What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why are there high fences around the young trees in the old photos?
I'm assuming the fences around the trees are there to either stop horse munching on the trees, or to stop horse carts from hitting the trees, or both.

Here's another one that I've just finished adding color to from 1875, and how it looks now:

The fences may have worked since the trees are much bigger  :whistling:

Well, I'm done with the Mustang for now, nothing more to do until something breaks or it needs tuning. 

So my neighbor was throwing out this cast iron and wood 2 seat bench. It was really rusty and the wood was pretty much rotted. My wife saw it and said "Honey, I think you could fix that" So I dutifully picked it up and dragged it to our back yard. 

The frame actually was easy to just wire brush with an electric drill and spray with rust converter/primer. I took the wood off and sent some to my step kids uncle who has a wood shop. He owed me a favor, so I got all wood for free. I chose ASH as it is hard yet flexible.

It actually turned out very well and the wifey is happy, but I bet the neighbor will be pissed when he sees it!!

Here's a couple of pics.

Inlaid glass detail.

Working on finishing our basement. Had to cut a big old hole in floor to build steps down to basement. Still got some framing to do and more drywall, but it’s coming along.

Got it a little more done on basement. It’s all framed up. Stairs are built. Drywall is hung. Now I got my buddy coming to do the finish work on my drywall. Can’t wait till that’s done!!! Then onto laminate floor, doors and trim! Also have banister to build. But it’s getting closer. 

net photo upload

I started adapting the rotisserie to fit the 73 Q vert. It had never had anything newer than a 1968 mustang on it. I had to drill couple new holes to bolt the arms on where the bumper mounts. In the rear normally you hook up to the rear spring mount on the frame. I wanted to leave the rear in the car since it has all new bushings, springs, sway bar rubbers and such. So I fabricated two brackets that will bolt up where the shipping brackets were and where trailer hitch bolts up. There are to spacers in the frame there. So I got the brackets cut out and fitting will weld another mounting tab on tomorrow. Will have 4, 1/2" bolts in the front and three 7/116" in the rear. Went to Tractor Supply with my mask on and got the hardware. 

I had never looked at the axles but appears by looking at the face to have 31 spline axles and the PO says it has a Detroit Locker. I will probably pull axles and center out to see if it does. It for sure is at least Traction Loc both tires turn same way when you rotate.

Need to work in garden tomorrow.

David- with the parking brake set and the transmission in neutral if you can rotate the driveshaft about 60 degrees it is a Detroit.  Any other diff will only turn a few degrees.
Don't have a transmission in the car and no brake cables hooked up. So if I pull the brake cables tight I should be able to rotate the yoke 60 deg?? It did make clicking noise when I was moving it around. I understand a Detroit locker is not good for road coarse racing. Do you know anything about that? I was told it would make the back end kick out too easily. 

I know the drifting cars I have see really sound like they are going to break something when going slow and making tight turns. The rear pops and cracks.

Yep- just pull the parking brake cables and give the yoke a twist.

I dug around to see if I could find the instruction manual section from a Detroit locker that explains why it is normal to have the 60 degree pinion play. It can make for quite a clunk going from forward to reverse.

I have one in my 4x4 pickup and I couldn’t imagine driving around on the street with one in my mustang. Cantankerous to say the least.

I volunteered at the local food bank with my wife and youngest son then hit a Mexican restaurant (50% seating) for a great lunch. The place filled quick and the little town is clearly coming alive again. A great day frankly.

I have been tuning up a used lathe I got almost a decade ago. The lathe would literally pee oil out of itself in one gear. Finally got it figured out. The gearbox does not have a seal on one shaft that exits the gearbox, just has oil slingers and a drain system. Turns out that whomever cut the gasket for the bearing retainer covered up about 80% of the drain port. A little Fel-Pro sheet gasket and time has it fixed up. It is so nice to not have it bleeding oil!

I was a tool & die maker for many years before going into engineering. When in Tech School one of the idiot students took his apron in his hand and grabbed a bar of steel sticking out the back of a lathe while it was running. Good thing that the teacher took everyone's apron and cut the neck strap and nylon tie string almost into. It ripped it off him before you could blink and eye. If he had not cut those strings would probably been dead.  After that they hung these huge signs in the shop that simply said THINK. 

I taught at the Blue Ridge Community College for a while. It is scary to see some that just do not respect how easily a machine can take you out or take a finger or limb off.

Back