What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Worked on the engine, pulled the mains, pistons and H-balancer.

Some of the bearing were in bad shape. Pistons and rods all were original - dated 1970, in a 1972 engine, in a 1973 body.

Pistons

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea on the engine. Originally a 302, it was seized when the previous owner got it, he put in a 351W it was bad and he found current 351C from a 1972.

Worked on the engine, pulled the mains, pistons and H-balancer.

Some of the bearing were in bad shape. Pistons and rods all were original - dated 1970, in a 1972 engine, in a 1973 body.
How many miles are on the clock?

Rebuilt this spacer that the master cylinder and brake support mounts to. A lot faster than trying to find one off a donor!

before and after

1zvwcbs.jpg

abs5xv.jpg

Pulled CAM from 351C and it's now the block is ready to head off to be machined, along with the crank. Now I have to decide how much machining I want done.

Last edited by a moderator:
rejetted my carbs primary side yesterday and reset the float levels. It started raining so I waited til today to test drive. Got two blocks from the house and the shifter locked up in neutral.

Crawled under car and manually engaged 3rd gear and limped home. The larger bolt that mounts the shifter and on which everything pivots had backed out and thankfully was trapped against the tunnel. After a bunch of twisting and wiggling I got it all back together, managed to add some blue loctite where the bolt goes through and back it up and retightened it and went ahead and adjusted the stops. (The bolt cannot be removed with the shifter in place)

Looks like I'll need a new shifter boot as mine was glued down and I tore a corner, but that will wait until I get a test drive done.

Found that my transmission is leaking out the top cover gasket and cleaned up the mess. but I'm probably going to have to drop the transmission to fix it. :(

Topped off the rearend that was almost a quart low on fluid-no leaks visible, but the car was at an extreme angle when I filled it after pulling it to check pattern and reset backlash last month.

It's hot, the work was frustrating and even though it is basically done, I'm not feeling enough love to change the leaking valve cover gaskets this week.

Installed five leaf springs a couple weeks ago. Today we put on

Koni Special D adjustable shocks.

mike
Let us know how you like them
So far so good, only been on the car a couple of days though.

My mechanic has been purposely aiming for pot holes etc.

We have them set about 1 1/3 turns from firm setting. Full travel

is 3 1/2 stop to stop. Koni sells these on their site for $408 full retail

each. Although currently on sale for $244, Summit has them for $114.

Addendum: These shocks came with no installation instructions.

I guess if you buy these you must know what you are doing.

mike

FINALLY FINALLY FINALLY I have a MOT and can now start the process of registering the car and get it on the road.

Its feels a lot longer than April 27th since i first purchased the car

img001.jpg

Removed the oil pan from the FMX transmission. That wasn't messy at all. Pumped all but what was in the pan out through the dipstick tube. Then removed all but two bolts on one side. Broke the seal and let it drip a little. Then just left one bolt and held the bottem, loosened that bolt, and done.
0f4950a4454eb924b63dacf59558627e.jpg
1410df1fe6b5a6b8498ccfc392b8a243.jpg
New filter, gasket, bolts, and fluid are next. Then done for the day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Hit the aftermarket hood with some primer this morning.

Got rid of a bit of surface rust and that thin ugly black coating.

Put it on thick!!! That will do until I get ready go get it painted.

[/align]

Hit the aftermarket hood with some primer this morning.

Got rid of a bit of surface rust and that thin ugly black coating.

Put it on thick!!! That will do until I get ready go get it painted.

[/align]
If the arch of the hood does not match the fenders, usually doesn't, you can actually bend the hood some. They do not spot weld the outer skin to the inner reinforcement on the new hoods which allows you to make adjustments. My friend that does restorations will put blocks on corners and set bags of sand on and has actually stood on the hood to flex it into shape. Go slow if you kink it you are done. Yes you can shim the fenders also but flexing the hood keeps your fenders in correct shape.

Even though the hood was ecoated it does not have paint inside the hood and will rust. You might get one of the kits to coat inside from Eastwood or another supplier to add some protection.

Back