What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Curiosity: does it still need a continuous bead if the seam is flanged and overlayed? (I'm still no good at butt-welding) It makes sense to me that laying a bead along the edge would be a good idea (I'm having visions of the edge flexing just enough to crack filler and paint), but I 'rosette' welded every inch or so - based on what I read on several sites.

All that aside, you know I'm going to go with your advice regardless. ;)
Yes you should run a bead along the whole seam..Your visions are correct if that's not done..& your should seal the back side with evercoat 870 or evercoat 633 your choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Evercoat-633-Reinforced-Compound/dp/B000P70VGQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1/188-3217728-4551918

http://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Evercoat-870-Adhesive-Filler/dp/B000P72HF4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1

Curiosity: does it still need a continuous bead if the seam is flanged and overlayed? (I'm still no good at butt-welding) It makes sense to me that laying a bead along the edge would be a good idea (I'm having visions of the edge flexing just enough to crack filler and paint), but I 'rosette' welded every inch or so - based on what I read on several sites.

Yes you should run a bead along the whole seam..Your visions are correct if that's not done..& your should seal the back side with evercoat 870 or evercoat 633 your choice.

http://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Evercoat-633-Reinforced-Compound/dp/B000P70VGQ/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1/188-3217728-4551918

http://www.amazon.com/Fibreglass-Evercoat-870-Adhesive-Filler/dp/B000P72HF4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_auto_1
I was going to use the brush-on seam sealer for the backside - but not anymore! Gonna be a biyatch gettin' to some places in there, but that's what needs to be done - so be it.

As always, thanks again Q!

And thanks for the kind words, all.

Repaired the 2 inch x 7 inch slice missing from the rear tank support. Got that zirked down to finish the repairs to the DS shock bracket that I needed to get some measurements for.

I was going to use the brush-on seam sealer for the backside - but not anymore! Gonna be a biyatch gettin' to some places in there, but that's what needs to be done - so be it.

As always, thanks again Q!
You got it E ! If you put it on nice & smooth then instead of spray can undercoat use spi bed-liner to do the whole inner qtr outer wheel house inner structure..The repair should be invisible protected for life from in the trunk..The car I looked at yesterday had nothing done in the trunk where it was overlapped..Looked like shit & worse was the fact that there was rust already forming along the overlap.. You can also use the spi bed-liner in the wheelhouses..Really good stuff just like the r/b you won't regret using it ! I will be doing mine the same way

Last edited by a moderator:
new autometers. re-wiring everything under the dash next. yay.

27zyw00.jpg

i took mine to a local detailer to remove oxidation, wax it and do a little touch up paint. Next week it goes to get a new top. Pictures will follow....

That cluster looks good! Keep in mind the tach will wire up different now.

Guys,

Attempted to install coil springs on sunday. I almost lost fingers with an old OTC unit. I researched and built a through the tower unit from instructions from DAZECARS.com. This was the easist tool to use and I completed the installation in about 30 mins, safely !!! I would recommend it highly. You can also purchase one for less that $100.00. I can now finally roll it out of the garage on its own wheels !!!

Guys,

Attempted to install coil springs on sunday. I almost lost fingers with an old OTC unit. I researched and built a through the tower unit from instructions from DAZECARS.com. This was the easist tool to use and I completed the installation in about 30 mins, safely !!! I would recommend it highly. You can also purchase one for less that $100.00. I can now finally roll it out of the garage on its own wheels !!!
I remember doing the same in the past and it taking hours and grazing knuckles, risking losing fingers etc. Never again, I bought one of the internal ones to do the job now.

Did the final scrubbing on the rear in preperation of the trunk floor pan install. Will coat tomorrow and hopefully be welding on Friday.
Always good to see them cleaned up like this. Good work!

I've had a couple of weeks holiday. The first was finishing stripping the body ready for the body shop to bare metal her.

This week has been more of organising and getting every part back to the workshop at home. Putting up a racking system and organising what needs cleaning to paint, what needs keeping till the new parts are fitted, so I have a guide of how it originaly went on the car etc. Very time consuming in itself.

So I've spent a little over a week fitting the whole rear end of the car together..Major mistake I've noticed on numerous cars is that the rear body panel isn't centered left to right perfectly..The space from the edge of the tail light opening to the qtr extension isn't the same on both sides..Now I know why..IT"S A BITCH to get it perfect ! Even though I used a n.o.s. ford part it still took some shaving of material here & there..I also almost finished the repairs to the rotted out rain gutters where they meet the rear body panel..I've got everything pretty nice so the final tweaks will be done when I do the actual body work. The bumper still needs a touch more tweaking but I'm real close !:D about 40 hours just in this repair alignment phase..

100_3563.JPG100_3567.JPG100_3568.JPG100_3569.JPG

Back