What did you do to your car today?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bummer of bummers... Summit doesn't expect the headers in until June 17th... which kinda throws the possibility of actually starting it on Memorial Day weekend under the bus.

Oh well - I can always hang headers in the driveway. Would've been easier on the lift, but it's still doable.
Just called Summit and changed the order - I've got some Hooker Competition ceramic coated headers on the way, instead of waiting til mid-next month for the Hedmans.

So maybe... just maybe... I might be back on track to hear it run soon.

Yesterday - got the backing plates pulled off, 'blasted & painted, then re-installed and got the e-brake cable installed and run up to the front (still gotta stuff it through the floor so it'll reach to the pedal. Also cleaned up and sealed the last few spots underneath and undercoated the crap out of everything. I'll pull and rebuild the axle later... big thing right now is to get all the main stuff underneath done, since I won't have a lift at home.

Also cancelled the back-ordered tank from another vendor and talked to Don - who I'm sure will bail me out yet again by working his magic. :udaman:

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, it's all starting to come together for the most part. Tuesday evening, the fuel tank showed up (as Don promised it would - Thank you again!). Last night (Wednesday), two boxes from Summit showed up containing: Edelbrock 1406 carb, throttle linkage adapter plate, Cardone remanufactured dizzy, cap & rotor, Accel Super Coil (yellow), Mr. Gasket chrome coil bracket, Accel cut-to-fit (yellow) 8mm wires, and 2 Accel wire sperator kits. UPS tracking says my headers and exhaust system should be here Friday.

SO! Tomorrow (taking the day off), I will be prepping the tank to hang, clean up the engine bay, power-wash the AOD, clean up the e-brake pedal assembly, and finish putting the rear brakes back together.

Right now, I need to call Inline Tube (AGAIN!) to find out where the Hell my fuel lines, brake lines, and hardware kits are. They have been completely inattentive to my order. I received no invoice from them and had to call for that last Thursday. The guy I talked to assured me it was being processed and I should have a shipping number within a few days - and again, that was last week... and they already have my credit card number and billing information as part of their initial ordering process, so there should not be a non-payment issue or anything. It's truly all 'on them' at this point. I can't say I'm very impressed so far.

UPDATE: just talked to James at Inline Tube, and he said the same thing Chuck said last week: "We're working on your order... we're a little behind... as soon as it ships, we'll send you the completed invoice and tracking number... should go out either today or tomorrow and you should have it by next Wednesday - latest."

Yeah, right... whatever.

Well, it's all starting to come together for the most part. Tuesday evening, the fuel tank showed up (as Don promised it would - Thank you again!). Last night (Wednesday), two boxes from Summit showed up containing: Edelbrock 1406 carb, throttle linkage adapter plate, Cardone remanufactured dizzy, cap & rotor, Accel Super Coil (yellow), Mr. Gasket chrome coil bracket, Accel cut-to-fit (yellow) 8mm wires, and 2 Accel wire sperator kits. UPS tracking says my headers and exhaust system should be here Friday.

SO! Tomorrow (taking the day off), I will be prepping the tank to hang, clean up the engine bay, power-wash the AOD, clean up the e-brake pedal assembly, and finish putting the rear brakes back together.

Right now, I need to call Inline Tube (AGAIN!) to find out where the Hell my fuel lines, brake lines, and hardware kits are. They have been completely inattentive to my order. I received no invoice from them and had to call for that last Thursday. The guy I talked to assured me it was being processed and I should have a shipping number within a few days - and again, that was last week... and they already have my credit card number and billing information as part of their initial ordering process, so there should not be a non-payment issue or anything. It's truly all 'on them' at this point. I can't say I'm very impressed so far.
Here is a diagram for the E brake

brake.jpg

I just received a note from Inline Tube with a Fedex tracking number. Stuff should be here next Tuesday. That sucks... but still doable. I have enough to keep me busy this weekend, but I'll have to scramble a bit next weekend to get the fuel AND brake lines in, along with the engine & tranny AND be able to fire it up. Regardless, everything will be in the car by the end of next weekend... running or not.

Drove my 72 coupe to work today and stopped for gas and added a bottle od Redline SI-1 to clean out the fuel system, hopefully it does a good job. It seemed to drive nice during the commute (42 miles). It has been hesitating a lot lately and I just don't know if there is clogging in the fuel system someplace or what, but it did drive nice. the other day I replaced the flopping right side mirror lens assembly (racing mirrors) so I am no longer looking at the road lines when I am driving.

