WIDE-BODY KIT FROM SCRATCH

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just did a Google for "Mustang Logo" and found a bunch of cool things you could use for inspiration:

stock-vector-set-of-wild-mustang-horses-tattoos-isolated-on-white-or-logo-template-50185594.jpg

royalty-free-of-a-logo-of-a-gray-horse-head-with-black-hair-by-chromaco-5980.jpg

horse-mustang-bronco-mascot-logo-11323093.jpg

Just some ideas.

Thanks guys. I had the idea of maybe not using the horse and taking a page out of Shelbys book and do a snake but not a Cobra. That's his. A friend of mine suggested a Python. He said that the back of the car looked like it just swallowed something big lol. Rather than poison in its victim it will squeeze the life out of it. I kinda like the analogy. My only dilemma now is mine looking too much like a Viper emblem.

image.jpegI sketched this up as a basic layout. I think I'm pretty happy with the direction. It may get some tweaking. 2" x 4" it can't have too much detail for the CNC machine on such a small piece.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.pngSaturday I chose to work on the final design for the chin spoiler so I could make it, figure out solid mounting points, paint it black or wrap it, and then put it aside. At first I was going for the more dramatic larger shape but....

image.png...then it got resized to this look. The turned up end pieces are smaller and shorter than before and I think it gives a more TRANSAM racing feel to the front.

image.jpegWorking on another stripe lay out. I may need to fill the side marker light if I go this way. Looks much better in person. This phone distorts the lines and makes the front facia of the car look much thicker or taller than it really is.

image.jpegThe top body line is not nearly as pronounced in person and doesn't clash with the stripe. Front looks meaner with the band over the hood.

image.pngWith all the great things this car will get over this build, the one thing I was on the fence about was air conditioning. Now I'm thinking all the obvious reasons why someone doesn't go with air are no longer out weighing the amount of comfort it offers. Really hot and humid summers here in Toronto. I've called Classic air and March performance pullies to coordinate a set up that will work with my 347. Going with air is not only going to add comfort and luxury to the car it will also solve a few problems I had to throw additional money at. Things like brackets that worked for me, custom lower pulley for the crank to get my electric water pump to fit and some other issues. All these things get wiped clean with the parts I get from March. I also like the stock located controls and vents that Classic designed. I'd be happy to hear reviews from anyone who bought Classic's air set up. This image shows the two belt system exactly the way it would fit a 302 base motor. I'm supplying my own water and power steering pumps and both belts. Everything else is provided.

I added Classic Auto Air to my heater only car 4-5 years ago. Works well, but . . . as it is set up there is no fresh air option, it is like running a new car on recirculate all the time. The stock fuse block hook up they recommend isn't really practical as there is not glass 25 amp fuse that will fit in the stock location. Not a big deal, but be prepared to tweak the wiring a bit.

Thanks for the heads up. Must feel great to stay cool when you really need it. In my case I was lucky enough to discover a Ron Francis panel and harness when I tore the car down.

I really like that last stripe design over the hood at the front and back along the sides. Kinda like a revised Boss 302 scheme but still a very unique look.

Thanks Mike. I've since made further mods to it to make it even more Boss like and less 68 Camaro lol. I figure if 68 Camaro came to my mind it would for others as well.

Thanks Mike. I've since made further mods to it to make it even more Boss like and less 68 Camaro lol. I figure if 68 Camaro came to my mind it would for others as well.

Mate this stripe is really cool, something a little different from the norm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks Chopper. Minus a couple of small changes its the way I'm going to go. It really shows off that side body line in a way that the stock side stripe doesn't. Kinda hides it I think and it really needs to be seen. Plus it makes for a cool 70 Shelby beak that I love so much with the front of the hood and bumper ( in body colour instead of chrome however).

LOOKS GREAT!!!! I would love to see this car in person someday..... keep up the great work

image.jpegPushed it outside. Still working on laying out the stripes. Car looks very different when you can stand farther away from it and see the overall shapes. Getting close with the final lay out. I'm planning on getting these quarters mended on finally by the end of August. Goal is paint before Christmas. Definitely needs to be cooler in my shop. There is no way I'm wearing a protective coverall in this heat and I can't bodywork in shorts and a t-shirt. With the work I do daily I'd say my health is already stressed and working with fibreglass filler doesn't help. In the mean time mechanical will get whatever time I can give. I chose to ditch the air because of the difficulty in holding an idle with the fuel injection system without spending another bunch of money on a module to handle the sudden draw, dropping the idle. It becomes erratic or shuts off. I figure I wouldn't use it enough to be worth the time, money and effort. Still going to use the March system though.

Back