4r70w current day swap info

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrxerox

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach One
Hello gang, great board here! I have a 71 Mach with a 408c 505hp with 3.89s and a 9" rear. Currently running a mighty mouse C4 with a 3000 stall that runs great. However, being primarily a street car, the RPMs on the highway have gotten old and I am looking into the 4r70w swap. I have located a 2002 out of a 3.8 v6 with 90k on it and stock converter for $200. I have been roaming old threads here on the subject but am having a hard time piecing it all together with the old and newer info. It seems as if user "InjectedMach" used to sell a crossmember and other parts that gave much more clearance etc but it does not look like he has been on the board in a long time. Would any of your guys please point me in the right direction on what the best way to go about this swap is including any freshening up/mods i should do to the tranny and install tips/components to use? I am running hooker super comp long tube headers if that matters. Thanks and I look forward to becoming an active member of this awesome forum!

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome from Iowa. Cant help you on that particular trans swap but I'm sure someone on here will chime in. Post up some pics of the car. Sounds like a great ride.

Welcome from Iowa. Cant help you on that particular trans swap but I'm sure someone on here will chime in. Post up some pics of the car. Sounds like a great ride.
Thanks! Picture added.

Hello guys im still here and still make the installation kits. you must use the stock floor ford shifter and a v6 trans, its how the crossmember, shift rod and range selector switch mount was designed.
text me at 2059994667 or email at [email protected]

Has anyone swapped one of these into a 71-73 convertible? I'm looking at going that route but the extra bracing makes things a bit tight. I did a search but couldn't find any examples done on a convertible.
it fits but you have to have a really good exhaust guy to go inside the tunnel reinforcement plate.

Hello guys im still here and still make the installation kits. you must use the stock floor ford shifter and a v6 trans, its how the crossmember, shift rod and range selector switch mount was designed.
text me at 2059994667 or email at [email protected]
Why the V6 trans? Does it have to be upgraded or rebuilt to handle a stout Cleveland? Is the V6 a 4R70 trans or just the AODE? Thanks.

The V6 transmission has the same bell housing bolt pattern as both the Windsor and Cleveland. So either a 3.8 Mustang V6 or a 4.2 F150 v6 will work. If it's out of a truck make sure that its a 2 wheel drive.
On my ragtop, the exhaust was/is my concern. I was looking at this part. But I doubt it will clear the transmission pan. https://www.tinmanfabrication.com/i...ct_id=150/category_id=60/mode=prod/prd150.htm

Why the V6 trans? Does it have to be upgraded or rebuilt to handle a stout Cleveland? Is the V6 a 4R70 trans or just the AODE? Thanks.
the v6 shares the SBF pattern that is 260 to 351c and most L6. a stock v6 will handle up to 600hp all day every day provided you do the valve body upgrade that baumann offers. its sometimes called the J mod. the best v6 trans that already has the mods applied from ford is the 03 and 04. late in 04 the stopped using the output shafts that had the speedo drive made in so if sourcing one just remove the blind speedo plug and stick your finger in the hole if you feel threads you are good. Most everyone now is using aftermarket gps or hall effect speedo drives so its becoming less a problem.
the mod is required because the smooth shifting trans is programmed through those holes in the valve body but the baumann controller allows you to firm up the shift points by increasing the clamping loads on the clutch packs. my 355 cleveland made 525hp and the trans never hiccupped once and is still in service since 2005. it was a 2000 v6 trans and if you get a low mileage one it will be just fine. I used the stock converter and all.
I chose the v6 trans cause they are plentiful, not used for racing or towing and in my experience, are bulletproof. i di not rebuild it and advise not to.
you will need a 164 tooth flexplate in the balance of your engine...be it 28/50/0 and you can and should use a 2000 explorer 5.0 small starter. you will also need the engine block plate and the 71-73 cars will need a 50.5 inch driveshaft, have and aluminum one built(trust me on that), and the slip yoke must be for a 4r70w. most ford trans are the same 28 spline but the 4r yoke has a larger od and must be used.

Last edited:
The V6 transmission has the same bell housing bolt pattern as both the Windsor and Cleveland. So either a 3.8 Mustang V6 or a 4.2 F150 v6 will work. If it's out of a truck make sure that its a 2 wheel drive.
On my ragtop, the exhaust was/is my concern. I was looking at this part. But I doubt it will clear the transmission pan. https://www.tinmanfabrication.com/i...ct_id=150/category_id=60/mode=prod/prd150.htm
This is really good information as I am about to swop out my FMX for an overdrive that will be bolted to a 351c.I do have a question or two. I found a V6 3.8 mustang transmission. Should I make sure I get the flex plat, torque converter, driveshaft yoke and any shift cables?

Last edited:
Agree on importance of J-Mod. Also, you will need hardened half shaft with >500 HP. I learned that the hard way ((or in this case, the not-hard-enough way). You might want a 3000 or so stall.

Here is one from this forum:
https://7173mustangs.com/threads/fmx-to-aod-swap.40125/There are others, just search this forum for them.

With an AODE or 4R70W the electronic controller allows you to easily set shift points. The 4R70W has the wide ratio gear set with a lower first gear.

The wide ratio gear set will fit in the AOD.

Two critical issues with the AOD. If the kickdown cable isn't connected and adjusted correctly the transmission will destroy itself. The input shaft is the weak link, due to it being hollow for the lockup rod for the lockup torque converter. Depending on your engine's torque you may need a hardened input shaft or do away with the lockup torque converter and install a solid input shaft.

Does anyone know if Joe Persad is still active? I am doing a 4R70W in my '73 Convertible with rebuilt 351 Cleveland and need one of his kits. Thanks!

Does anyone know if Joe Persad is still active? I am doing a 4R70W in my '73 Convertible with rebuilt 351 Cleveland and need one of his kits. Thanks!

He was just on yesterday, he left his email address in his posts. @InjectedMach

Back