thanks Qcode351mach. Then got a wild hair to see the front end with all the pieces. Nowhere near ready for it but it is inspirational. :D
You got it ! I love "maching up new pieces" It really is good to keep interest up ! It's also a great way to make sure things fit & what mods might be required for proper installation..Lets you really think things through. I had my whole front structure installed with sheet metal screws before I ever picked up the welder. You should do the same..Then install the fenders etc. to make sure it's all square. Once you get it where you want it put a few final "alignment" sheet metal screws in. Remove your parts..prep..then just put back together using the "alignment" sheet metal screws.

You got it ! I love "maching up new pieces" It really is good to keep interest up ! It's also a great way to make sure things fit & what mods might be required for proper installation..Lets you really think things through. I had my whole front structure installed with sheet metal screws before I ever picked up the welder. You should do the same..Then install the fenders etc. to make sure it's all square. Once you get it where you want it put a few final "alignment" sheet metal screws in. Remove your parts..prep..then just put back together using the "alignment" sheet metal screws.
From what I saw, Man have I got some aligning to do. I think they used this thing for tractor football on the rails! :p

I have to remove & replace the driver's side rear frame rail on my M code (after floor pan R&R). Does the same sheet metal screw technique apply for rear frame rails?

I have to remove & replace the driver's side rear frame rail on my M code (after floor pan R&R). Does the same sheet metal screw technique apply for rear frame rails?
Yes D..it does..Are you replacing the entire rail or just the rear section ?

Yes D..it does..Are you replacing the entire rail or just the rear section ?
I'll start a new thread about it. I need to take some pics of it before I do that tho. Stay tuned.

sanded down to bare metal on roof and hood, needed small amount of Bondo, grabbed my torched and removed a high spot, you heat the high spot then quench it with wet rag and the metal shrinks and high spot is gone, sometimes you need to tap the surrounding area with a body hammer as well when heating with a torch. Primered with epoxy primer, Check out my make shift spray booth made from a Portable garage, it s has incoming fan and outgoing filtered exhaust and fluorescent lighting, no overspray using HVLP spray gun at 30 PSI.

before after 1.JPG

I replaced the heater core in my 73 , Im glad thats overwith. Almost a two day job. Whoever designed the heater box must of thougt it would last forever,

supercoupe. Nice setup. I'll have to run down to your place when I'm ready for paint! :)

Hey Mr. NoLimitssjca, we should meet up sometime since Im an hour south of you, swap stories and stuff, Im trying to great ready for 2012 car shows, one at Mustangs Plus in Stockton in April, Laguna Seca in May, and the Cherry's Jubilee in Monterey in Sept, just to name a few

supercoupe. Nice setup. I'll have to run down to your place when I'm ready for paint! :)

Hey supercoupe,

Sounds like fun. I've only been to one show. I stumbled on a Mustang show in Cuertino last summer. The newest Stangs there were a few 69's and 1 70. I'd love to go to some other shows. I'll get details from you later.

BTW the name's Ed...

Spent the entire day in the garage. :) Started with PB Blastering the seat belt bolt that was cut off for removal(amazing what having the right tool and liquid assistance can do). :p Then moved on to removing more undercoating (I don't know if it was Stretch Ziebart or Stretch Ford guy but he sure did reach deep into the rear quarters).Then sizing up floor panels while I wait for my kids Christmas gifts of driverside complete floor and rear fraim rail and replacement rear frames. Man I've got some great kids!! :)

DSCN1320.JPGDSCN1337.JPGDSCN1338.JPGDSCN1332.JPGDSCN1335.JPGDSCN1336.JPG

I started it. Let it run for about 10 minutes and shut it off again. (It's parked at my parents house since I don't have room for it here). It was rainy today so while visiting I just fired it up and let it idle. It was still good to hear it run. Pretty soon it will be nice enough I will swap it out with the Jeep, bring it home and drive it around a bit.

Back