What did you do today instead of working on your Mustang?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sent another rusty one to the scrap pile.
 Huh! wasn't here anything that could be salvaged, a nut or a bolt, something?
There were plenty of parts to salvage, that's what went to the scrap yard. There wasn't a lot left when I picked it up, but I cut then entire front clip off for another project. It did have a perfect condition trunk transition panel that I removed. 

Anyone interested in some sweet unilug White Nugget steel wheels...  ???  LOL
  Yeah, looks like you got the best of it, but always sad to see another Rustang go to the scrap yard in the sky!

I had to get new Goodyears, cheapest brand they had, on the old pick up to pass inspection. Ordered online from Discount Tire had appointment for 12:00 they let me drive truck into stall and out so they did not touch anything but wheels. 

Went to Wal Mart for first time since this all started, got dog food and bird food and few other things. Then off to get inspection. Truck is 2002 with 304,257 miles and passed inspection. I have never taken the radiator cap off same hoses from factory. Most have to change front end stuff but I always have wheels rolling to turn steering which saves all of that. Never been aligned.

Then off to the tag office. The line went half a block to the parking lot. Everyone safe distance and did not take long. To grocery to grab a few things and back home did all in 3.5 hours so a pretty good run. 

Had pretty heavy rain I got me some more hot pepper plants at Wal Mart I need to get in garden. I love spicy food.

I've been absent from this site for a bit. Not much in the way of work on the Mustang for the last few months. But I haven't been twiddling my thumbs and watching paint dry.

Did my first 1911 build. And picked up a couple of 81 JD's for yard/garden work (some minor tinkering involved). 

assembled.jpg

twojd.jpg

I went to a shop party for a shop that does custom automotive fabrication. The shop's lot was packed with people's finished cars. I was the ONLY Ford car in attendance, in that every car there was a modified Camaro, Chevelle, Vette, C-10, etc.  After the party, later, I drove home, feeling happy that although I had less money in my restored Mach 1, I had the most stand out car in attendance. One guy even told me my car was his standout favorite on the whole lot. But then, that's why we don't have Camaros, isn't it?

Went to Austin, TX last Saturday and scored a complete '86 258/T-5/D300 for my pal's '86 Golden Eagle, and found me a 304/TF-999 for my '80 CJ-7. Of all the luck, the 304/TF-999 came with an '80 CJ-7 Laredo, which I'm thinking my other BFF needs a Jeep project, once I swap the 304/TF-999 for my 258/T-176. Also scored an early YJ top for mine (I like the bigger windows), and grabbed some half doors, a YJ soft top, and some 'like new' CJ fenders for my pal's new project.

IMG_0739.jpg

IMG_0734.jpg

IMG_0735.jpg

I got really super lucky. My buddy Harry was looking for a 'new' 258 for his Jeep, and found a guy on Austin Craigslist selling the '80 Laredo, since I'd mentioned a long time ago wanting to swap in an AMC V8 & TF-999 - we were originally thinking of me getting the Jeep, swapping the 304 & TF-999 into mine, using the Jeep for parts, and giving him the 258/T-176, but then he noticed the same guy had another ad for the '86 258/T-5/D300 also for sale. He decided to go for that, and I also found a bunch of other listings (an '89 258/TF-999/D300 and thought about getting that, but then I asked my other buddy Dave if I got the Jeep, if he'd be interested in a project Jeep after I swapped in my 258/T-176 - which he was indeed interested).

So, I've had yet another car-related "SQUIRREL!" moment, but at least it's not a 'new' car project... just freshening up an old one and hookin' up my BFF with a new toy.  At least it's not as bad as my Mustang project started out - with the engine and tranny from my Jeep in there, at least it'll be a runner when Dave comes to pick it up.  ;)

It was one of those weekends I should of stayed home.  Had made reservations to go camping. On the way to the campgrounds had a blow out on the expressway. :classic_angry:   Fun place to be changing a tire. At least it was on the passenger side.  Once we got there for some reason our bedroom slide wouldn't come out.  Finally after several tries got it to go.  Don't know what the problem was.  So much for Friday.   Got rain on most of the day Saturday so a fun day listening to rain hit the top of the trailer..  Go to pack up and leave today and had trouble getting my hitch to lock.  After  several attempts I climb up in the bed of the truck to see what was causing the problem and when I was getting back down I slipped and fell hurting my shoulder.   :whistling:    Any body looking for a 5th wheel camper. 

