What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Catalouged a bunch of inventory from my pictures since hearing the SHARPIE wears off so much. Got a pretty good plan going I think using old storage drawer cabinets and shelves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Today, I got the parts I'd ordered from O'Reilly Auto Parts and got to work. I replaced the oil ring in the #4 piston that got bent during installation (as noted by a nice line down the cylinder wall that shouldn't be a problem - I was too embarrassed to mention that I'd messed that up), and got it all back in. Tightened down the windage tray and installed the new stock oil pump with the new stock pickup tube. Unfortunately, it looks like the stock pickup is just 'that much' too deep for the new stock (chrome) oil pan, so I'll have to buzz a couple 16ths off the bottom of the shroud to fit right.

After that, I rotated everything around to line up at TDC and slid on the cam sprocket, crank gear, and timing chain. Then, I got the timing cover cleaned up, painted, and installed, followed by the water pump after a nice coat of Old Ford Blue (which, BTW, is the right color... because that's what color I painted it ;) ;) ).

Finished up by getting the heads cleaned and painted, and they'll go on tomorrow. Also tested out the Crane Cams 5/16"-7/16" roller rocker studs, and it looks like they'll work just fine (without having to machine the heads, as CompCams wants you to do with their roller rocker stud mounts).

So tomorrow: clean and paint the crank pulley, timing marker, and oil dipstick tube, polish the thermostat housing, adjust the oil pickup, and install all those things along with the heads, roller rockers, pushrods, valve covers, and oil pan. Then, the engine will be 'done' until the intake shows up and it's time to drop into the car. I'm SO excited!! Pictures coming tomorrow.

Catalouged a bunch of inventory from my pictures since hearing the SHARPIE wears off so much. Got a pretty good plan going I think using old storage drawer cabinets and shelves.
Good idea. I need to start cataloging parts. I've just been marking them. I use a yellow parts pen/marker I picked up ar Sears. It's not a paint marker but kind of a chalk look...sticks on the part pretty good.

Finally got things to where I could start blasting again. Started at the rear and am working forward now.
That looks very familiar:) Glad I'm past that ..You know the rear pans under the rear seat are not reproduced yet:( But what you can do is use the 66-70 & modify to fit..Also while you have access to the inside of the frame rails you should use my sponge on a string trick to completely rustproof the inside of the rails before you close them up.

What type of rust neutralizer are you recommending? I have several spots I just can't seem to get 100%.
Try..some black beauty in your blaster for those areas..If that doesn't work then wire wheel with a 4" grinder & course wire wheel..RUST BULLET for all my inner structure, underside of the car & inside the doors.. Then epoxy for the engine compartment, inside the fenders..inside the quarter panels the entire exterior

Today I cataloged all of my new parts. Put them in order and marked each box with the contents. Boy did I spend alot! But it will all be worth it. As my wife says "The giant model kit"

Got some more work on the engine today. Installed the oil pan, harmonic balancer, timing indicator, fuel pump block-off plate, the heads, and rocker studs & push-rod guides. Test-fitted a couple of the roller rockers to make sure they'll clear the valve covers - good to go. Just gotta get in back in there to install them and set the pre-load - next Sunday.

Here we are after today's work:

389495_314742921869966_100000027814872_1244692_300326582_n.jpg

And here's the ratty old thing I pulled out of the Rustang:

46400_155084234502503_100000027814872_484500_7449094_n.jpg

Man, it's hard to believe that's the same nasty old engine that came out of there.

OK - so who knows which Edelbrock Performer series intake fits while still allowing use of the factory Ram Air with an Edelbrock 1406 Performer carb? I heard the Air-Gap is no good, but the Dual-Plane should be fine.

Thanks, Man. I had to get into the engine to get away from all the cutting, grinding, and welding to replace all the bad sheet metal. Still got a long way to go, but it'll get the someday. Once the engine's done, it'll be time to dive into the cowl damage, then... the trunk.

Thanks, Man. I had to get into the engine to get away from all the cutting, grinding, and welding to replace all the bad sheet metal. Still got a long way to go, but it'll get the someday. Once the engine's done, it'll be time to dive into the cowl damage, then... the trunk.
::goodjob::

Well been working or I guess I should say my cousin has been working on mounting 2 5.25 speakers in the front dash stock location. Also smoked my module in my dizzy today due to a chaffed wire, O'well stuff happens
Have a speaker set for in the dash but have not figured out how to get them to fit. Will need to take a second look. Thanks for the pics.

mike

LOL! Thanks guys. I think Roy's pretty much got the engine bling thing covered for just about all of us. He's definitely got the Big Dawg set-up, for sure! ;) :D

Today I looked at it in the garage wondering what I can do to make it run a bit smoother.. Also what I should do with the interior.. Tomorrow I may take it out a ride..

Went into the garage and looked at it. :dodgy:

The roads are covered with salt as temperatures drop below freezing at night.

That sucks, knowing that I won't be driving it until spring.

Tonight some friends are coming over to check out the car because they want it for their wedding next Juli. Gotta make sure the bride's dress will fit inside. :D

Back