Zero lash

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They would be very brief squirts, dependent on how far they come out (probably not very much), and happen faster than an oil pressure gauge could respond, especially an electric one. Yes, I believe there would be a drop in oil pressure, but probably not huge, and the pressure may still be in the normal range. The oil supply to the lifters is fairly substantial, as they also have to lubricate the rockers via the push rods and the cam lobes.
Gotcha. I did change my gauges from the factory ones. But the new oil pressure gauge is still electric. Was getting some erratic readings the last time I was on the freeway. Got right off there but on the way back home oil pressure was fine. I just thought my ground on my gauges weren’t making a good connection, it happened before, but I now don’t think that was the case.

That’s when it really started running like crap. I messed with the carb, timing and ignition, drove it a couple more times very briefly and then checked the rockers.

So I have tried to reset the lash, but the lifters just won’t stay pumped up. I did remove and cut open the oil filter and it looks good. No metal particles or pieces of any kind so at least the camshaft should be fine. I now need to remove the intake manifold and try to soak the lifters in oil to see if I can get them to pump up. I know that they need to be put back in the same bore, so I will make sure of that.

I guess now I’m wondering if I did get a bad set of lifters. If so, will I be able to put new ones in with the camshaft I have in the engine? It only has 1200-1300 miles on it. I will ask Crower and see what they say too.

Get new lifters and do a normal break-in just like you did when cam was new. I dealt with same issues for quite a while......several bad sets of lifters.

Last edited by a moderator:
Get new lifters and do a normal break-in just like you did when cam was new. I dealt with same issues for quite a while......several bad sets of lifters.
Thanks turtle, that’s what I figured I could do. Sure wish I would have went with a roller cam now.
You still can. Although it will require a little more tear down than just removing intake to change lifters. But it can be done with the motor still in the car.

Pull the distributor and run the oil pump with a drill and see what happens.  You have nothing to lose
+1
+2You need to pressurize the lifters. When i adjusted mine i checked the pushrod slack while i was turning the oil pump with the drill. Thats the way to guarantee you are doing it right. I even installed a cheap Harbor Freight mechanical oil pressure gauge to know where the pressure was. With the drill and cold oil i was at about 60+ psi.

Btw, if you have a two speed drill make sure you are at the low speed or risk burning the drill's motor. Dont ask me how i know.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ok, thanks guys, more good advice. But I gotta ask, why did so many bleed down so much? It never sat for a long period of time. And if I do get them to pump up, what will keep this from happening again? I’ve never had this happen to any of my cars before, so I guess that’s why I don’t understand what caused this. I understand how the lifters work and all that, seen the insides of them.

Anyway I will be pulling the distributor out to remove the intake. But before I do, I will spin the oil pump and see what happens first. I have to get a new oil filter before that though.

oil pressure should keep them pumped up once the engine is running. They may clatter on start up. I don't know what lifters you are using, but if they pump up, I would stab the distributor and run it enough to see if you actually have a problem

If you run it regularly they should not bleed down. I’m guessing you got a couple bad lifters. Even if they do pump up, I wouldnt want to hear them clatter every time I fire it up from them bleeding off. They should not bleed off that quickly.

oil pressure should keep them pumped up once the engine is running. They may clatter on start up.  I don't know what lifters you are using, but if they pump up, I would stab the distributor and run it enough to see if you actually have a problem
I have the Crower Cam Saver lifters.

They weren’t staying pumped up and got pretty noisy last time I had it running. The valves were not opening up enough and it was popping and spitting black un-burnt fuel out the tailpipes. The left side was the worst, and that’s the side I found the sloppiest rockers. There’s others too. It got worse and worse every time I tried to find the issue. Last time I had it running it barely made it around the block.

Nothing came loose and I talked to the shop owner who assembled the engine. I know they set the lash correct to begin with cause it was really running good. He even thinks I got some bad lifters too. I am curious to see if they will pump up with a drill, but I really don’t think they will. As soon as I get some time I will see what happens, really very busy with work this time of the year. Not in a big rush but I want to figure this out.

Finally had a little time to work on my engine. I removed the distributor and I spun the oil pump a little, but my cheap electric drill started to smoke. I did get some oil up to the rockers on the passenger side but couldn’t see any on the other side. I want to spin it some more and I will use my air drill. I should be turning it it counterclockwise, correct? Or does it matter?

I can now feel the lifters have pumped up, but I want to spin the pump some more. Then I can go thru and reset the lash if they seem like they stay pumped.

Yes it maters - Counter clockwise.  Sounds a little promising. Hope they pump up for you and you get the lash set.
Ya I can’t believe I even asked that. I know that the distributor turns that way, duh, lol. I did it more and I figured I would just let it set for awhile and see if I can push any down. I have the motor at TDC, so both the #1 intake  and exhaust valves are closed and the lifers are firm.

Ok, so it sat for about an hour and the intake valve on #1 is solid, but the exhaust is already mushy. I didn’t move the crank at all. There’s gotta be something wrong with the lifters. 

I will try again tomorrow if I can, done for tonight.

I agree with that. Have never seen anything like this before. I just figured I would give it a try.

I have the intake pretty much ready to pull off and hopefully I’ll have time to remove it this weekend.

I agree with that. Have never seen anything like this before. I just figured I would give it a try.

I have the intake pretty much ready to pull off and hopefully I’ll have time to remove it this weekend.
At least you tried before replacing. Basically, you are saying that after pressurizing they bled just with the weight of the lifter with no pressure from the spring. You can weld them together and make a 16 lifter tall tower decorative lamp out of them.

Back