20200821_140815_resized.jpg

Oh man, that sucks!  Are you OK?  Hopefully, that's all the bad juju you need for awhile.

It was one of those weekends I should of stayed home.  Had made reservations to go camping. On the way to the campgrounds had a blow out on the expressway. :classic_angry:   Fun place to be changing a tire. At least it was on the passenger side.  Once we got there for some reason our bedroom slide wouldn't come out.  Finally after several tries got it to go.  Don't know what the problem was.  So much for Friday.   Got rain on most of the day Saturday so a fun day listening to rain hit the top of the trailer..  Go to pack up and leave today and had trouble getting my hitch to lock.  After  several attempts I climb up in the bed of the truck to see what was causing the problem and when I was getting back down I slipped and fell hurting my shoulder.   :whistling:    Any body looking for a 5th wheel camper. 

View attachment 44024
Tire may have wiped out the wiring for the slider.  I am convinced that trailer tires self destruct when they are 48 months old.

Oh man, that sucks!  Are you OK?  Hopefully, that's all the bad juju you need for awhile.
Meant to get back to you.  Yes I'm fine.  Was sore for a few days.  Got 4 new Goodyear Endurance  tires put on last Thursday.   New project  - just got done putting front brakes on my Ram 3500.  Will do the rear next week.  Also sprucing up the underside while I'm at it.   Heading out again this weekend with the camper for a 3 day trip to Rising Sun Indiana.  They have a car show there on Saturday and another one right up the road in Lawrenceburg on Sunday.  Would love to take the car but can't do both.  

Last edited by a moderator:
I was getting ready to push the 72 Q vert into the work room. Decided i would build me a cart to keep all my sanding and body work stuff handy and in order. I had a cabinet but not on wheels so lots of back and forth to get paper, filler or what I needed. 
I had several roll around cabinets I picked up at the local Goodwill store so I took one and added a couple uprights that are just 2X4 with one inch holes drilled through one side and partially through the other side. Took 3/4" EMT, conduit and but to length. I now have a huge roll of paper shop towels, masking paper, wide and narrow, all the different grits for DA, and different grits of the 3-M stick back paper for blocking. Added some screws at the open end where you insert the conduit to prevent them coming out. Added a couple cross bars so I could label the different grits. 
Can store sanders and block in the bottom cabinet along with Bondo and hardener. Some screws down the sides to hold tap rolls, scissors and other odds and ends. Now I can just push around the car on the rotisserie and save lots of walking. Will add a small trash can to the side to toss used paper in. 

Today I am building the door to close off the work room and hold the blower that will supply clean air to the room when painting. 

20200905_150258.jpg

20200905_155857.jpg

20200905_155906.jpg

20200905_155926.jpg

20200905_160237.jpg

20200905_160300.jpg

Out camping again this weekend.  Got to go to 2 local car shows and see some really nice cars.  Out of the 400 plus cars between the two shows did not see a single 71 -73 there.  I will be taking mine next year.  Also clayed bar my truck.  Going to buff and polish this week.  Much needed.

20200905_123001_resized.jpg

20200905_123044_resized.jpg

20200905_123536_resized.jpg

20200905_123614_resized.jpg

20200906_135953_resized.jpg

"The only dumb question is the one not asked" 

Does that camper come with a pool ?  :biggrin:  .............mighty fine stuff there!! 

I wish we could have a car show around here. The covid rules still wont allow it. If any of you want to go to the most beautiful place in the world? Go to Josher Oregon car show next year. Lots of cars and the town is closed just for the car show and patroons of it. There is Food, Bands (50-60 music), lots of cars. 

Swapped light bulbs in the garage.  I had 52 32 watt 4’ T8 fluorescent bulbs.  Now have 52 16 watt LED bulbs (Philips 16t8/led/48-850/uf18/g).

Chopped my lighting power usage in half.  Pretty pleased with the light.  Output seems the same, and there is no strobe affect like I have seen with some LED bulbs.  To top it off they are non retrofit- so you  just slap them in (don’t have to gut the ballast).  That being said they won’t work with old school magnetic ballasts.

E9637626-1111-4FBC-BFF8-A572DDCC0B1A.jpeg

I spent the day at the studio with our singer while she recorded some vocals for our new album.... so nothing car related at all... but I’d choose time with her over a car anytime. :) 

Back