Opened the door to look at the car now that the anuual outage is officially over tonight!! :D Shortest day 13.5 hrs. Longest day, 18.5. Looking at the condition of the garage it may break a record to clean it back up tomorrow to get started! :dodgy:

Today, I got the carb, distributor, coil, and heater hose outlet installed, along with getting the tank prepped (sending unit, seal, and filler neck seal installed). Also made sure I have all the parts to rebuild the rear brake drums, then chased down the status on brake drums from O'Reilly Auto Parts - they should be in Tuesday, as should the fuel lines, brake lines and hardware from Inline Tube... according to the Fedex tracking number. Also had to pick up a distributor hold-down clip while at O'Reilly's.

Just got home a short while ago to my headers and exhaust system on the front porch waiting for me. Yay!

It's so much more fun putting new parts on the car, than it is to cut stuff off and replace it (all the time in anticipation of one day getting to put new parts on). ;) :D

Good luck Eric, nothing like having your own "deadline" like the TV resto shows...
LOL. Yeah, they make it look so easy too!
Yeah - isn't it funny how everything sounds so much easier and less time consuming when you're talking about it, than it is when you're actually doing it? LOL!

Here is a diagram for the E brake
Is there an actual bracket ahead of where the front cable meets the rear cable (equalizer)? If so, does anybody have a picture? I haven't actually started looking for mine in earnest, but I'm not entirely sure I still have it. Looks like it would be easy enough to fabricate if I need to.

Thanks in advance!

I went to the body shop to visit the Mach 1. Still on schedule to be finished by mid June. The car now has no hood, deck lid, or doors. Should be heading to the paint booth soon.

Made an attempt to remove the front bumper.

Recently bought a repro bumper from Don of OMS.

He also sold me an original 1971 grill completely

intact since my old one is falling apart. Came with

all the trim around the corral and edges. Turns out

the trim is steel and not sure if it is chrome plated or

just highly polished. Back to the bumper. So I got a

#4 phillips head with 3/8 socket. We don't get good

purchase as someone has buggered the heads in the past.

Next is the cutting wheel so we saw off the head of one

of the screws, a lot of work but only 5 to go. Then we

have a bunch of threads still attached to the frame. Now

we are considering removing the frame the bumper is

attached to. Why did Ford use phillips head screws and frame

nuts on the front and regular stove bolts with locking nuts

in the rear. Another Ford engineering mystery I guess.

mike

Today I will clean and polish my rims for tomorrow -> StreetMag Hamburg ;)

And maybe I can fix that wiperthingy...

Got some more done today. Rebuilt the rear brakes, even though the drums won't be here until Tuesday. 'Blasted and repainted the alternator bracket 'kit' I received from Don (thank you!) along with the e-brake pedal assembly. Put some more small things on the engine and inspected the headers and exhaust kit - which I would've been putting on along with the fuel tank if my stuff from Inline Tube had gotten here sooner. Oh well - I guess I get to do it all next weekend then.

Brake backing plates off the car. The left one got dunked and scrubbed in the parts washer (since it was a gunky), and I just decided to 'blast the one on the right since it was just rusty:

537540_433474579996799_100000027814872_1559658_1725767650_n.jpg

Here's the driver side all put back together (minus the drum) - flip the picture over and it looks just like the other side ;) . I'm concentrating on getting it rolling with the e-brake - I'll pull the axle and rebuild it later:

555359_433474596663464_100000027814872_1559659_1545975339_n.jpg

More engine candy: Edelbrock 1406 carb, Cardone dizzy, Accel super coil, Don's alternator bracket, and some other cool stuff (including a few months worth of dust on the fan blades):

542144_433474629996794_100000027814872_1559660_1108156464_n.jpg

I decided to toss on the flip-open cap I got from OMS to make the ol' girl feel pretty with some new 'jewelery.' ;) :

380305_433474656663458_100000027814872_1559661_1169220016_n.jpg

And finally, here's the underside of the trunk all sealed up and undercoated... just waiting for the new tank to go it. Like I said, I'll pull the axle and clean it all up later:

534431_433474676663456_100000027814872_1559662_541745327_n.jpg

Tomorrow, I should be able to get the forward e-brake cable bracket fabricated (if I can't locate the original one) and installed, along with finishing up the e-brake installation. Also, should have time to clean up the tranny (or at least power wash it with some Engine Gunk) and maybe give it a coat of paint.

Eric, All that hard work is really paying off. Looks great! Got nthe garage back in order and assessed the staggered shock mount I was working on 3 weeks ago to get back on track. I think my tools missed me.

Just got home from 30 days field training. Putting together some plans for the car, just minor stuff to be able to drive it around safely before I deploy in Sept-August.

Brakes still don't really work; car is having a strange starting/charging problem; and I need a new driver side mirror, as it has broken clean off its base.

Back